Black Mesa Cascades Into Steam Early Access

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Black Mesa Cascades Into Steam Early Access

Black Mesa, the long-awaited Half-Life remake, is finally on Steam Early Access with classic Deathmatch maps.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140665-Black-Mesa-Mod-Has-Mysterious-Countdown>Remember that mysterious countdown on the <a href=www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/black%20mesa?os=black+mesa>Black Mesa website? Well it's finally ended and as suspected, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129804-Black-Mesa-Mod-Goes-Retail-For-Steam>it was all about the Half-Life remake's new Steam launch. More specifically, it's an Early Access release while we wait for the Xen chapters - but the return of classic Half-Life Deathmatch should smooth that detail over.

For those who haven't been following Black Mesa, it began life as a mod project to bring Half-Life to the updated Source engine. Its creators <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129804-Black-Mesa-Mod-Goes-Retail-For-Steam>first released the mod in 2012, which quickly gained Valve's attention and eventual permission for a full release. The team has since been hard at work porting Black Mesas to a new engine and updating the experience of the original mod.

[gallery=4121]

Black Mesa currently includes 85% of Half-Life's single-player campaign, revised and updated for a smoother gameplay experience. It also features remakes of classic multiplayer maps - Bounce, Gasworks, Lambdabunker, Stalkyard, Subtransit and Undertow. Presumably the team will now turns its attention to the still-absent Xen levels, but considering many players never enjoyed them to begin with? This should prove a popular launch for Half-Life players of all stripes.

Source: PC Gamer

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
So far it seems like the exact same thing as the free version but with multiplayer, just now giving you an option to pay the devs via Steam (rahter than through direct donations). Of course now they're almost certainly going to only update the version on Steam now. Can't say I like this move, but they did say that they were hoping to release it for pay on Steam and were getting approval from Valve - although they also said they would update the free version too if that happened, guess we'll have to wait on that.

MrPeanut

Jun 18, 2011
ShakerSilver said:
So far it seems like the exact same thing as the free version but with multiplayer, just now giving you an option to pay the devs via Steam (rahter than through direct donations). Of course now they're almost certainly going to only update the version on Steam now. Can't say I like this move, but they did say that they were hoping to release it for pay on Steam and were getting approval from Valve - although they also said they would update the free version too if that happened, guess we'll have to wait on that.
Though I'd say Black Mesa devs definitely deserve to get paid for their effort.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
ShakerSilver said:
Scrap that "almost certain" - a dev straight up said that they're not going to bother with the free 2012 release anymore.
Some people say that means there will be a complete new free release instead of "just" an update, but it doesn't sound even remotely like that.
So, basically, you're supposed to pay now 20$ for patches or you stick with a broken, incomplete version.

MrPeanut said:
They apparently only put effort into learning how to become greedy and falling back onto their words in the past two years. And that certainly doesn't deserve any payment.

MrPeanut

Jun 18, 2011
Bindal said:
ShakerSilver said:
Scrap that "almost certain" - a dev straight up said that they're not going to bother with the free 2012 release anymore.
Some people say that means there will be a complete new free release instead of "just" an update, but it doesn't sound even remotely like that.
So, basically, you're supposed to pay now 20$ for patches or you stick with a broken, incomplete version.

MrPeanut said:
They apparently only put effort into learning how to become greedy and falling back onto their words in the past two years. And that certainly doesn't deserve any payment.
Why should you get it for free?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
MrPeanut said:
Because they announced it up to a few hours ago that the free version would get the same support as the paid version?
I don't mind if there is a paid version that looks prettier and may even have the exclusive Multiplayer (because both I don't care about) but what I do care about is being lied to about 'ongoing support' which apparently never was going to happen.

ganelson

Apr 8, 2011
Bindal said:
MrPeanut said:
Because they announced it up to a few hours ago that the free version would get the same support as the paid version?
I don't mind if there is a paid version that looks prettier and may even have the exclusive Multiplayer (because both I don't care about) but what I do care about is being lied to about 'ongoing support' which apparently never was going to happen.
Well, you should demand a refund, then.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Bindal said:
MrPeanut said:
An emotional response that has no bearing in the reality of Black Mesa's creation and release. Whether they lied or not, does not detract from the fact that they have put years of their lives into a mod/remake, for free. For those that still want to play the first half, as a huge demo of sorts, they still have the download up for free.

But in no way can they be condemned for seeking compensation for full access to their project - a project both endorsed by Valve, and one that has cost them a rather large portion of their lives to create. If you are truly offended towards an alleged lie, then you are free not to give them any of your money. Just do not feel justified in smearing their names for doing something perfectly rational and reasonable.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I see the drama is in full swing already.
I really won't blame them, they were making this thing for god knows how many years so they completely deserve it, but someone better make sure everyone on the team gets the proper cut.
And the free version is still out there if that is what you want.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
You know.... BLack Mesa devs... we need to have some words. I get that this game is a big thing for you and I'm happy.. but seriously? Early Access? After how many years? YOU release the same thing in Early Access?

That... smacks of laziness. Rather than say, smend the time working on chuffing Xen and release a full reimagining for the steam Store... you do this? Really? Years later and this is what we get? For chuffs sakes you should be releasing Half Lif completly and Opposing Force or at the very least Blueshift.

And since this is Early Access I assume that it's gonna be at least a year before you get into full release so really.. this is unacceptable. I love your work but how many chuffin people were interested in your HL1 remake because of the chuffin multiplayer.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
ShakerSilver said:
From the Steam store page:
Heavily updated single player experience - The Black Mesa single player experience has greatly improved from the mod release; new visuals, new voice over, updated gameplay encounters, stability changes and more. Xen is not part of the Steam release of Black Mesa, but will included as a free update when it is ready.
As for Bindal's attitude: The Black Mesa development team doesn't owe you anything for free. Why does ongoing support for the 2012 version bother you so much? Did you invest much time or money in it? I can understand feeling left out or 'lied to' when a newer version of a game you've paid for comes around, but Black Mesa 2012 didn't cost a dime.
I've seen a lot of people complain that they've "waited all this time, only for it to be paid". Well gee, congrats on sitting on your ass for the last 10 years while these guys worked their asses off instead.

Concerning Xen: It's coming, but they want to make sure it's up to par with the rest of the top notch quality. The money gained from Early Access is supposed to go towards that.

EDIT:
MonsterCrit said:
You know.... BLack Mesa devs... we need to have some words. I get that this game is a big thing for you and I'm happy.. but seriously? Early Access? After how many years? YOU release the same thing in Early Access?

That... smacks of laziness. Rather than say, smend the time working on chuffing Xen and release a full reimagining for the steam Store... you do this? Really? Years later and this is what we get? For chuffs sakes you should be releasing Half Lif completly and Opposing Force or at the very least Blueshift.

And since this is Early Access I assume that it's gonna be at least a year before you get into full release so really.. this is unacceptable. I love your work but how many chuffin people were interested in your HL1 remake because of the chuffin multiplayer.
Well, they're releasing it to Early Access so that they can finish Xen. The funds can hopefully speed up some of the development, instead of waiting another 5 years for Xen. Also, starting work on Op4/Blueshift would be a waste of time as there's already another mod team working on that: http://tripminestudios.com

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
Y'know, I really liked the first Half-Life. Hell, I won't lie, I'll definitely be buying this.
After full release
After it goes on sale for at least 50%
After I'm bored of everything else that I'm currently playing
After I forget I have it on my wishlist
After some other thing.

But I definitely plan on getting it....eventually.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
MonsterCrit said:

It's in early access because they still haven't finished the Xen levels yet. I bet you people would be pretty damn pissed if they were releasing a full game with the last quarter of it slashed out to be added at a later time.

There are a few gripes I have with Black Mesa (Shitty music that doesn't fit at all, and a weak submachine gun), but going into early access isn't one of them.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Soviet Heavy said:
MonsterCrit said:

It's in early access because they still haven't finished the Xen levels yet. I bet you people would be pretty damn pissed if they were releasing a full game with the last quarter of it slashed out to be added at a later time.

There are a few gripes I have with Black Mesa (Shitty music that doesn't fit at all, and a weak submachine gun), but going into early access isn't one of them.
MY point is that It's been like 2 years since I played Black Mesa. 2 years and I was fairly late to the party. 2 years later and they still haven't finished Xen... which you'd think would actually be easy since the Xen areas were more well, abstract, there wasn't much in the way inter connectivity that needed Outside the factory.

But instead of Xen they give us... Multiplayer maps?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Can someone explain to me how/why Valve is letting these guys re-make their game and charge for a remake of Deathmatch on Early Access?

I don't understand it at all, seems like this would fall under copyright infringement since they're selling it.

Omeene

Oct 14, 2009
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Can someone explain to me how/why Valve is letting these guys re-make their game and charge for a remake of Deathmatch on Early Access?

I don't understand it at all, seems like this would fall under copyright infringement since they're selling it.
Because Valve approved the mod and has been supportive of the remake (Since they aren't interested in remaking it). By selling it on Steam, Valve also gets money from it.

It isn't copyright infringement because Valve gave them approval. Copyright infringement is using a copyright without approval of the Holder of said Copyright.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

No doubt Value is getting most of the money and they are getting just a small cut. Hell, Value should be paying THEM for remaking one of their most popular games so well with no time and effort on Value's part.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
NLS said:
As for Bindal's attitude: The Black Mesa development team doesn't owe you anything for free. Why does ongoing support for the 2012 version bother you so much? Did you invest much time or money in it? I can understand feeling left out or 'lied to' when a newer version of a game you've paid for comes around, but Black Mesa 2012 didn't cost a dime.
I've seen a lot of people complain that they've "waited all this time, only for it to be paid". Well gee, congrats on sitting on your ass for the last 10 years while these guys worked their asses off instead.
Well, then, how about straight from the devs themselves when they originally announced the paid version?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/black-mesa/news/happy-birthday-half-life
Or, if you don't want to read the entire newspost yourself, here is the straight quote:
Soon you'll see Black Mesa available on Steam for a relatively low price. But we aren't dropping all support for the free version. In fact shortly after the Steam release there will be a completely new free version of the game. We also plan to open source our maps and some game assets to the modding community!
And today they came out, basically saying "Sorry, folks, we decided to be greedy and don't support the free version."
So, yeah, after this, they can go eff themselves, I am not paying a single cent for this bull.

Smooth Operator said:
I see the drama is in full swing already.
I really won't blame them, they were making this thing for god knows how many years so they completely deserve it, but someone better make sure everyone on the team gets the proper cut.
And the free version is still out there if that is what you want.
Except the free version is now heavily outdated, still broken and won't get any updates anymore.