Bizarre Creations Dies on Friday

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
The problem was that we made Blur; real cars in realistic cities with power ups. Who were we selling that game to?
To me, of course. I blame their marketing dept for not trying to sell the game to me personally. I'd have bought it. (Seriously, I love that concept and will probably pick the game up as soon as money allows.)

Too bad that it went down, but it seems to have done so gracefully. It's a good think that Activision is on the tightrope as to not repeat their Infinity Ward fiasco. Maybe a few more years and we'll be willing to give it the benefit of doubt, like EA.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Well based on the Blur demo, there was no way to rebind my controls on the PC so I didn't even think about getting the game.

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
What a shame. I still play Geometry Wars 2 (232 million in Evolved and 38 million in Waves), what an awesome game that is.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
I'm really worried. I mean... what if we get a monopoly? All these companies closing, it could happen.
EA, Valve, Activision, Microsoft, and Nintendo are entirely safe. You're fine.

Every time a studio shuts down, the more money can be given to the other companies, and thus the chances of another company dying decrease. This is just a really bad streak.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Mr.K. said:
It's really odd Blur did so badly because it was an awesome game, maybe they shouldn't have put it out there with NSF and Split Second out aswell.
And Geometry Wars was pure gold.

Too bad really, but I'm sure someone will buy them EA or Activision, sooner or later those will be the only names out there.
I think part of the problem with Blur was it was trying to blend two different things at the same moment that some really decent versions of those individual things were coming out for their respective platforms.

I can't speak for the X-Box releases, but the PS3 came out almost on top of several other realistic racers, plus Modnation Racers, the PS3's weird bastard racing cart love child of Mariokart and Little Big Planet. While Blur may have been a fun and interesting Arcade Racer, the PS3 market was already knowing what they wanted. The power up cutsey kart type racers wanted MNR. The more realistic race fans were holding out for GT5. There really was no middle ground fro Blur to capture. Their "suck it pinky" ad campaign while distinctive really didn't do much to solidify where the game was going to fall play wise either.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
Graarrrghhh!!

I've never played PGR, but it can't be that different than any other racing game...

Come on news people, what we really care about is Geometry Wars!!! :_(

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
lacktheknack said:
emeraldrafael said:
I'm really worried. I mean... what if we get a monopoly? All these companies closing, it could happen.

Every time a studio shuts down, the more money can be given to the other companies, and thus the chances of another company dying decrease. This is just a really bad streak.
Oh joy, the three most uninventive companies. How GRAND
/sarcasm.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
lacktheknack said:
emeraldrafael said:

/sarcasm.
EA's getting better.

And besides, no monopoly. That was the original point.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
This doesn't really help my opinion of Activision, despite the failings on Bizarre's half. This only makes me see even more that Activision just absorb companies, chew them up, and spit them back out. Seriously, with Red Octane, Infinity Ward, the Guitar Hero guys, and now Bizarre, it's a wonder how they still have studios to pry off of.

To paraphrase the guy who did standup for the recent Interactive Achievment Awards, "Activision, you're like James Cameron, you make record-breaking hit after record-breaking hit...and absolutely nobody wants to deal with you!"

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
That's a shame, I would have loved to play Geometry Wars 3!

Does this mean Microsoft gets all their future profit from XBLA?

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
Jumplion said:
This doesn't really help my opinion of Activision, despite the failings on Bizarre's half. This only makes me see even more that Activision just absorb companies, chew them up, and spit them back out. Seriously, with Red Octane, Infinity Ward, the Guitar Hero guys, and now Bizarre, it's a wonder how they still have studios to pry off of.

To paraphrase the guy who did standup for the recent Interactive Achievment Awards, "Activision, you're like James Cameron, you make record-breaking hit after record-breaking hit...and absolutely nobody wants to deal with you!"
you make it sound like there was no benefit for the developers at all
EVERY developer WANTS a big publisher...the bigger the better
and as in every business...the higher you climb the deeper you can fall
nobody stays on top forever

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
lacktheknack said:
emeraldrafael said:

I'd add Ubisoft to your list of "guaranteed survival" studios.

This is a bit sad that a studio closes but the saving grace in a thing like this (economic crunch= leisure-based businesses suffer) is that only the strongest will survive, whether by sheer money stockpile (EA/Activision/Ubisoft/most AAA studios) or a lot of talent, for the smaller devs.

PlaidHatter

Dec 6, 2010
IamQ said:
No matter how bad a studio is, they should never be forced to shut their doors...
No one's "forcing" anyone to shut down. The simple fact of the matter is that they're a toxic asset to Actiblizz.

A common misconception is that if someone makes a bad game, they don't make money. It's not just that they don't make money, they lose money. In other words, it was costing Activision money to own a company that makes crappy games.

Try to look at that as an investor rather than gamer; if you're Bobby Kotick (or whoever) and have final say over the matter, which of those looks like the better option for the fitness of your company?

CactusPants

I'm A PC Gamer
Feb 17, 2010
Damn shame, I actually quite enjoyed Bloodstone and Geometry Wars. Things like this make me remember how much the games business is about business and not just creativity.

Off-topic: Anyone else think that they got the stealth right in Bloodstone? I know the AI was easy to exploit, but the stealth just felt right.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Hopefully the Geometry Wars franchise won't die with them (and perhaps even get more titles out for PC, please?)

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
lacktheknack said:
emeraldrafael said:

/sarcasm.
Hell yeah, you will be stuck with the same franchises for the next 1000 years, and Valve will still be thinking about releasing Episode 3. Thank God we got indie developers that come and go but bring some fresh air into the gaming universe.