Blasphemy! Covers that you like more than the original.

Lucian The Lugia

Nov 4, 2011
"Kiss Me Deadly" by Reel Big Fish...I thought it was an original song by them at first, but it surprised me when I learned it was a cover!

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
VonKlaw said:
Because who really likes Boney M?
I do. I almost listed Belfast in my post, but I am not sure if it counts as a cover if a solo act brings a song written for her to the band when she joins, so I left it out. But yeah, I really like Boney M.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
The afore mentioned Cash's Hurt and Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower.

But Social D's Ring of Fire is so much more fun than Cash's

OneBrokePony

Jul 20, 2011
I haven't listened to all the many covers of Bob Dylan's Knockin on Heaven's Door, but I haven't found one I liked better than Warren Zevon's.

Speaking of Warren Zevon, after he died there was a tribute album of covers of his songs. I thought the album was kinda disappointing, but there were some good covers.

Don't know if I'd call it better than the original, but it's really close

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
First and foremost
Nirvana - The Man who sold the world,
And at times:
Guns 'N Roses - Sympathy for the Devil

sirkai007

Apr 20, 2009
Well I like the cover better than the original of this song. BUT, I'll let you be the judge...
Poison
Reel Big Fish Featuring Tatiana DeMaria

Tatiana just kind of adds something to a song about phone sex

flamingjimmy

Jan 11, 2010
I'm quite a big fan of this
.[/youtube]
My old band ripped off this version for a school talent show we took part in years ago, and everyone thought we were awesome for thinking of doing it like that!

Mwua ha ha ha

letfireraindown

Jul 28, 2010
.[/youtube]

Mad World, I love the Gary Jules version, but I've heard others that were great too. I mean there's a ton of people who have covered this.

.[/youtube]

Amazing how Shatner gives this song so much more emotion than the original.

Other's I would mention have been said (most multiple times)
Jonny Cash - Hurt
AAF - Smooth Criminal
Most of the covers I know from Real Big Fish (Kiss Me Deadly above the others)

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
No links/videos but Pendulum does a pretty good remix (does that count?) of Prodigy's "Voodoo People." Also the Nirvana cover of "Man Who Sold the World".

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008

The Birds originally did this song, even though most people credit the doobie brothers with it, But I like this version better.

PaganAxe

Jan 30, 2012
Opeth's cover of Celtic Frost's "Circle of the Tyrants" is the first thing to come to my mind.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
I always thought the Streetlight Manifesto cover of Such Great Heights by The Postal Service was superior. That might be because I vehemently dislike Ben Gibbard, though. <_<
Streetlight Manifesto cover:

Postal Service original:

Also, I was always much more fond of Mumford and Sons' cover of Unfinished Business by White Lies.

Mumford and Sons cover:

White Lies original:

Yoshi-Pop

Apr 1, 2009
Swyftstar said:
I really liked Peter Gabriel's cover of The Book of Love by The Magnetic Fields.
The Airborne Toxic Event had a realy good version of it too. They also covered Goodbye Horses(the song that Buffalo Bill danced to in Silence Of The Lambs).

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011

You know what, pretty much any song by Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen I'm bound to like a cover version better. I just think they're vocals are mediocre and the music in the covers often has a lot more to offer. Come at me bro!

It's funny how every cover of this song has gotten progressively better, Rod Steawart's version trumping the orginal by Chris Farlowe and The Stereophonics rendition standing head and shoulder's above them both, the pacing and production feels a lot better and Kelly Jones really puts a lot more emotion and vigour into the vocals.

I just found the original of this to be increadibly tepid, while this version offers a heavier, more crushing instrumentation along with Hetfield's more sinister vocals does a much better job at conveying the tone the original was trying to impart. So well done Metallica (but I still think your cover of Whiskey in the Jar is just bland >.>).

Again I think Thin Lizzy just bring a lot more verve to this performance, particularly on that guitar solo which just feels lifeless on the original and frankly I just much prefer Phil Lynott's vocals to Bob Seger. :)

The original has too much of a psychedelic vibe for my liking, the keyboards feel pretty jarring and the vocals just sound completely off kilter. Black Sabbath just made something that feels a lot more bluesy; Tony Iommi's guitar work on this is simply masterful, he's on fire with those solo's and Geezer's sexy bass really adds a lot to the sound as it builds up, Ozzy's vocals actually feel more woeful and has a better sense of pitch and it really just seems more creative, they took this song and really ran with it and made it their own.

This one's just for funsies. :) Honestly, this one can make me smile every time I play it unlike the original. XD

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
The Radar Love cover by OMEN that I seem to be unable to find on youtube for some reason. You might remember it from that Simpsons episode.
In the original Golden Earring song I just miss the guitar riffs between lines.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
No time to read through 3 pages right now so just in case they've been missed:
H2O's Like a Prayer
IDK's 99 Red Balloons
1000 Homo DJs' Supernaut
Eric Clapton's I shot the Sheriff
Jimi Hendrix's Like a Rolling Stone

Yeah yeah, Dylan was awesome but Hendrix was a fucking GOD.