Birdman Is Pretentious, But That Doesn't Mean It's Not Fun

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
jabrwock said:
These death threats don't come out of left field. They come from a growing perceived loss of privilege, and a slow build up of resentment by those who believe themselves slighted. Eventually culminating in the crap that became GamerGate.
I'd argue that the comparison is still highly uncalled for since I can't recall any instances of so-called film snobs threatening to kill directors of superhero movies.
I'd argue the comparison is still valid. He's talking about the self-entitlement and irrational anger at the core. It may have gone further with gamergate, but they have similar roots. I guess film snobs just aren't a bunch of lippy 12-year olds in 30 year old bodies who are willing to take it to the next level of psychosis.

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. It all depends on how far you let your fear take you.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
jabrwock said:
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
jabrwock said:
These death threats don't come out of left field. They come from a growing perceived loss of privilege, and a slow build up of resentment by those who believe themselves slighted. Eventually culminating in the crap that became GamerGate.
I'd argue that the comparison is still highly uncalled for since I can't recall any instances of so-called film snobs threatening to kill directors of superhero movies.
I'd argue the comparison is still valid. He's talking about the self-entitlement and irrational anger at the core. It may have gone further with gamergate, but they have similar roots.
What ''irrational anger'' is there is saying ''Man, I wish there were a few more high-profile movies that didn't revolve around superheroes''? Or hell, not liking superhero movies, period.

Look, I get that Bob is very passionate about comics and comic book movies; and one can get defensive about the things one is passionate about. I'm just saying that comparing people who dismiss the thing you're passionate about to a hate group is taking it way too far.

I love anime, plenty of people can't stand anime. You don't see me comparing these people to the KKK.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
What ''irrational anger'' is there is saying ''Man, I wish there were a few more high-profile movies that didn't revolve around superheroes''? Or hell, not liking superhero movies, period.
That's not who he's talking about, re-read his rant.

He's talking about the people who, through seeing a few more superhero movies than zero, whine that the industry is "ruined" because they're making nothing but superhero movies nowadays. The type of person who laments the demise of film genre X and blames it on Y because they see a movie of genre Y doing well in the box office.

"The sheeple of today want nothing but flash and bang, and that's why there are no more serious dramas anymore..."

"The sheeple of today want nothing but fan fiction trash, that's why there are no more good vampire movies anymore..."

"The sheeple etc."

That's why it's irrational. They've built up a straw man in their minds, and have assigned it the blame for their perceived (but still fictional) loss.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
jabrwock said:
That's not who he's talking about, re-read his rant.

He's talking about the people who, through seeing a few more superhero movies than zero, whine that the industry is "ruined" because they're making nothing but superhero movies nowadays. The type of person who laments the demise of film genre X and blames it on Y because they see a movie of genre Y doing well in the box office.
If anything, that's a strawman. The argument of most of these ''film snobs'' isn't that too many superhero movies are being made, it's that they're so prevalent and taking up the lion's share of budgets that other types of movies suffer from it.

You (and Bob) can find that elitist; but I don't see what's objectionable about such an opinion, and I've enjoyed plenty of superhero movies.

Then again, that wasn't even my point. My point was - as I'll say for the last time seeing as I'm getting fed up with repeating myself - that it's not classy of Bob to compare people who complain about superhero movies to scumbags who harass and threaten women. Even if the rationalizations are supposedly-kinda-sorta-but-actually-not-when-you-think-about-it-for-even-a-little-bit similar.