Bless This Mess

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Bless This Mess

MovieBob sits down with icon Bobcat Goldthwait to talk about God Bless America.

Read Full Article

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
This is what happens when you give a director a small pile of money and say "make something you feel like making..."

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
interesting.

though I'm still interested in seeing purely for the spectacle of 'gunning down the filth', that we have to put up with, and can't gun down due to those silly 'laws' we have -.-

yes i do hate reality TV with the fury of a thousand suns

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
I thought the movie was awesome. I agree with Frank's sentiment too, "Why can't you just be nice?". The American, hell the WESTERN world is too obsessed with other people's business, and each new reality show has to be even more outrageous than the last. Remember when eating bugs on Fear Factor was shocking? That is nothing now, and all it does is breed idiots.

I think the movie IS wish fulfillment, just not the director's.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
My first thought when I saw the trailer was "Wow. Americans are finally catching on to how stupid their own poular culture is." I NEED to see this movie, if only to see totally-not-Miley-Cirus get blown away.

captcha=saucy! Even the spamchecker knows there will be blood.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
In general this movie sounds good, although there is literally no way for me to see it in theaters.

Not sure I exactly understand the problem with hating on Juno though. That movie was terrible and the fact that Diablo Cody (or Ellen Page for that matter) still has a career is even worse.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Does it do the Falling Down bit, where you spend the whole movie cheering on the guy who's eliminating society's deadweight, only at the end to be told, "he shouldn't have done that"?

I surely hope not. When you make a black comedy/satire, either have faith in your audience and take things to their logical conclusions, or don't even bother.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
So, you like it because you agree with it?

Question: would you be similarly amused (or at least accepting) with a movie revolving around killing MSNBC hosts, NPR "reporters," Al Sharpton, fanatical atheists like Dan Savage, and everyone who wants to kill North Carolinans? What do you think the metascores for the two would be, all other things being equal - and is it even remotely acceptable if one side gets savaged when the other gets a free pass? I'm inclined to think not.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Gotta be honest ... I loved it. Really, I loved that movie. It was frustrating and it was "cheap" such bluntly that it actually felt ... awesome.

It may be one-sided. It may be preachy. It may be thought not as far as one should. But it is - as Bob said - intriguing. And given that there hardly ever is a movie that makes me actually like it like this ... I can only keep repeating: it. is. awesome.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I feel a little bit sickened just from what you described. It sounds absolutely horrible, I guess the hypocriticalness is meant to be seen? But even still I don't think I could get through watching something with so much hate in it's core concept. This isn't a way somebody should ever think.

I mean I'm not even comfortable that you didn't put quotations marks around 'clarity'.

JaredXE said:
I agree with Frank's sentiment too, "Why can't you just be nice?".
Because some madman has deemed other people's lives (which you pointed out as no-ones business) completely worthless and condemnable?

To bring it into practicality here, it's the choice of people in reality TV to appear on reality TV and the choice of people who watch it to watch it. It's done entirely between people giving deliberate permission to give up their privacy for something they think they might enjoy and it's non of your business to care about what they think, do or watch regardless of whether you enjoy reality TV or not (I generally don't)

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
omicron1 said:
So, you like it because you agree with it?

Question: would you be similarly amused (or at least accepting) with a movie revolving around killing MSNBC hosts, NPR "reporters," Al Sharpton, fanatical atheists like Dan Savage, and everyone who wants to kill North Carolinans? What do you think the metascores for the two would be, all other things being equal - and is it even remotely acceptable if one side gets savaged when the other gets a free pass? I'm inclined to think not.
The same question was posed to Roger Ebert when Outfoxed was released. He gave it a positive review and every political pundit asked him, "would you do the same thing for an anti MSNBC documentary?" After a week of hearing this, his response was simple and elegant: At this point I don't know because I have not seen it yet. Make the movie, let me watch it, and let me get back to you." The next year three anti- MSNBC documentaries came out and, long after any controversy was forgotten, he gave them all positive reviews. Was not to cover his ass, but because he enjoyed the movies.

I'm inclined to think that Bob would say the same thing and to think anything else is only meant to look for a fight.

exp. 99

Mar 31, 2010
I don't know how to put this movie, beyond that I enjoyed it. Not for the "ideology" or for the scenes where people just get blown away, I liked it because it did come across as a movie that wasn't ashamed of what it was. There was no attempt to be politically correct and not offend people, which I find remarkably refreshing.

As for the idea of smoking the assholes of the world, I honestly think the movie falls a little short on the high horse, but then again, it's still something I can sympathize with, even if I don't always agree with it. Again, its just the fact that it doesn't really try to reserve itself to keep from pissing people off or alienating potential viewers.

tl;dr, I enjoyed the movie for what it is, and don't think its for everybody

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The Gentleman said:
This is what happens when you give a director a small pile of money and say "make something you feel like making..."
To be fair, Inception is what we got when a director was given a metric fuck-tonne of money and told "make something you feel like making". And Inception makes my willy go standy-uppy.

OT: Sounds like Super, with Rainn Wilson, to some extent. Although that could just be because it features him beating the crap out of someone who cuts in line.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
malestrithe said:
The same question was posed to Roger Ebert when Outfoxed was released. He gave it a positive review and every political pundit asked him, "would you do the same thing for an anti MSNBC documentary?" After a week of hearing this, his response was simple and elegant: At this point I don't know because I have not seen it yet. Make the movie, let me watch it, and let me get back to you." The next year three anti- MSNBC documentaries came out and, long after any controversy was forgotten, he gave them all positive reviews. Was not to cover his ass, but because he enjoyed the movies.

I'm inclined to think that Bob would say the same thing and to think anything else is only meant to look for a fight.
I think that might be true of Bob, but read this
DVS BSTrD said:
HEY NOW! Kim Kardashian uses her ass for FAR nobler ends than "Rev" Phelps ever used a bible.
Hell I could use a bible to wipe my ass and I'd STILL be going more good with it than Phelps ever could. Did I mention I REEEEAAAALLLLLLLLLLLYYYYY like the premise of this film?
and this
My first thought when I saw the trailer was "Wow. Americans are finally catching on to how stupid their own poular culture is." I NEED to see this movie, if only to see totally-not-Miley-Cirus get blown away.
and this
I thought the movie was awesome. I agree with Frank's sentiment too, "Why can't you just be nice?". The American, hell the WESTERN world is too obsessed with other people's business, and each new reality show has to be even more outrageous than the last. Remember when eating bugs on Fear Factor was shocking? That is nothing now, and all it does is breed idiots.

I think the movie IS wish fulfillment, just not the director's.
and this
A two-man war against every douchey asshole in America.......... this interest me.
And that's just a page worth of comments before your or mine in this thread alone, and I think it's safe to say that some people would not be saying this if the film was about stuff that they like or hold dear.

If Jack Thompson decided to shoot a bunch of people who play violent-video games for instance. I don't think we'd get past the message to judge the movie on quality alone (Bob may or may not, his reviews of the Fast and Furious and American Pie have been negative just because they are designed to be liked by the sort of people he doesn't like) so I wouldn't say I've known him to not less bias get in the way.

Roger Ebert on the otherhand is a genius who brings such a delightful sentiment to every review and it's no disrespect to say that Bob has not yet reached those heights. But even Roger Ebert flinched a bit at this films message.