Black Myth: Wukong gameplay; I don't get the hype?

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Then why are we bringing it up in regards to Black Myth: Wukong? I can hazard a guess, but seeing as you brought up "conniving pandering" compared to "authenticity and integrity" in this Black Myth: Wukong thread I'd like to hear it from you.

And it's just as laced in bigotry and racism.
I dunno I didn't bring it up, ask those who did? I was responding to someone in that post you quoted. Look at the posts above it.

Oh and btw, the context was talking about BG3 not just Wukong, and BG3 was described as not pandering, despite having a bunch of gay people in it too, so yeah I think you're coming off at the wrong foot here. (and the original Journey to the west has a part with pregnant men, just so you know, XD)

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
All they're doing is taking a standard regular term/abbreviation and trying to use it as an insult or pejorative. Again.
Isn't that how most insults come to be though? Like a hoe is a gardening tool, originally.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Isn't that how most insults come to be though? Like a hoe is a gardening tool, originally.
Sometimes yes, and sometimes no.

Ho was always meant as an insult, aside from the garden tool, when it was used as slang starting in the 1960s.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I dunno I didn't bring it up, ask those who did? I was responding to someone in that post you quoted. Look at the posts above it.

Oh and btw, the context was talking about BG3 not just Wukong, and BG3 was described as not pandering, despite having a bunch of gay people in it too, so yeah I think you're coming off at the wrong foot here. (and the original Journey to the west has a part with pregnant men, just so you know, XD)
You brought up the conniving pandering. And yes, I watched the video which also talks about woke pandering compared to wokeness that isn't pandering, and also fails to give examples of this woke pandering, only mentioning that Baldur's Gate 3 doesn't do this. But then the video also talks about how Western game studios need to look to China, because Black Myth: Wukong, eventhough most of China's gaming industry is just as laden with mobile catcha crap as the Western industry is with microtransactions. The whole bloody thing comes across as the usual 'China knows what good pure entertainment is, not like those Western games and movies' that the typical crowd who get pissed at seeing [see below] always spout.

Aloy having a face was woke.
Ellie being gay was woke.
Abby having muscles was woke.
M.J. in Spider-Man 2 having face was woke.
Black people in historical settings is woke.

So what exactly was some of this woke/conniving pandering as opposed to Baldur's Gate 3 apparently not being that?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
You brought up the conniving pandering. And yes, I watched the video which also talks about woke pandering compared to wokeness that isn't pandering, and also fails to give examples of this woke pandering, only mentioning that Baldur's Gate 3 doesn't do this. But then the video also talks about how Western game studios need to look to China, because Black Myth: Wukong, eventhough most of China's gaming industry is just as laden with mobile catcha crap as the Western industry is with microtransactions. The whole bloody thing comes across as the usual 'China knows what good pure entertainment is, not like those Western games and movies' that the typical crowd who get pissed at seeing [see below] always spout.

So what exactly was some of this woke/conniving pandering as opposed to Baldur's Gate 3 apparently not being that?
I just put the tag on it, I didn't bring it up, I just clarified what it was that they were already discussing. I coined the phrase more so than came up with the idea, the idea was there already and everyone intuitively understood it.

Chinese gaming development is beyond garbage, which is why Wukong is such a surprise. Like the gacha phone stuff is not even the worst examples, there's tons of derivative carbon copies with a chinese paint job that just ape successful franchises. I think the video is less "china is the paradise of game development" and more "this one chinese studio got it right, and this is what they did, lets learn from that".

And I gave you the example of that in my earlier post, the part about duke nukem. I don't really think in terms of woke or non-woke, that's something you introduced in the conversation, so I can't give you a more targeted example in that metric. I just think of terms of good or bad game. Of a game being used as a means to an end, versus a game being an end in and of itself. It doesn't matter what content the game that is an end in and of itself has. But if you make a game as a tool of causing society to progress into a better future or whatever, instead of making a game that is the best you can make it at being itself (however gay or notgay or boobed up that self is) then that game is the problem we're discussing here.

At the end of the day I think you're shadowboxing with an imagined person more than directly tackling what's actually being discussed here, because you perceive similar vibes and you just kinda cease your analysis there.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Exactly why I was calling out Destin's statement and video. He actually took his argument and shot it in the foot. After saying the Twitter is not reality statement only to go in and say how BG 3 avoids pandering, even though it panders to plenty and is super inclusive. He never elaborates on this. As far as i'm concerned, he's just another pundit with a "professional look". I had similar problems with him before in the past, so I really don't trust him.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
And I gave you the example of that in my earlier post, the part about duke nukem. I don't really think in terms of woke or non-woke, that's something you introduced in the conversation, so I can't give you a more targeted example in that metric.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to put a question mark behind any 'I don't think in terms of...' statement. Also, I didn't introduce it to this conversation, the video did, and you responded to it.

I just think of terms of good or bad game. Of a game being used as a means to an end, versus a game being an end in and of itself. It doesn't matter what content the game that is an end in and of itself has. But if you make a game as a tool of causing society to progress into a better future or whatever, instead of making a game that is the best you can make it at being itself (however gay or notgay or boobed up that self is) then that game is the problem we're discussing here.
And I was asking for examples of these kinds of games. And don't give me Duke Nukem Forever, nobody talks about that game being anything.

At the end of the day I think you're shadowboxing with an imagined person more than directly tackling what's actually being discussed here, because you perceive similar vibes and you just kinda cease your analysis there.
Oh, I admit I didn't need to come in here with boxing gloves on, but it wasn't because of shadows. At least, not my own.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Yeah, I'm gonna have to put a question mark behind any 'I don't think in terms of...' statement. Also, I didn't introduce it to this conversation, the video did, and you responded to it.

And I was asking for examples of these kinds of games. And don't give me Duke Nukem Forever, nobody talks about that game being anything.

Oh, I admit I didn't need to come in here with boxing gloves on, but it wasn't because of shadows.
I chose duke nukem because that's a game that does this thing I describe but it doesn't do it in a politically correct or palatable way, so as to illustrate that it's not about a game just having gay people in it, which was your initial contention. And yeah obviously nobody talks about that game being anything. Cause it just used something it thought people are fond of as a way of masking its failings. And I contrasted that with Senran Kagura which is aplomb in celebration of its plump hometown. In that game, the content is there cause it's supposed to be. It's not a wallpaper, it's the walls.

The above illustrates which sort of approach I deem valuable when it comes to adding content in games, I don't have anything else to add.

(and you don't shadowbox with gloves on, the gloves are for when you're gonna be hitting something)

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Oh don't get me started about Call of Duty, that series is confirmed to have CIA ties and at least in the past had been used to recruit for the military. This is MGS4 tier evil shit lol. I'll let you know I've never bought a game from that series in my entire life, in fact.

Care to elaborate on what exactly MGS4 did in that regard?

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Care to elaborate on what exactly MGS4 did in that regard?
In MGS4 there's a bit about getting kids used to war with videogames to get them to become soldiers, it's one of the very first things in the intro and it's a plot by the Patriots to generate more profit through conflict. Like it's one of those absurd fantasy evil things that fits in MGS but it actually sorta happened in reality too which is crazy to think about.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
In MGS4 there's a bit about getting kids used to war with videogames to get them to become soldiers, it's one of the very first things in the intro and it's a plot by the Patriots to generate more profit through conflict. Like it's one of those absurd fantasy evil things that fits in MGS but it actually sorta happened in reality too which is crazy to think about.
Yeah but, it was purely intended as cautionary commentary in Kojima’s mind AFAIK (and not the first time he’s been ahead of the curve). Nothing that spilled over into the real world of CIA ties or military recruitment and what have you.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Yeah but, it was purely intended as cautionary commentary in Kojima’s mind AFAIK (and not the first time he’s been ahead of the curve). Nothing that spilled over into the real world of CIA ties or military recruitment and what have you.
Yeah of course. I'm just always reminded of that warning being cogent enough to be true, when at the time it felt like an exaggerated impossibility. I wasn't saying that MGS4 was itself compromised or anything. If anything it's the main opponent of such schemes.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Ahem.

America's Army was a series of first-person shooter video games developed and published by the U.S. Army, intended to inform, educate, and recruit prospective soldiers.
Kojima is a guy who is interested in a lot of subjects and clearly does quite a bit of reading and a whole lot of thinking on those subjects. And much of the time a lot of it isn't all that clever and some of it downright wrong. I'm currently playing MGS1 again, a good game, make no mistake, but there's a lot statements on anthropology and genetics in there that are just straight up incorrect and poorly researched.

That said, what Kojima does have a pretty solid grasp on is the impact of media on people and society, quite possibly because, hey, that's the field he's been working in for most of his life. While the worldbuilding in MGS4 is mostly very broad satire on the War of Terror, that part was barely exaggerated.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
(and you don't shadowbox with gloves on, the gloves are for when you're gonna be hitting something)
Well, you can and I'm sure some do to just make the experience consistent since the gloves add weight to your hands. Not a lot obviously, but you know anything you can do at the heavier weight you can do with the lesser weight.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Ahem.

Kojima is a guy who is interested in a lot of subjects and clearly does quite a bit of reading and a whole lot of thinking on those subjects. And much of the time a lot of it isn't all that clever and some of it downright wrong. I'm currently playing MGS1 again, a good game, make no mistake, but there's a lot statements on anthropology and genetics in there that are just straight up incorrect and poorly researched.

That said, what Kojima does have a pretty solid grasp on is the impact of media on people and society, quite possibly because, hey, that's the field he's been working in for most of his life. While the worldbuilding in MGS4 is mostly very broad satire on the War of Terror, that part was barely exaggerated.
This tangent regarding military shooters got a bit derailed I think, and I could’ve articulated my original point a bit better. It had sounded to me like Dreiko was alluding to MGS4 being influential in stuff like America’s Army, CIA ties, recruitment, etc. when really it was a very isolated, albeit extravagant warning about such things.

These two scenes in particular-

About the 25 minute mark she gets into it.

Last edited:
Reactions: NerfedFalcon