Blackroom Kickstarter CANCELLED!?!

Recommended Videos

The Jovian

New member
Dec 21, 2012
215
0
0
In "WTF just happened" news: John Romero and Adrian Carmack's new shooter Blackroom's Kickstarter was just cancelled about an hour ago as of writing and I have no idea why it happened. It is especially disappointing given how interesting the premise was, and how insane the guns were sounding. Best case scenario, some mid-tier publisher like Paradox or Deep Silver decided to fund them without them needing to resort to crowdfunding. Worst case scenario, something happened to make them realize that it wasn't going to happen even with 700,000 dollars.

I really hope for the best case scenario.
 

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
6,437
0
0
They weren't going to get 700k, that's why. They were on track to get around 350-400K, if they were lucky.


And here's why that matters.

Blackroom FAQ said:
A game like this couldn't be made for only $700,000. We mentioned in the video that we've also been talking to partners who want to see a proven interest in game. If the Kickstarter funds they'll provide the additional funding we need to complete the game.
The kickstarter really wasn't for raising funds, it was a proof of interest for real investors. And if they had let the kickstarter finish, it would have shown those investors that really, there was no interest, at least not from anyone ready to pony up the cash upfront. They would have been finished forever.

So they canceled it. They're probably going back to the drawing board, and making a pitch that doesn't feel like it was made by a bunch of 7th graders for a Public Speaking Class. Maybe actually design a game to show us. Then they'll be back to try and prove people care again.

I am mildly interested in what their given reason was (It's in a Backer Only Update on Kickstarter), but I'm sure its a bunch of crap anyway.

Bob_McMillan said:
I feel like a dick for finding this funny.
I don't feel like a dick, but I find this hilarious. This is exactly how a kickstarter as shabby as the one Romero made should end, and it's gratifying he didn't get away with pulling this crap just because of his name.

EDIT:

B-Cell said:
And there it is. Romero pretty much saying in the nicest way possible that they fucked up.

Romero said:
We're not in a massive rush to hurry up, get all the money, and start making the game ? we want to do it right. So we'll stop the fundraising for now, finish the demo we're working on, and then do it again. If they don't like that, then we don't make that game ? but we think they will like it.
Not rushed my ass. If there wasn't a rush, this Kickstarter wouldn't have been started in the first place.
 

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
3,301
676
118
Well, they at least realized they weren't going to coast on 20 year old name recognition and vague promises for money. Good for them I guess.

I'm open minded on the game myself, but they came to the table with little more then stale hype and poor presentation.
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
20,033
4,742
118
The eternal catch-22 of videogame Kickstarters - you need a demo to get money, and you need money to make a demo.
 

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
34,677
14,218
118
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gender
Male
Johnny Novgorod said:
The eternal catch-22 of videogame Kickstarters - you need a demo to get money, and you need money to make a demo.

Name alone can only get you so far. In John Romero's case, not very far. Speaking of Kickstarter, is anyone still interested in Mighty No. 9 at this point. All delays have nearly made me lose all interest.
 

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
2,095
1,087
118
I guess the world just wasnt ready for such a manly GOTY.