Bleach is coming to an end

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
circularlogic88 said:
So, to steer this in a slightly more positive direction and not an echo chamber of "good riddance," what were some of your favorite moments from this series?
Probably the whole "inner Hollow" thing that Ichigo had. Now, I don't remember if it was explained WHY he was part hollow, but it was an interesting idea that I wanted the story to explore.

From the anime, Hollow-Ichigo vs Panther-Grimmjow was beautifully animated, one of the most visually pleasing fight scenes I've seen.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
twistedmic said:
DoPo said:
Besides, everything was quite predictable anyway: Ichigo faces somebody, then his opponent goes "but that's not my REAL power" levels up and they continue fighting. Ichigo pulls off a power up and wins. Rinse, repeat. Mind you, I enjoyed this bit, but I wasn't keen on the rest. If the show just stuck to this formula I'd probably have continued watching but I stopped bothering.
To be fair, that's the basic run down of any fight featuring the main character(s) from any Shounen-style anime you can name. Dragon Ball Z did that quite frequently with Goku, Gohan and Vegeta. From what I remember, the same thing happened in Naruto. I'm assuming that the same situation cropped up numerous times in One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh (though I never watched those).
Hey! HEY! There were no fights, in Yu-Gi-Oh - they were just playing cards. But yes, pretty similar structure to the matches, nevertheless. Yu-Gi-Oh was actually even more nonsensical because instead of "asspull power" any of the two people would just use a card or a rule that the other person hasn't heard about. It gets pretty funny when people who get into a tournament have to have pretty basic rules explained to them - rules about the game they are currently playing.

But yeah, the fights are similar. *shrug* I still enjoyed Bleach despite that.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
circularlogic88 said:
I'll never forget Ichigo's fight against Byakuya Kuchiki and Ichigo using bankai for the first time.

But my favorite segments were always when Ichigo would go into his Inner World and confront his Inner Hollow/Old Man Zangestu. No Shaking Throne still gets me pumped up whenever I read it.
Ahhhh, memories. The fight between Byakuya and Ichigo was a commercial on the anime channel in my country for the longest time, and was what got me into Bleach in the first place.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Jute88 said:
circularlogic88 said:
So, to steer this in a slightly more positive direction and not an echo chamber of "good riddance," what were some of your favorite moments from this series?
Probably the whole "inner Hollow" thing that Ichigo had. Now, I don't remember if it was explained WHY he was part hollow, but it was an interesting idea that I wanted the story to explore.

From the anime, Hollow-Ichigo vs Panther-Grimmjow was beautifully animated, one of the most visually pleasing fight scenes I've seen.
There's something of an explanation. It just happens so far down the road in the manga that by the time they get around to explaining that it was tangentially involved with Aizen's experiments prior to becoming a captain, you kinda already figured it had something to do with one of the Hollow/Shinigami hybrid monsters doing something to one or both of his parents prior to his birth. Sorry if I'm being vague, I don't want to spoil things for people who are curious enough to read the actual story/plot point.

I loved Grimmjow, I was hoping he'd be more involved in the story but it wasn't meant to be I guess.

Bob_McMillan said:
circularlogic88 said:
I'll never forget Ichigo's fight against Byakuya Kuchiki and Ichigo using bankai for the first time.

But my favorite segments were always when Ichigo would go into his Inner World and confront his Inner Hollow/Old Man Zangestu. No Shaking Throne still gets me pumped up whenever I read it.
Ahhhh, memories. The fight between Byakuya and Ichigo was a commercial on the anime channel in my country for the longest time, and was what got me into Bleach in the first place.
That fight was my benchmark for measuring other fights in Bleach. So pumped thinking about it, I think I'm gonna watch it right now!

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
circularlogic88 said:
Jute88 said:
circularlogic88 said:

There's something of an explanation. It just happens so far down the road in the manga that by the time they get around to explaining that it was tangentially involved with Aizen's experiments prior to becoming a captain, you kinda already figured it had something to do with one of the Hollow/Shinigami hybrid monsters doing something to one or both of his parents prior to his birth. Sorry if I'm being vague, I don't want to spoil things for people who are curious enough to read the actual story/plot point.

I loved Grimmjow, I was hoping he'd be more involved in the story but it wasn't meant to be I guess.
I kind of assumed that Hichigo was a result of Ichigo trying to regain his powers the first time (after Rukia got kidnapped) and got partially Hollowified in the process. Trying to tie it all back to some plan that Aizen/Ywach cooked up just makes the world feel smaller to me.

But, something positive: I liked Shrieker. He managed to be a far more vile yet understandable villain than either of the BBEGs we've gotten stuck with.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Jute88 said:
CrimsonBlaze said:
Jute88 said:
I still remember the smug response from Kubo when asked how long he will continue making Bleach and he said as long as he wants.

RaikuFA said:
Should've ended it when they killed Aizen.
Wow, wait. Aizen died? When? By whom? Anyways, it should've ended when they imprisoned him.
He didn't die. He was jailed and sentenced to 20,000 years by Central 46 (Soul Society Court). He was later let out, albeit still bound and somewhat powerless, some time later and I don't think they've gone further than that with the character.
Yeah, I knew all that, I (somehow) managed to go that far reading it until I finally gave up when Grimmjow came back.
You know, that's actually when I started getting interesting for me again.

I liked Grimmjow as a worthy rival to Ichigo, and getting to see him again made me hopeful that we might get some cool fights out of it. Sadly no; turning the Quincy into supped-up light-based versions of Arrancars with random powers that occasionally use bows as their weapon made the possibility of having any battle with them enjoyable or satisfying non-existing.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Following Bleach for plot and good story telling is like going to an internet forum for intelligent discussions and diverse opinions, no correlation. If anything you follow Bleach because you like the way he draws and see what kind of banana the character pulls of their ass to show off a new character design. Bleach: This isn't even my Final Form.

Heck I can remember back when I was in High School and he went full hollow, that shit was fuckin' cool, because the design is pretty cool, edge lord as fuck but cool. We cool.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
I only watched the show (fuck me, right) on top of the filler, I got to the part where Ichigo and his dad are chasing Aizen through the whatever-the-fuck and his dads all like "WAIT...time flows slower here I need to teach you the thing AIN'T THAT CONVENIENT!" That's about when I said I was done.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
I just have one question

did they ever establish why the person in charge of squad 4 (I think that's the one, the medic squad) was able to intimidate damn near everyone in the series (at least up til I gave up which was when they defeated Aizen (for the first time, I don't know if they ever went back to him)

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
totheendofsin said:
I just have one question

did they ever establish why the person in charge of squad 4 (I think that's the one, the medic squad) was able to intimidate damn near everyone in the series (at least up til I gave up which was when they defeated Aizen (for the first time, I don't know if they ever went back to him)
they did indeed.

She was the original kenpachi, which is basically a title that goes to the most fearsome fighter from the lawless regions of soul society. It all comes to a head when she fights current kenpachi during his efforts to learn his shikai.

the7k

Aug 22, 2014
I stopped watching somewhere in the middle of the Soul Society stuff. I loved the show in the beginning, when it was like a mix of Ghostbusters, Scooby Doo and Persona 3, but once it got to the Soul Society it just went full on generic shonen manga.

I really liked all the characters before they went to the Soul Society, they were fun, quirky and goofy, but once they leave the real world things get a whole lot more melodramatic and the fun moments get rarer and rarer.

Only thing keeping the show afloat at that point is the character designs, particularly the female ones.

Oh well, there'll always be the doujins.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I am surprised that it has lasted this long. I haven't been interested in Bleach in years, as I felt that the story had gone on for far too long, rather like Naruto did.