Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
dirtysteve said:
erttheking said:
dirtysteve said:
Quite a few of your observations seem to fall under opinion. That and you don't really deconstruct any of the points they make. You just kinda point and mock then.

In a way you prove my point.

Also is there any reason you keep spamming the thread with comics that just scream "Strawman"? Again. You REALLY prove my point.
You're reaching, and it looks rather desperate. I posted a few comics, I hardly 'spammed' the thread.
The last two in particular are actually about the strawman the original comic sets up.

If you actually read the thread, Ive been pretty well engaged here, without resorting to ad hominems on the other posters.
To be honest I consider it spamming purely on the basis that you didn't try to use them to make an argument, you just pretty much said "Here is a comic I agree with." They don't add anything to the discussion and frankly they're annoying. So it's ok to resort to logical fallacies if the other person did it first?

You don't need to resort to ad hominem in order to prove my point. My point was that we live in a world where people are more focused on arguing against stereotypes of what people say, which was me trying to say that basically, we don't respect the people we argue against and we already decided long ago that they were wrong. You dismissing what Kotaku says based on your personal opinion on them being shit is pretty much what I was trying to talk about. Things like "We all know that's bullshit" is hardly a logically sound way to dismiss someone else's argument.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
dirtysteve said:
Something Amyss said:
dirtysteve said:
httand the gotcha that GamerGate won't rush to defend Kotaku is even worse.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree. It's based on the premise that GamerGate actually cares about ethics or games journalism.

I doubt anyone actually believes that to be true.[/quote]

So what do you think GamerGate is about?[/quote]

I don't care, frankly, and I don't need to. I don't have to make an alternative hypothesis to reject this one.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
C14N said:
Good. Ideally, every single site will get blacklisted by every single dev. Then maybe we could finally get actual journalism and criticism instead of press releases, hype and tentative symbiotic relationships.
Given that you're adding a new financial burden to an already underpaid group of people, you're actually opening them up to more chances for corruption, as this will put more power in the hands of publishers.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Something Amyss said:
dirtysteve said:
httand the gotcha that GamerGate won't rush to defend Kotaku is even worse.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree. It's based on the premise that GamerGate actually cares about ethics or games journalism.

If you wasted less time on talking about GG and more time about finding the "journalism" and the ethical problems that you talk about, maybe people would actually help Kotaku. But considering that it's Kotaku, journalism is out of question from the very start so good luck finding the thing you talk about.

[QUOTE=erttheking]Fair enough. Although from experience I know it's easy to say you'll stay consistent but very hard to follow through.

What do you mean "target audience"? Because I know Kotaku is an acceptable target around here, but clearly ALL gamers don't hate the website considering it gets enough traffic to stay afloat.[/QUOTE]

If this was just about Bethesda, you would maybe have a point. But since the topic is also about Ubisoft, the guys that are as hated as EA and close second in the race for the shitties publisher of all times of all industries, I don't see the point you're trying to make. No company did anything illegal or morally wrong. Kotaku spoiled a surprise for a birthday party and the parents of the kid decided to not talk to Kotaku any more. I don't see anything ethically wrong.

If there is something questionable there, it's the fact that the so called journalists expect free stuff from publisher. I don't see why we would believe them not to be biased in favor of the publisher if they are getting free stuff. So basically Kotaku outed themselves for receiving favors in order to play nice with the publisher. Now that's worthy discussing.
I mean we already knew that was happening since they didn't really hid it at all, but that doesn't make the supposed journalism any less shady.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Norithics said:
I love that it falls to the press to be blameless while the poor innocent corporations are raking in the dough being deceptive shitstains as a matter of course. They must love all these free internet defenders, it's got to be an utter delight!
You write this as if those poor unfortunate journalists aren't also part of corporations. This isn't big bad corps stomping all over independent journalists for breaking Big News. This is two corporations breaking a business relationship with a third corporation because they don't like what the third corporation did. I would like to know what, in this situation, makes either Ubi or Bethesda "deceptive."

As far as I can tell, the only one of the three corps who's being a deceptive shitstain is Kotaku, since they make several claims in their article that range from hack writing to laughably absurd. This isn't "the press" vs "meany corp. #1 and #2" this is a corporation that relies on manufactured drama manufacturing drama because two other coprs. broke relations with them for being hacks.

Everyone one here is "blameless" in the sense that none of the three parties have done anything unethical. If any of the three even bordered on shady, it was Kotaku itself for tip-toeing a thin line in how they released the info they did.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
whatever55 said:
Lightspeaker said:
But the fundamentals there are very much similar
again, they are not, you as a company are allowed to choose who to talk too.
you are not however, allowed to then enforce who others talk too, or influence their decision making.
blacklisting is when you isolate someone completely from the entire industry, nobody has done that to kotku, individuals simply decided not to talk to them.
now if you showed me some kind of proof of ubisoft talking to other big companies like konami or activision or whatever and telling them to shut out kotaku because of what they did to them, then you'd have a point.
>I point out that this isn't an issue of ethics.
>You quote me and argue against me, saying (as far as I can tell) it isn't an issue of ethics; as if I've argued that it is.

...what?

I do have a point. To elaborate: in each case a media organisation released a story that someone was unhappy with and that someone refused to continue dealing with them on a personal basis. And there is no ethical issue there, its fundamental to journalism of any kind. The cases follow the same pattern in both situations.

I said NOTHING AT ALL about blacklisting. In any way. Whatsoever. I have no idea what you're talking about in your reply. What point are you trying to make here?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I'm seeing a lot of arguing about how blacklist has to involve the entire industry. From where is that concept coming from?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
BiH-Kira said:
erttheking said:
If this was just about Bethesda, you would maybe have a point. But since the topic is also about Ubisoft, the guys that are as hated as EA and close second in the race for the shitties publisher of all times of all industries, I don't see the point you're trying to make. No company did anything illegal or morally wrong. Kotaku spoiled a surprise for a birthday party and the parents of the kid decided to not talk to Kotaku any more. I don't see anything ethically wrong.

snip
Considering that their parties are usually an embarrassing mess, Kotaku did a favor to the kid by warning him. /jk

Now, I know this isn't really related, but I can't keep out of my mind the disturbing implications of having gaming corporations as parents.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
CaitSeith said:
I'm seeing a lot of arguing about how blacklist has to involve the entire industry. From where is that concept coming from?
Probably historical context.
I can't speak for anyone else, but when I think "blacklist", I'm thinking of things like the Hayes Code, RIAA, several Hollywood cabals, and the CCA. Where several if not all major players in the business would collectively ostracize another entity to exert political and economic power.

It's one thing to be shitcanned by a big business, it's another to be shitcanned by ALL of them.

Best anyone can tell, Ubisoft and Bethesda made their decisions to blacklist Kotaku independently, and based on Kotaku's actions and attitude towards them than any conspiracy. Given that no other major publishers have followed suit yet, that seems likely.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
CaitSeith said:
Generally, the unethical/illegal form of blacklisting involves collusion, which requires at least two parties but often more when we're talking traditional industry-type blacklisting. It doesn't have to involve a whole industry, but it does require more than one major participant and collusion to be considered the unethical/illegal sort.

One or more entities breaking a business relationship with another entity unilaterally certainly doesn't qualify as that sort of blacklisting though.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Something Amyss said:
dirtysteve said:
Something Amyss said:
dirtysteve said:

So what do you think GamerGate is about?[/quote]

I don't care, frankly, and I don't need to. I don't have to make an alternative hypothesis to reject this one.[/quote]If you don't care then why did you post? You know saying Gamergate doesn't care about ethics or games journalism would incite a response from people that care, right?
Adding the snide comment runs against your own stated apathy.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
CaitSeith said:
BiH-Kira said:
erttheking said:

snip
Considering that their parties are usually an embarrassing mess, Kotaku did a favor to the kid by warning him. /jk

Now, I know this isn't really related, but I can't keep out of my mind the disturbing implications of having gaming corporations as parents.
I didn't think about that. Kotaku shouldn't have just spoiled the party. Calling the social service would be the right thing tod o. Poor little kid.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
No company did anything illegal or morally wrong. Kotaku spoiled a surprise for a birthday party and the parents of the kid decided to not talk to Kotaku any more. I don't see anything ethically wrong
That is a pretty good way to word it, got to admit. Also sort of hightlights both the silliness of the companies to blacklist over the issue, as well as the complete lack of relevance to journalistic ethics in the first place.

BiH-Kira said:
If there is something questionable there, it's the fact that the so called journalists expect free stuff from publisher. I don't see why we would believe them not to be biased in favor of the publisher if they are getting free stuff. So basically Kotaku outed themselves for receiving favors in order to play nice with the publisher. Now that's worthy discussing.
I mean we already knew that was happening since they didn't really hid it at all, but that doesn't make the supposed journalism any less shady.
I think the slide into the current state of the industry really has made too many people accept the outright unethical practices journalists commit far too easily. Bias and gifts has always been something they should have avoided from the start, so it is weird to me seeing some people trying to claim that kotaku not getting freebies is the death of journalistic integrity in games journalism. It is so backwards.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Something Amyss said:
C14N said:
Good. Ideally, every single site will get blacklisted by every single dev. Then maybe we could finally get actual journalism and criticism instead of press releases, hype and tentative symbiotic relationships.
Given that you're adding a new financial burden to an already underpaid group of people, you're actually opening them up to more chances for corruption, as this will put more power in the hands of publishers.
Could you please explain what you want then?

On one hand you dont want them to be dependant on big publishers and do real journalism from the sound of it...

On the other you argue that they should keep getting review copies and access to devs for interviews..

To me it seems that you are not contributing to the discussion here and are merely arguing against people for the sake of saying "nu-uh! it seems because either way you turn in this whole debate, youre against it for some reason. Ohyes and unnecesary gamedropping and then the famous claim that "you dont care about gamergate"...

I dont have a complete picture on what weird utopic idea of publisher / journalist relationshipts you have on your mind but from what i have seen from your arguments i get quite the picture.. and i have to tell you that it doesnt work that way in the real world. You can NOT have real journalism when you are DEPENDAND on the goodwill of those that you report about. Because then we have situations like what is going on with kotaku at the moment.

Either you have the publications being nothing more then PR mouthpieces for the big publishers, or you have "independand" journalists who dont rely on the goodwill of publishers and do real journalism without fearing loosing some priviliges in return.

There is no inbetween, there is no journalism AND getting all the free stuff + interviews + adds and still get to shit on the companies who give you all that. This is business relationships 101 for christs sake.

Are you for outlets like kotaku getting free shit? Then you are for the status quo of game outlets being nothing more then extended PR departments.

Are you against outlets like kotaku being dependand on big publishers goodwill and do their own thing? Then im afraid that these outlets will have to say no to early preview copies and exclusive interviews and deals as a collective. Wich ofcourse will NEVER happen because that would suggest the games journo scene has any integrity left whatsoever.

As jim sterling in his most recent video that covered this story said: "If you cannot survive without early review copies and interviews then you didnt had a product worth selling anyways" and that "Acess is a bonus" and this time i have to agree with Mr. Sterling.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This post actually interested me a bit, so I might as well give it a whirl.

Karadalis said:
Could you please explain what you want then?
This isn't about what I want. This is what a group of people claim they want, and I am pointing out that this is not the way to get it.

On one hand you dont want them to be dependant on big publishers and do real journalism from the sound of it...
Again, my point was specifically to the goal the poster claimed to want. I don't really have to know how to perform coronary bypass to understand that beating a patient in need of one with a sledgehammer is probably not going to fix their heart.

On the other you argue that they should keep getting review copies and access to devs for interviews..
Where did I say they should have access to devs for interviews?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I didn't.

it seems because either way you turn in this whole debate, youre against it for some reason.
I'm simultaneously against it, and some sort of idealist, it seems.

Ohyes and unnecesary gamedropping and then the famous claim that "you dont care about gamergate"...
Don't know what Gamedropping is, so I can't comment. But again, you're claiming something I never said. This is a common claim among you and your compatriots, a line I haven't said. And you added quotes, indicating that it is a literal statement from me. To what end?

The closest thing I can think of right now is saying that I don't believe for a second GamerGate cares about ethics in games journalism. As a whole, a movement, I stand by that based on the conduct I've seen. I can't speak to individual members, nor do I think that's particularly relevant.

and i have to tell you that it doesnt work that way in the real world. You can NOT have real journalism when you are DEPENDAND on the goodwill of those that you report about. Because then we have situations like what is going on with kotaku at the moment.
It's really strange to be told I have no side, am against everything, and then be told specifically what my views are. You seem to directly contradict your own claims about me in doing so

As I've said before, I've been both a reporter and a reviewer in the real world. I stopped pursuing journalism in college for two reasons: 1. I don't like to spend a lot of time dealing with people, and 2. I was doing almost 80 hour weeks between school and work to try and stay afloat. I found I cold make as much money in a fraction of a time and not deal with people as often by essentially doing IT work.

And you know, CDs are far less costly than games. The idea that the reviewer should incur the cost (which is, realistically, where this goes) is one that stands to put game reviewers in the hole unless they get paid significantly better than other critics/reviewers. There is a very real potential that such a situation puts reviewers in the hole, and that puts the publishers in a stronger position. This is where we came in, remember? I pointed out this exact same thing, before you started knocking down this strawman about my idealism and beliefs I don't hold.

Review copies in music are a matter of course and easy to obtain. I've been told the same is true for other media (in fact, I've been sent unsolicited novels and even a couple of movies, and I'm not even anyone of repute. I'm inclined to believe them). And, as I've mentioned before, when the music industry tried to pull something similar to this because of "piracy" and "leaks," it was not stood for. Review copies did not dry up. I can say pretty readily that it does work in the real world, my friend. Does it work all the time? I would be utterly shocked if it did. But what I responded to, what caused you to take issue with my comments, was cutting off one's nose to spite one's face--and I think simply pointing that out is of merit.

The real difference is that the gaming media has spawned largely directly from the gaming industry itself, like some sort of paradox-inducing consanguinous twin. There is, quite literally, an expectation of this sort of bullshit, both from critics and from fans. It's like a company store. But it's not like that everywhere.

Either you have the publications being nothing more then PR mouthpieces for the big publishers, or you have "independand" journalists who dont rely on the goodwill of publishers and do real journalism without fearing loosing some priviliges in return.
And you can have the latter without removing things like review copies. Which doesn't really help the false dichotomy here.

There is no inbetween, there is no journalism AND getting all the free stuff + interviews + adds and still get to shit on the companies who give you all that. This is business relationships 101 for christs sake.
It's not business 101. It's not even the same class bracket.

Were Siskel and Ebert journalists? They got free stuff. Early on, GamerGate held them up as a hallmark, even while pushing for things directly contrary to their examples. Siskel, Ebert and Roper get access to screenings for movies whose creators have had prior works raked over the coals. Is this not the real world? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, no escape from...sorry, I'm back now.

Are you for outlets like kotaku getting free shit? Then you are for the status quo of game outlets being nothing more then extended PR departments.
Patently false.

Wich ofcourse will NEVER happen because that would suggest the games journo scene has any integrity left whatsoever.
Does that include The Escapist? The site you're posting on right now?

As jim sterling in his most recent video that covered this story said: "If you cannot survive without early review copies and interviews then you didnt had a product worth selling anyways" and that "Acess is a bonus" and this time i have to agree with Mr. Sterling.
I would assume you would agree, as only about half of that is the actual quote and half is words added in.

But you just said the entire journalistic media is without scruples, so this quote doesn't really seem to apply.

Oh, and the other thing....

See, I'm pretty much of the opinion that the consumer doesn't want journalism. I don't think that the gaming press can divorce itself from hype culture, because I think this is what the consumer demands. People are too busy shouting "shut up and take my money" and will buy a bad or broken product while complaining that game journalists were paid off to give it a low score. We have people right here complaining that the reviews for Fallout 4 are biased because they're too high and too low, because it seems more important to reaffirm our personal opinions on a game than it is to get someone's honest opinion.

I say "we," but I don't care much about reviews anyway. In a world where I can watch people playing it on YouTube or Twitch and develop my own idea, in a world where it's more beneficial to wait for the game to be 95% off in 6-24 months, I don't care what reviews say most of the time, and I especially don't care if they agree with me. But amidst a base that demands heads roll if a review doesn't give the "right" score, I'm not even sure it's the publishers who are the real threat.

This is, as I've mentioned before (it's weird how you keep saying I haven't contributed, but so many of these points are ones I've made in this thread or the sister thread), the free market in action. Kotaku did what it did because that's the kind of "journalism" people seem to want. Same with click-bait and hype pieces. As far as I can tell, the publishers have a willing ally in the general fan base.

And you kow what? That's fine. I'm not saying it's bad or the base is bad for wanting it. But If consumers are going to demand the hype and to be told what they want to hear, it baffles me that they then turn around and complain about the lack of ethics or journalism or integrity. This is a free market press. This is, as far as I can tell, a feature, not a bug. As the Jam might say, "the public gets what the public wants."

But I don't get what this society wants...I can only point out what isn't a good means to a stated end.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Wrathful said:
sympathetic
Pointing out the folly of an approach is not sympathy. I would think it would be pragmatic to point out that a stated goal is not served by the idea proposed. This is also not served by accusations of sympathy.