Blasphemy! Covers that you like more than the original.

Seabear

May 22, 2011

Genre changes are always fun.

ALSO- I really disliked the original- but it does have a damned good riff that translates into guitar-

Jmurray21

Feb 7, 2011
Don't have a video link, but 'Long Tall Sally'. Originally by Little Richard but I prefer The Beatles version. Paul McCartney made that his own.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I dunno, I like some original covers and their covers. But if there's one cover I prefer to the original, it's Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt". (Kinda obvious, really)

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I found an awesome cover of The foo Fighters "The Pretender" by a little all girl band by the name of Cherri Bomb that I really love.

I also heard Seether cover Nirvanas "Heart Shaped Box" live, it sounded so much like the original it was amazing.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
Sacman said:
Andy Shandy said:

My friend believes I'm an idiot for liking this more than the NIN original (he's a huge NIN fan). I mean the original is good, but Johnny Cash just makes this his own.

OT: I love Dinosaur Jr's cover of Just Like Heaven... they just put there own spin on it... and J always takes the chance during the solo to melt faces as well as talk about his feelings...<.<

Both these are my choices too. Dinosaur Jr are a brilliant band, and Hurt is probably the saddest song in the world.

Glover09 said:

Genesis original, heavier cover, both good.

Say what you will about Nickelback, at least have good songs.
These are also good.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
No joke, I actually considered making this exact same topic a couple days ago. :p

Anyways, I'll go ahead and say it......I like Metallica's version of Turn The Page better than Bob Segar's. :p

I also like Metallica's version of Whiskey in the Jar more than the original.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
How has no one mentioned this?

I still love the original but this version is so... so... well, it's Jimi Hendrix.

EDIT: If someone mentions a Placebo cover I will cry.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Ironically, I strongly dislike this band (outside of the album Horror Show)

Let me think...I know there must be others...

Doog0AD

Apr 23, 2010
B.B King's "The Thrill Is Gone."

...Yes, that was actually a cover.

I'm also quite partial to Eric Clapton and B.B King's cover of "Riding With The King."

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
I prefer the Hammerfall version of Detroit Rock City better than the KISS original. Also, Disturbed's version of Shout.
Not sure if this one works...

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I prefer Iced Earths cover on Cities on Flame much more than the original. Think has way more OOMPFH... you could fall asleep to Blue Öyster Cults version.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
I prefer Strapping Young Lad's cover of Room 429 to the original by Cop Shoot Cop. Aaand, speaking of SYL, I prefer Devin Townsend's cover of Rammstein's Rammlied. It has banjos and fart percussion!

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I think the Muse cover of "Feeling Good" is better than the Nina Simone original. That said, I do still love the original.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Primus' cover of Have a Cigar I like especially. It helps that Claypool is a huge fan of Floyd (he did a whole love show with nothing but their stuff when he toured with Flying Frog Brigade)

Oh and while I don't like it more than the original I still love to bring this up because it's one of the best covers I've ever heard. It's absolutely bonkers and incredibly degrading and SPITEFUL of the source material instead of reverent and respectful. It's just a little bit backwards and it's brilliant because of it.