"Black Lifestyle" in Japan

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
Well, I don't want to speculate on your situation with another person because it's none of my business. I'm just saying, take all comments which could possibly be interpreted as a compliment toward yourself (or your in-group) with a grain of salt. I've known a lot of foreigners who date Japanese people who strut about on top of the world because of the sweet nothings their partner has whispered in their ear, and then later wind up crying into their beers (or spending years in unhappy marriages) because it turns out those things weren't true.

Which is not to say that all Japanese people are dishonest. There's just a little more tolerance here for fawning flattery as a tool for ensuring smooth social relationships, and when cross-cultural communication is involved with one person who isn't a native speaker, both parties have a tendency in my experience to not be very good at spotting when the other is being less than honest. And it's also not to say that all cross-cultural relationships with Japanese people are doomed to failure. I've known plenty of people with successful relationships with Japanese partners. But those relationships tend to have participants who aren't into the other just because of their race, they were drawn together by some other source of attraction.

I don't want to sound like I'm calling out a friend I've never met of a person I've never met on the Internet for being dishonest. I'm just saying things may be more complicated than the picture you're getting, and even if the woman you know of is expressing her sincere opinion, she may not represent the majority of Japanese women who are into white men. In my many years living here and with my connections to Japanese communities living in the US, I've encountered an awful lot of Japanese people (male and female) who just want to date someone with real blond hair. Or have a baby with blond hair.
Granted that cross-cultural interactions can give a slightly wrong impression. She is very well traveled and is 1/4 Swedish herself.
Well, she represents the ones she has talked with (to whichever degree she can) and it's not the first, or last time I have heard what she said.
And yes I am aware dating is not limited to what has been said, it's just a question of bias.

Captcha: save face, I am getting scared...

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Japan is... insensitive when it comes to black people. In Panty and Stocking, for example, every black person has ridiculously huge lips and has an accent thicker than a fat girl's Nutella. What accent? Uh... "Black" accent.

I suppose it's oddly charming to see everyone's favourite crackpot nation full of bipolar, uptight businessmen and women who also enjoy cartoons and buying live fish from vending machines, be a tiny bit more accepting even if it's backfiring horribly.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
dylanmc12 said:
Japan is... insensitive when it comes to black people. In Panty and Stocking, for example, every black person has ridiculously huge lips and has an accent thicker than a fat girl's Nutella. What accent? Uh... "Black" accent.

I suppose it's oddly charming to see everyone's favourite crackpot nation full of bipolar, uptight businessmen and women who also enjoy cartoons and buying live fish from vending machines, be a tiny bit more accepting even if it's backfiring horribly.
Just out of curiosity, are you speaking of the original Japanese voice acting or a dubbed version. Because if it's the dub... well that's not Japan, that's the American translation studio. I've never seen the show, so I'm not sure.

RobAlister

Jun 3, 2011
I disagree with people saying that this is positive. I'm not saying it's offensive (well, some of it is) but it doesn't show any real signs of acceptance. Usually when a group of people outside of the U.S. adopt the hip hop subculture they have a sort of social and/or emotional connection to it. But the japanese are just doing it as a fad. That doesn't really say that they care or understand anything about blacks or even hip hop itself. If I dress up like a samurai and go around say "hyah, hyah, hyah!" does that mean I know or care anything about japanese culture or samurais? Nope.

But let me make one thing clear, I am not saying that they're supposed to have some deeper connection to it. I'm speaking directly to people who see this and think that this is some sort of step up within black-japanese relations. It's not.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
>_>

Huh. Japan's views on foreign non-white people could us... "improvement." Even other "Asian" people are not held in very high regard, particularly if your Korean (although, if your Japanese, your not going to be treated the friendliest in South or North (if your actually crazy enough to go there at all) Korea).

I am honestly not sure if this is an improvement or not. At least they idolizing black people, even if is a small subset that spout the N-word for a living.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
Wraith said:
Black guy here. Can't say I give much of a fuck, really.
I agree with this statement, because I'm a black guy as well.

I for one don't even like hip hop/rap or anything that is identified as "black culture". Drop me in japan for a year and they'll be in for a rude awakening at what they believe black people are like.

I've met a few Japanese people over the years, and I've never received any nonsense reception like what I've seen in this video.

I probably have more in common with Japanese people than I do with African American people. People call me weird all the time, so take that japan!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
while it does seem like the step in the right direction for Japan....

... I may come off as xenophobic and if so, then thats that, but i dont think we really need to celebrate any "lifestyles" or "cultures". we should just let people live the way they want to live and judge them not just because they like different things or have different opinions. these kind of events just sound like you end up having the negative racism all over again (when people experiencing racism is themselves being racist to their "opressors").

Or, maybe im just stupid.