Bioware's "Weird Quest"

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Lets face it, every Bioware game has at least one quest which just leaves the player going "What the fuck?"

Here are my observations from the Bioware games I have played.

Knights of the Old Republic: The Mystery Box.
-In this weird quest, you tempt fate, and get sucked through a portal of doom into a box with one very lonely alien. What follows is a riddle contest pulled straight from the hobbit, with the stakes being who's soul gets to inherit your outside body.

Jade Empire: The Gender Swap
-Out of the blue, following some strange instructions, your character finds a way to accidentally switch genders for a few seconds. It is just so random and comes out of nowhere that I classify it a weird quest.

Mass Effect: Conrad Vernor
-Commander Shepard gets his own fanboy, with a number of hilarious options to choose from. Not really too much else, since Mass Effect is trying to get away with being realistic.

Dragon Age Origins: Superman Crash Lands In Ferelden
-In a random encounter available with the Warden's Keep DLC, Superman's origin plays out. A child is picked up by an elderly couple after a meteor strike.

Mass Effect 2: Pyjak Blasting
-Again, Mass Effect is trying to be more realistic, so it is a bit of a reach. But the quest is so fun and random that it can't help but get on this list. Only Krogan would use rocket launchers to kill space monkeys.

So those are my picks for the Bioware Weird Quests. I haven't played Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights, so I can't say anything about those.

Comment and leave your picks for weird quests that you have encountered in your games.

muffincakes

Nov 20, 2008
Baldur's Gate: The pantaloons!

It spans the games, but you can get gold, silver, and bronze pantaloons and
Combine them to form a giant suit of armor(golem) and a crossbow/grenade launcher/flame thrower

Possibly the most random and hard to complete quest if you don't know what you're looking for.

Also, if you let Noober talk to you enough you get some xp. I don't know if you'd count that as a quest, but it sure as hell is weird.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
In TES IV's shivering isles expansion, you had some weird quests. One guy who wanted help to find a sleeping spot outside so that the walls (which were perfectly sturdy) wouldn't fall on him, a woman who needs magic pants to survive a non-existent apocalypse, and so on.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I've forgotten where the Mystery Box is. Could anybody tell me? Also yes, BioWare loves those Easter Eggs.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Pyjak blasting is actually a reference to a side quest on one of the random planets in Mass Effect. You had to VERY CAREFULLY move the Mako around to these groups of pyjaks scattered all over the world and check to see if they had this item that had bee stolen from someone.

6 groups of monkeys later, you were ready to squash the bastards and take the renegade points...

I actually thought the weirdest quest in ME2 was seducing Morinth. It was kind of a "lol wut?" moment for me, but it's made up for by getting to see Shepard fail dance,

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
The orphanage in Dragon Age, the game suddenly takes a weird and out of place (but effective) horror route.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
lax4life said:
I've forgotten where the Mystery Box is. Could anybody tell me? Also yes, BioWare loves those Easter Eggs.
You pick up the mission on Korriban. Talk to the Rodian outside the Cantina. He'll give you the combination to the secret compartment in the Ebon Hawk's cargo hold. After you give him the contents of the compartment, he'll ask you to pass a package on to the Hutt on Tatooine.

If you accept, the mystery box appears on your ship. You can leave it alone, or tempt fate.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Hey that Superman easter egg gives us access to one of the best weapons in the game.

I <3 u starfang

Sad that they don't allow you to import it (as well as blood dragon armor srsly wtf) to the exp pack.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
muffincakes said:
Baldur's Gate: The pantaloons!

It spans the games, but you can get gold, silver, and bronze pantaloons and
Combine them to form a giant suit of armor(golem) and a crossbow/grenade launcher/flame thrower

Possibly the most random and hard to complete quest if you don't know what you're looking for.

Also, if you let Noober talk to you enough you get some xp. I don't know if you'd count that as a quest, but it sure as hell is weird.
The experience is because you succeeded in not killing him.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
Weird quest for me goes to the psychodelic one in the Point Looking DLC for Fallout 3. The whole thing is just fucking with your mind basically. I especially loved the little vaultboy bobbleheads that just pay you out along the way.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
spectrenihlus said:
Hey that Superman easter egg gives us access to one of the best weapons in the game.

I <3 u starfang

Sad that they don't allow you to import it (as well as blood dragon armor srsly wtf) to the exp pack.
But you can!

This mod allows you to import all DLC items to awakening :)

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=874

I felt so lost without my warden-commander armor hehe :)

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Mekado said:
spectrenihlus said:

I <3 u starfang

But you can!

I quite enjoyed the mod that offered a better version of Warden-commander armor. The one in the DLC is good for the start of the game but it's rubbish compared to the Juggernaut or Blood Dragon or even the Dragon Bone Armor. Really, all that DLC is good for is quickly getting an above average set of items for a warrior and a few odds and ends to help a mage and rogue.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
Eclectic Dreck said:
Mekado said:
spectrenihlus said:

I <3 u starfang

But you can!

I quite enjoyed the mod that offered a better version of Warden-commander armor. The one in the DLC is good for the start of the game but it's rubbish compared to the Juggernaut or Blood Dragon or even the Dragon Bone Armor. Really, all that DLC is good for is quickly getting an above average set of items for a warrior and a few odds and ends to help a mage and rogue.
Well, i usually play a dual-weapons warrior so the energy cost reduction pretty much ensure i can chain abilities + when it's dragonbone it's quite good as far as defense goes...imo anyways :)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Yassen said:
Weird quest for me goes to the psychodelic one in the Point Looking DLC for Fallout 3. The whole thing is just fucking with your mind basically. I especially loved the little vaultboy bobbleheads that just pay you out along the way.
"yeeesh! if I had a kid as ugly as that I'd abondon it too" meanwhile mum is a skeleton on an operating table....yes it was very weird and unexpected and awsome too

(what I found interesting were the dead charahcters floating in the water, and that Moira brown was one of them, I supose you kind of liked her even after all the crap she put you through)

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
Mass Effect 2

Citadel: Krogan Sushi. You overhear two Krogans talking about infiltrating the presidium and stealing fish from the lakes.

Dragon Age

Unbound. You have to find three random, seemingly unrelated notes and pieces of dialogue, which lead you to a nondescript house in a back alley in Denerim. When you enter, you have to fight Gaxkang the Unbound, the second hardest enemy in the game. Only the Archdemon is tougher than him. He drops some phat l00tz.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
ultrachicken said:
RatRace123 said:
The orphanage in Dragon Age, the game suddenly takes a weird and out of place (but effective) horror route.
What orphanage is this?
In the alienage near the end of the game, you get it as a sidequest after the "Unrest in the Alienage" main quest.