Black Ops Breaks Sales Records

Ubervelt

Aug 22, 2010
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/11/call-of-duty-black-ops-day-one-sales/

Honestly, from all that I have heard about the game, I did not expect more people to buy it than MW2. I mean how many people complained about MW2, and how Russ Pitts reviewed the single player saying how poor it is, now MORE people have bought Black Ops?? I guess people must seriously like dedicated servers.

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
I'm not surprised at all. I think they did a wonderful job with advertisements for Black Ops which leads to larger numbers from the general gaming public. That's day one sales as well meaning that the reviews hadn't been out for more than a couple hours in places.

And I usually am a fan of Russ Pitts' work on this site, but the single player review seemed to be done to appease the very vocal anti-CoD community on this site.

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
http://www.google.com/trends?q=call+of+duty+black+ops%2C+minecraft

:D
Anyway, it sold so much because of the MP community, and as Russ Pitts said, because all previous COD players friends will be getting it; so they can shoot stuff in a new background.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
I said it in another thread and I'll say it again:

Call of Duty is the new Madden. Gamers don't really give a toss about it, but your typical 'Bro Gamer' goes Ga-Ga for the series.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
The game is far better than MW2 and deserves the sales.

More balanced, more fair, less frustrating and just all-round more fun.

As for Russ Pitts's SP review, I could not disagree more and it felt like it was written just to appease the anti-COD majority on the site.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Warrior Irme said:
And I usually am a fan of Russ Pitts' work on this site, but the single player review seemed to be done to appease the very vocal anti-CoD community on this site.
I dont think it was supposedly targeted at anyone. I think he just didnt like it. Having heard all those bad things about it might have affected him though.

Im not suprised it sold that well. After all its fan service aimed for fans.

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
This is why we can't have good games.
Call of Duty series are getting worse, but the sales are getting better, this makes no sense at all!!!
Don't look at me like that, I didn't buy it! My friend did, I just "rented" it from him.

Warrior Irme said:
I'm not surprised at all. I think they did a wonderful job with advertisements for Black Ops which leads to larger numbers from the general gaming public. That's day one sales as well meaning that the reviews hadn't been out for more than a couple hours in places.

It is quite true, I played it, and completely agree with that review, straight to the point. I would normally say that tastes differ, but I won't, because this game got nothing, its just a reshuffle of what was done before, previous COD games had it better.

tomhaigh7

Mar 23, 2010
I think Black Ops looks really good on youtube trailers and gameplay releases at conferences !
Hwvr im sad and stupid and have a Ps2 and cant afford an xbox , best game i have is gta san adreas and anything remotley similar for me is medal of honour frontline!

Could anyone please tell me how much roughly is an xbox these days and wat are the best deals?

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
Ubervelt said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/11/call-of-duty-black-ops-day-one-sales/

Honestly, from all that I have heard about the game, I did not expect more people to buy it than MW2. I mean how many people complained about MW2, and how Russ Pitts reviewed the single player saying how poor it is, now MORE people have bought Black Ops?? I guess people must seriously like dedicated servers.
Unfortunately not dedicated for the console :(

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
My only experience with it is from splitscreen online multiplayer at a friends house.

I don't remember doing that in MW2.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
It's just much better than it's predecessor. At least it deserves to have sold more than the previous record holder, unlike the previous record holder itself.

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
Bad Cluster said:
It is quite true, I played it, and completely agree with that review, straight to the point. I would normally say that tastes differ, but I won't, because this game got nothing, its just a reshuffle of what was done before, previous COD games had it better.
And you are one of the many vocal CoD haters on this site. I'm not saying for certain that the review was made to keep people on this site from getting up in arms, I'm just saying it's a possibility that they trash a the game that a majority of their readers hate to keep them visiting the site.

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
Warrior Irme said:
Bad Cluster said:
And you are one of the many vocal CoD haters on this site. I'm not saying for certain that the review was made to keep people on this site from getting up in arms, I'm just saying it's a possibility that they trash a the game that a majority of their readers hate to keep them visiting the site.
Read the bold text again. To add, I actually liked COD:MW and MW2, up until Battle Field: Bad Company 2 was released.
Still think I'm a hater? Heh, I guess you would know better.
Oh and I visit this site for Zero Punctuation, Unskippable and such, this topic just happened to pop out in latest posts right after I played the game and saw the review.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008

This is so shocking, how could ANYONE have guessed that the sequel to the top-selling game of all time would sell as well if not better?!

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
The game is far better than MW2 and deserves the sales.

More balanced, more fair, less frustrating and just all-round more fun.

As for Russ Pitts's SP review, I could not disagree more and it felt like it was written just to appease the anti-COD majority on the site.
Agreed on so many different levels. If I'm completely honest though I never seem to really agree with the reviews on the escapist anyways :/

Either-way though the game is simply amazing, the only thing thats particularly annoying is the chopper gunner

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
"But it's the guys who made the Nazi Zombies! It has to be good!" I actually heard someone say that. Valid point it may be, but.. you know what. No. Fine. Whatever. We made shitttons of money off it and I could care less at this point.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Played the single player: it was one of the better ones for CoD. Not as awesome as the first or MW, but quite good.
Multiplayer, with the limited time and interest I had in it, seems most or less the same as the other CoD. Which means, my views are approximately summed up by:
AcacianLeaves said:
I said it in another thread and I'll say it again:
Call of Duty is the new Madden. Gamers don't really give a toss about it, but your typical 'Bro Gamer' goes Ga-Ga for the series.
This. The changes from one CoD to another seems minimal, with each "new game" feeling like a small expansion pack.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
It's basically established. CoD has brainless zombies, for the most part.
Oh, come on. Anyone I've met and played with in the last 4 days has been easy going and just there for some fun. I have yet to run into one asshole or 'brainless asshole' in Black Ops lobbies.

It's a teeny tiny minority of very vocal squeaky screamers who give it this reputation.

Straying Bullet said:
Those who bitched on MW2 and started some boycot are already playing BO, so much for walking your talk.
The boycott was over MW2 not having dedicated servers, which Black Ops has.