Black Butler Third Season Starting Production

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Black Butler Third Season Starting Production

The new Black Butler anime has been greenlit, and it could continue adapting parts of the original manga.

A new Black Butler anime series has been greenlit, according to the cover of the February issue of Square Enix's Monthly GFantasy. The cover depicts Black Butler character Sebastian Michaelis.

Details about the new series have not been released. A Twitter user published a picture of the cover, offering an early look at the announcement scheduled for Jan. 18. Meanwhile, a live action film adaptation of Yana Toboso's manga Black Butler will open Jan. 18, and the 18th volume of the manga will ship in Japan.

The supernatural fantasy series takes place in Victorian era London where a young earl named Ciel solves crimes with the highly skilled butler who is actually a demon named Sebastian. Ciel is on the hunt for the people who killed his parents and set the manor on fire. He offers his soul to Sebastian who in turn promises to help him achieve revenge.

The manga began serialization in Monthly GFantasy magazine in 2006, and the first anime series aired in 2008 with a second series airing in 2010 with new characters, Alois Trancy and Claude Faustus, designed by Toboso. The manga far outreaches what the anime has covered, so there's plenty of original material for the anime to adapt.

Source: Anime News Network [https://twitter.com/IEEE80211/status/423811064443047936]

bdeamon

Mar 20, 2013
if belazabulb and darker than black make more seasons, i may finally die happy (im a vampire)

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Oh goddamnit do I have to boycott the DeviantArt front page again for several months again?

(Seriously, Pony and That Anime/Manga have utterly overtaken the highlights at several points)

But hell I still LIKE Black Butler, I'm glad they're doing the same thing as FMA. Making an alternate universe ending to keep production costs on the level and creating from scratch for the new and hopefully complete series.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I really enjoyed Black Butler (less so the second season, although I loved how it ended in the way all the fan girls wanted but in the worst possible way) so I'm actually quite excited about this. It helps that the two main voice actors for the English dub are Moxxi and Sir Hammerlock from BL2. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Now, where's my second season of 07-Ghost?

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
You know there are hundreds of animes out there, many of which are new seasons of existing animes. Why is it that just this one gets an article on here? Seems odd, are the producers paying the Escapist?

Not only are there so many other animes being overlooked, most of them are better than this trash too.

PS: Tizzy changed his avatar! *Shocked*

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
AldUK said:
You know there are hundreds of animes out there, many of which are new seasons of existing animes. Why is it that just this one gets an article on here? Seems odd, are the producers paying the Escapist?

Not only are there so many other animes being overlooked, most of them are better than this trash too.

PS: Tizzy changed his avatar! *Shocked*
It's been three years since Black Butler's last season. It's just one of the more popular anime that took a lot of people by storm in the US.

Also it's not a traditional 3rd season, but a reboot of the 2nd season. Like a FMA:B lite, if I'm reading this right.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Voulan said:
(less so the second season, although I loved how it ended in the way all the fan girls wanted but in the worst possible way)
Why is it the worst possible way? (°_°;)
Ciel and Sebastian stay together forever. (●♡∀♡)

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Sry for DOUBLE POST
But I blame that message about new comment rules because I sure didn't click twice on "Post".

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
Boy oh boy, if they go back to the manga plot I will LOVE THIS (if you liked the first season but haven't read the manga, please do so immediately)

If it's like the second season of the anime - ecchi, uncomfortable scenes of abuse, not really about Sebastian any more, very little of any of the Shinigamis in it - then I will cry more than I have done for the horrific film they're making

How could the musical get the characters so right and the film get them so wrong? u_u

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
hazydawn said:
Voulan said:
(less so the second season, although I loved how it ended in the way all the fan girls wanted but in the worst possible way)
Why is it the worst possible way? (°_°;)
Ciel and Sebastian stay together forever. (●♡∀♡)
Well, using spoilers:

They are now together forever, yes, but Sebastian is extremely unhappy and depressed about it, since he'll now never get Ciel's soul. Just like now Ciel is stuck forever as a young boy. Sebastian may have admired him and appeared to have his best interests at heart (to the point of slightly uncomfortable yaoi), but he only ever wanted Ciel's soul. Remember he once said that he actually hates being a butler and being in any subservient role (which is why he hates dogs, because they apparently are willing to be that way), and he's now stuck like that. You can tell at the end of the season how depressed he was because all of his extravagance and wit was completely gone - he's nothing more than an eternal servant, the very thing he hates most.

So an ending everyone wanted in the most depressing and sad way possible, which I though was absolute genius. But it doesn't matter now, because reboot.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Voulan said:
*cough* Ciel staying a young boy and Sebastian a butler is, from the fangirl perspective, not that bad :3
I don't remember it that well, but I think there was only very little time where they where shown after Ciel became a demon. The thing that almost destroyed my happy ending was when he tried to kill him. You're right, if you analyze it there's more proof to your version but you know the fangirl mind can find even for that some explanation to maintain the yaoi and happy ending >.<

It's gonna be a reboot of the second season? :3
Doesn't sound bad. It's not like I disliked the second one but it was definetely weaker than the first.