Black Widow's Origin Explored in Agent Carter

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Black Widow's Origin Explored in Agent Carter

Agent Carter reaches a high point in "The Iron Curtain," with great action, character building, and by delivering on the series' initial conceptual promise.

Read Full Article

Rangerboy87

Jul 1, 2011
It's funny you mentioned girls and mothers watching, cause my wife has been too. We rarely watch the same things. She has no interests in my shows (Agents, Mythbusters, sports, internet shows), but she actually wanted to watch the first episode with me and has been hooked ever since. Nice to see she's not the only one.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
"Unbreakable"? Yep, you can't break a One Time Pad, even if you know it was in Russian...

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
ritchards said:
"Unbreakable"? Yep, you can't break a One Time Pad, even if you know it was in Russian...
Yeah, that bugged me too. For a moment, I was hoping that Peggy was actually bluffing.

For those who don't know, a one-time pad is a code that is literally unbreakable if you don't have the key. The drawback is that the key has to be as long as the message, and can only be used once (hence the name).

vid87

May 17, 2010
Stating a wild theory assuming Bob's proposed upcoming plot threads are true:

Obsessive Sapphic bond + Unstable Evil Patriot + Show's Surprise Character Reveals = Assassin performs heroic sacrifice to save target.

chetoos

Jul 13, 2009
I love the reviews you give here, and your commentary is amazing, but you mistyped the name of the episode in this review... You typed Iron Curtain, when it's actually Iron ceiling.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I don't think they were going for the "lesbian fixation" of Dottie with Peggy, but given her imitation, I wouldn't be surprised if she tries to infiltrate the SSR disguised as Peggy (hard in a way since she would have to do better than a brunette wig to fool the other agents, but she is a master spy after all). Also, the fact they focused on the lipstick being labeled "102 sweet dreams" looks too much like a Chekhov's gun that it has side-effects and she will use it on someone (maybe puppy-eyes Sousa)...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I was excited for this episode. It was nice to finally see Carter just go, "You know what? Shut up," to everyone in the SSR. Been waiting for that moment for a long time. Next week though it looks like she's going to show them just how badly they've underestimated her when they try to take her down.

I'm hoping that the little girl is Black Widow, because that would be awesome. Sad that she killed one of the Howling Commandos though. I was under the impression that only Bucky 'died' because that's what it says in The Winter Soldier.

Speaking of the Howling Commandos, I loved seeing them again. :) Was anyone else bothered by the way the machine guns were fired, to the point that they sounded like rifles at times? And I know it's television, but no one needed to reload either.

I do feel bad for the nice agent guy, seeing as he's tried so hard and now to see Carter falling in with the people that treated her like scum, but I'm hoping that he doesn't have such a tragic end that Bob is predicting. That would make me sad.

Love this series. Can't wait to see the next episode.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
what i was wondering about the possible love connections. didnt peggy say in cap 2 that her future husband was saved by cap at some point on the western front. if thats so doesnt that exclude blond agent dude from being that guy. as if he was serving on the eastern front at that time.

now maybe they have a short lived relationship but the way peggy was with cap i dont see her as the frivolous relationship kind of person.

The Choke

Nov 5, 2014
This episode was as satisfying as anything. Seriously. I've been enjoying the show since it started, but this episode is easily the best so far.

I didn't really get romance vibes from Peggy and Thompson, but anybody else notice some chemistry between her and Dugan? I should go ahead and rewatch that scene in Cap 2 and see if they show Peggy's husband in the photographs or if it's just her and the kids.

While doing some reading on Dugan, I stumbled on a page for Roger Dooley, and I cheerfully admit I had no idea Dooley was already an established character. Makes me seriously curious what's coming next.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
I kind of feel like Bob let us down on explaining references this week.

Were we supposed to know who the scientist Nikolai and his psychiatrist Ivchenko were?

Is Happy Sam Sawyer the grandfather of Antoine "Trip" Triplett? I'm not saying he had to be, but there weren't many other Howling Commandos.

Seriously, that Yeti story sounded like something that needs a Marvel Universe explanation. And the mermaids in Japan?

Edit: Just Googled Yeti and Marvel. That's funny... it COULD refer to a race of abominable snowmen (which we were told do NOT exist), but it could also refer to a character by the name Yeti who is an Inhuman. Hmmm.

Btw, with the dwindling number of episodes left, I'm now suspecting that the Agent Carter series is setting up villains for the back half of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Another Black Widow? 1950's Captain America? Maybe both?

Ian Suttle

Apr 7, 2014
*In the Peggy video seen in CA:TWS (not "old Peggy" -- the video Cap sees in the Smithsonian immediately before that scene), she says that Captain America saved the life of the man who would eventually become her husband.

*Cap served exclusively in the European Theatre.

*Thompson served in the Pacific Theatre, and so was EXTREMELY unlikely to have been the man Peggy was talking about in TWS.

*Sousa served in the War, but we don't know where. But there isn't necessarily any reason to believe he WASN'T in Europe.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
ritchards said:
They could have written that scene better. I'm guessing the idea was not that she was a super code breaker, but that unlike the others, she knew the decoded message was written in Russian.

The codebreaker likely HAD decoded it correctly using the one-time pads in the book they captured, he just thought he hadn't because the resulting message was in Russian, not English or German. So to him, it made no sense once decoded, so obviously the pads were either incorrect, or another system was in use as well (hence why he had tried Turing's method).

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
MovieBob said:
"The Iron Curtain,"
Sorry Bob, I love ya but actually it was "The Iron Ceiling" - I don't usually pick people up on things like that, but as you referred to the title as pun-tastic I felt kinda obligated.

OT: I agree the Episode is probably the high point of the series so far. I was hoping we might get a little more about the Black Widows.

Red Priest Rezo

Feb 6, 2009
Now this was a strange episode. On the one hand it finally gave me an answer to "Why in the hell would anyone there take Carter seriously, even if she was a man?", but on the other - proved my suspicions that she has no business being a secret agent. She is a great soldier, and she should've stayed with Howling Commandos. She sucks at being an agent. She is easy to trick, she is easy to manipulate, she can't cover her tracks, she can be ridiculously emotional, she almost got caught by a normal person - her landlady, and she even needs a butler to explain her what "secret mission" means and why it has to stay secret. Making show called Agent Carter about such a bad agent would be fine if it was something comical in vain of Johnny English, but expecting people to actually root for her? Sorry, but while we need shows about cool women, this one isn't even about a competent one - not at her current job.

Sad, really, because if it was called Soldier Carter - I imagine it would've been a lot more interesting AND the main character would even be likable. Well, at least if it wasn't as hatefully stereotypical towards Russians.

Red Priest Rezo

Feb 6, 2009
I hope they'll keep Joss Whedon for Marvel's Phase 3 - he actually can make good shows about strong and interesting female characters. Maybe he'd help with that.

darthdenim

Jul 10, 2014
I definitely got the feeling that Sousa was heading down the path to becoming an antagonist in this episode.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
DoctorM said:
I kind of feel like Bob let us down on explaining references this week.

Were we supposed to know who the scientist Nikolai and his psychiatrist Ivchenko were?

Is Happy Sam Sawyer the grandfather of Antoine "Trip" Triplett? I'm not saying he had to be, but there weren't many other Howling Commandos.

Seriously, that Yeti story sounded like something that needs a Marvel Universe explanation. And the mermaids in Japan?

Edit: Just Googled Yeti and Marvel. That's funny... it COULD refer to a race of abominable snowmen (which we were told do NOT exist), but it could also refer to a character by the name Yeti who is an Inhuman. Hmmm.

Btw, with the dwindling number of episodes left, I'm now suspecting that the Agent Carter series is setting up villains for the back half of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Another Black Widow? 1950's Captain America? Maybe both?
I'm convinced Trip's grandpa was Gabe Jones, from CA: The First Avenger. Strangely, Dum Dum Dugan was the only Howling Commando (loved him howling through that hole in the wall with his shotgun) I recognized.
Another mystery: is the Black Widow program (don't recall hearing them using the name in this episode) really connected to Leviathan? First yeti-like creature who came to my mind that I know is in Marvel is the Wendigo, but that guy's in Canada.

captcha: in the cart
They got away in a truck, but close enough.