Blackguards Needs Beta Testers!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Blackguards Needs Beta Testers!

Daedalic Entertainment is seeking volunteers for the closed beta test of Blackguards, its first foray into the realm of turn-based tactical RPGs.

Daedalic Entertainment, the German developer and publisher best known for its work in point-and-click adventures like Deponia, Edna and Harvey and The Dark Eye, is trying something a little different with Blackguards. Set in the fantasy universe of The Dark Eye, Blackguards is a turn-based RPG with tactical combat featuring a team of outcasts and criminals, including a convicted murderer as the player character, and while they may occasionally do something heroic, their only goal is to save their own skins.

There isn't much in the way of detail to go on at this point but Daedalic says it's "probably one of the bleakest stories ever told in the universe of The Dark Eye," and it's a universe that's seen a lot [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye] of stories told. Simple survival will be a challenge: Not only will you and your cohorts have to deal with the usual beasts and monsters that clutter up RPGs, but the law wants your heads and "mysterious powers with sinister intentions" are on your tail too.

If you're intrigued, you'll be happy to know that Daedalic is launching a closed beta beginning on September 4, and you can drop your name in the hat by sending an email to [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] explaining why you want to take part and what sort of gaming experience you bring to the table. Spots are limited but if you do get in, your name will be listed in the credits.

[gallery=1728]

Daedalic does pretty fantastic stuff in the adventure genre, so it'll be fun to see what it can cook up in the way of an RPG. The Blackguards closed beta runs until October 2, with a full release expected sometime in November. To find out more about what's in store, hit up blackguards.de [http://www.blackguards.de/home_english.html].

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Negatempest said:
Am I the only one who found the thumbnail to this article highly erotic? :p
That was the main reason why I clicked on the article! Also, your avatar reminds me of UN Squadron(Area 88).

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Heh, I actually played Dark Eye the RPG over 20 years ago now (the french version, L'Oeil Noir) ... first rpg I actually played, before even D&D. I remember it being very poorly balanced -_-.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Clive Howlitzer said:
Negatempest said:
Am I the only one who found the thumbnail to this article highly erotic? :p
That was the main reason why I clicked on the article! Also, your avatar reminds me of UN Squadron(Area 88).
I was weirded out last time I saw the thumbnail, too.

Also, UN squadron is th best.