Birthday money

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
So, it was my birthday on the 9th of march.

I didn't ask for any presents, only money. And now I don't know what to spend it on.
I am wanting a new laptop though. So if any one has any suggestions for a decent (but not expensive) laptop thats capable of running a minecraft server while playing, let me know.

Other wise, games. My friends telling me Mass Effect 3, but i've never played the first 2. So, what should i do?

Escapists! Go!

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah, I agree with Mortai. Laptops aren't wonderful gaming machines and you can get a pretty good rig for not too much change. (Though, I'm not sure what ME3's requirements are)

Chasing-The-Light

Jul 16, 2011
I'd say save for the computer, though I'm terrible with those sorts of things so I'd be a bad person to try and recommend one. If not that, then if I were you'd I'd save for a game that you want. Maybe not ME3 if you haven't played the other two, but something for you that you've been wanting.

It is your birthday money. Spend it on something to spoil yourself with.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I don't know, but I would suggest spending it on something because I keep saving money to buy something then I forget what is it I was going to buy and after more time I forget were was it I left the money, seriously I've lost more than 10,000 dollars this way *sigh* so much stuff that I should have done with that money, well no point on thinking about it I'm pretty sure it won't come back, so point is don't lose that money, just don't it's preferable to spend it on something useless than losing it or alternatively just give it away if you're not going to use it anyway what's the point of holding onto it.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
I've only turned 19, so, no house payments.
As for a desktop computer, we already have one, but my dad uses it. need a laptop for college you see, but also want minecraft.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
You should put it all into a high yield savings account and let it grow.

Nah I'm just kidding you should burn the whole stack on a custom build desktop computer.

Marxaeus

Mar 13, 2012
At the end of the day, I suggest just saving it up. Sure you could spend it now, and get something nice for yourself straight away. Or you could hold it off, save it up and focus not on what you want to buy with the money you have right now, but what you will be able to buy with the large sum of money you have saved up.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Andrew_Mac said:
So, it was my birthday on the 9th of march.

I didn't ask for any presents, only money. And now I don't know what to spend it on.
I am wanting a new laptop though. So if any one has any suggestions for a decent (but not expensive) laptop thats capable of running a minecraft server while playing, let me know.

Other wise, games. My friends telling me Mass Effect 3, but i've never played the first 2. So, what should i do?

Escapists! Go!
I'd imagine you could actually pick up both ME 1 and 2 (depending on how much money you got) for pretty cheap at this point. But then again if you're not interested in a 3rd person shooter whose story is as deep as any RPG out there, and easily deeper than MOST RPGs out there, then there'd be no point in getting it would there? :p

Either that, or it's always a good time to go out and get addicted to a controlled substance or two. :3

Belated Happy Birthday, by the way.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Is this going to be a LAN server? Because if so I'd just recommend a Dell Inspiron bog-standard model, it's about £300 and works fine for me. Anything with over 2Gb RAM should be fine for minecraft, but the more you pay, the smoother an experience you get.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I wouldn't buy Mass Effect 3, why get into a game with the 3rd installment? Sure it's a standalone game, but you're still missing out on 2 games of plot

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
Esotera said:
Is this going to be a LAN server? Because if so I'd just recommend a Dell Inspiron bog-standard model, it's about £300 and works fine for me. Anything with over 2Gb RAM should be fine for minecraft, but the more you pay, the smoother an experience you get.
The server is a tekkit server, requires about 2-3 Gb to run it and another 3 to run minecraft with it.
RJ 17 said:
Belated Happy Birthday, by the way.
Thanks!

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Andrew_Mac said:
I've only turned 19, so, no house payments.
As for a desktop computer, we already have one, but my dad uses it. need a laptop for college you see, but also want minecraft.
I'd say to go for the laptop, especially since other family members tend to use the desk top that you have. With the laptop you'll never have to worry about it being tied when you need to research or write a paper and it will be mobile so you can take all of your work with you away from your home (vacation, road trip or just to class).

The fact that you'll have total privacy and unrestricted internet access (provided your home has wifi) is just icing on the cake.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
if you've never played the first two Mass Effect games and, have no interest in the series than don't grab the third. If you are interested than grab the second since the third plays more like it or, the first if you're genuinely interested in the plot and, the ability to load ME1 saves into ME2 and 3. If you go for ME2 you get all of the plot info/spoilers/etc from the first anyway so you won't miss anything.

As for laptops I have no idea, just thought I'd give my opinion on Mass Effect.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I had this problem a month ago. I decided to go with a Vita.

Gonna get it soon unless I save up another $400 dollars for a PC.