Birds

ZeeClone

Jan 14, 2009
So my Mrs & I keep chickens.

We've had them since October last year and we've now got 13 (all were supposed to be girls until one of them started crowing - so the breeder gave us another chick to make up for it)

While I've seen a great many - "So what do you think about..." threads - I can't remember seeing one about pets.

What got us thinking was: Recently, when one of our birds got sick we had to take her to the vet and he said it was increasingly common for people to keep a couple of birds so to my fellow escapists: do you keep chickens? Or something else thats a pet/food?

Gentleman_Reptile

Jan 25, 2010
I had chicken when I was a little kid, too young to remember them though. On the subject of strange pets, I used to have a bird eating spider named Bertha. It won me first prize at my very first pet show.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Good fucking God no. My friend's sister had a chicken (On of her little girls got it), and I stayed with her for a few days.

The damn thing did nothing but shoot crap at me every time I walked by.

MissPixxie

Mar 15, 2010
I don't keep chickens though I'd love to! What kind of chickens are they?

I have a horse and two dogs, who are all batshit crazy =]

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
My brother and mother wanted to keep chickens for a while. But I think our garden is too small, and we can't be bothered...
No pets here. Wish I had a cat or something though. :/

Divine Miss Bee

Feb 16, 2010
my house has three dogs, and cat, and seven chickens. i don't mind them much, though our rooster crows at all hours of the day and night and drives me absolutely mental at times. i like our house full of animals, and the free eggs are great.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
My boyfriend does but I'm not a huge fan. Farm birds frighten me a little bit, I always think they'll attack my ankles.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
We got a chicken and we bred it out ourselves its very tame and easily walks inside if you forget to close the back door.

It even ate from our dog food one time.

We also always have had pigeons they used to have hatchlings too but for the past years nothing really happend with them.

This summer we are going to try to get fertilized eggs of a certain breed. Still discussing what breed we should get. But I tell you if you raise them from the point where they just hatched. They will become very tame and friendly towards humans. And they make great pets.

Also our chicken is half the size of our local housecats but still will go after and fight a cat if they are in our backyard.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I know someone who owns an alpaca (sp?). They sometimes make clothes out of it's wool, and it's really warm. I couldn't be bothered to keep a pet like that though, as awesome as it is.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
5 cats, 5 dogs, over a thousand pigeons (the skies were blackened with flesh and feathers within moments of the crack of thunder) and we had a chicken and a bantam. They both died before their time :( They were good pets, as tame as any dogs.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I'd want a chicken, or a penguin, as a pet.

The latter is impossible to do but the former may shit on the floor.

I have a cat right now though so I don't imagine him as food.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I never did, but a friend of mine does own some. They own a rooster too and that bird is an asshole, he doesn't like anyone except their family dog. I don't know how many times that bird has come close to coming after me because I happened to walk by his little area.

Personally, I don't think I will because I don't want to get too close with my food.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...I hate taking care of chickens (vindictive, smelly little shits that they are), but I love eating them (and their eggs). It's a bit of a conundrum. Thankfully I have supermarkets... for now.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Nope, I do not keep birds.

And the farmer thought the bird was a hen before it started to crown?
You might say he counted his chickens before they had hatched, I guess.

MintyNinja

Sep 17, 2009
I grew up in an area mainly populated by farmers, ranchers, and animals. We had a coop of 25 and I still remember having to shovel inches of shit off the floor. But we made a bit of a profit selling eggs to a restaurant. That was before a coyote broke into the pen.

ZeeClone

Jan 14, 2009
MissPixxie said:
I don't keep chickens though I'd love to! What kind of chickens are they?

I have a horse and two dogs, who are all batshit crazy =]
Nasdaq is a welsummer cock
We've got 2 white rocks - Becky & Gruffalo
3 Sussex's - Daisy, Lulu & Marmaduke
A Pole/leghorn cross called Troy
2 rhode island red hybrids called Duck & Cartoon
Finally two mongrel birds - Attila and Kuku

You'd be amazed just how little space you need to keep a couple of birds. Not much more than a large rabbit hutch and run.

ZeeClone

Jan 14, 2009
Jonluw said:

lol! No - we got Nasdaq as a poulet before they start displaying sexual characteristics. We'd hoped he'd produce lovely white eggs as he's a fairly pure breed - then one morning he started crowing.

We face-palmed.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
ZeeClone said:
Jonluw said:

lol! No - we got Nasdaq as a poulet before they start displaying sexual characteristics. We'd hoped he'd produce lovely white eggs as he's a fairly pure breed - then one morning he started crowing.

We face-palmed.
Okay, I don't know what crowning is. I only know what it means in the context of giving birth...