Blizzard Admits The Old Republic Stung World of Warcraft

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Not much of a prayin man but if the good lard would be me a solid, I'd remember it when he needed muy help...

No seriously, please open the market back up. All the devs are legit afraid to enter the MMORPG arena because of Blizzard. And while I don't hate Blizzard, I hate what they've done to the genre.

They created a single game and in doing so eliminated all the creativity in MMOs. Bastards.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
WoW follows a very formulaic pattern, and has since BC. BC, wrath and cata were exactly the same, with varying degrees of difficulty (with early cata being the hardest period, and most of wrath being a total joke). Level up, hit a few dungeons along the way, hit them 50 more times as heroics at max level, do first raid tier. Do other raid tiers. Wait until next expac, level up, etc.

It's definitely well done, or else the raiding scene would have died like every other MMO's does - I honestly say this is the biggest difference between WoW and most other MMOs. Rift had a leveling experience on par with WoW's, and TOR wasn't that awful either, but their endgames being massive jokes was the deathblow. Their devs look at wow circa 2005 and say "damn, I guess players really love grind" and try to make their game as grindy as possible, while failing to see all the ways blizzard has been reducing that grind (or at least masking it cleverly) over the years.

Back in BC, you basically had to do each tier of content before the next one, or your gear would hold you back too much to progress. That was a complete nonissue in Wrath and Cata, and you could pretty much jump right into current content after minimal gearing up (wrath introduced ToC before gear scaled too high, and cata's JP/VP vendor system lets you buy last tier's raid gear with dungeon points).

It's not that TOR is great or pandas are silly, it's just WoW is an old game, and most of the people with interest in it are already playing. Once their interest wanes and they quit, there's not really anyone to take their place. Blizzard has been trying to address this by beefing up rewards for new players/returning players (RAF triple exp lasting until 80, scroll of resurrection giving instant 80/free server transfer), but unless they change the formulaic pattern they've been following, there's not much they can do to slow the people walking out the door.

Trying new things like pokemon battles and farmville are just attempts at introducing gameplay mechanics/sidequests/timewasters that might entice more people to play, or keep current players entertained for long enough to pay that next monthly fee. I'm sure the raids will be as good as they've always been (hopefully more along the lines of Ulduar, and less like Dragon Soul), but Blizzard isn't stupid - they're going to try new things and see if they work. They didn't get the shiny 1st place MMO ribbon for sitting on their asses and praying, they got it for trying new shit and revamping what needed revamping. As long as they don't destroy the raiding scene in the process, I say let them add all the pokemon they want.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
The Old Republic was a goddamn shipwreck. Its funny to even think about how a crappy game with subscription fees could have lasted that-oh, CODMW3.

Well, we're doomed.

Bluntman1138

Aug 12, 2011
Mista Miggins said:
Actually, you are reading that wrong. Everyone is.

ToR didnt cause WoW Subs to dip that big, for one, it came out AFTER September, but here's the thing, It peaked to 12 Million in late 2010, okay so far, but by September 2011 the numbers were down to 10.3 Million, meaning that within that timespan over a Million people unsubbed from the Game.
Are you reading the SAME article as everyone else here? The very next sentence after the one i quoted says that the dude believes MOST (meaning majority) of accounts that dropped off in that time frame was because of ToR.

That i why i made my comment. Because you cant have sub drop off attributed to something that happened after the fact.

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
What Blizzard needs to admit is that The Old Republic didn't take a chunk of their subscribers away.

The Blizzard writing team for World of WarCraft took a chunk of their subscribers away.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
As someone who cancelled their WoW subscription because of Skyrim, along with all but one other person I know who plays WoW, I find it hard to believe that Skyrim had no impact on their subscription figures.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
It is nice to see competition now we need all the other MMORPGs to try and take a leaf from TOR and try to move away from WoW and try something that other MMORPGs have not really tried that often, sometimes that might help a MMORPG get some more subs.
Personally I quit WoW cause the content got too easy and TOR did not have too much end content for me, even though the raids were fun.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
HeWhoFightsBosses said:
Understandable; I'm having a great time with Old Republic because what it does better than WoW is making it feel like it's MY STORY. Questing isn't agonizing, though it did improve over time in WoW, and the Flashpoints are much better than "go in here and kill these dudes and the occasional tougher dude". There's a legitimate story to each Flashpoint.
Yeah, trouble is, the story is only really good for one or a few times through (that's coming from the guy who loves story in games, loves story in TOR and never skips any dialogue in TOR) and the world is immensely linear, which, aside from being an issue in and of itself, makes leveling for the second/third/fourth time on the same faction boring. Coupled with the fact there's nothing to do at max level (largely thanks to the above two facts as the first results you never stepping off the Republic/Imperial Fleet unless you're doing dailies and the second means doing FPs more than 1-3 times makes it no more fun than a WoW dungeon), it makes for a fantastic cooperative MMO that you can play with your friends, but not one with any actual lasting potential.

It's sad really... it's gotten to the point where I'm looking into GW2 and really, REALLY trying to find some appeal to it (I love a lot of things about it, but it's just not drawing me in).

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Thoric485 said:

WoW has been declining since WoTLK, losing subs every patch. They staved it off with the Cata hype, but not for long.

Now they're entering the embarassing pandering stage where they'll desperately introduce all the gimmicky crap anyone ever asked for, in hopes of slowing the tide. It happens to every huge MMO - UO, EverQuest.

Looking at WoW's massive cultural impact, it still has a good 8-10 P2P years in it, but they'll be slow and unfruitful ones.
It's not that they're pandering, they're refocusing the game on accessibility and generating new subscribers than retaining their old ones. Why? Because the grind will get boring no matter what they do and hardcore gamers are fickle bastards that are impossible to please. Plus, it's more economically viable to get new people to buy the game.

That said, the MMO market has become so oversaturated, that nearly everyone who was ever interested in playing one has already tried WoW at some point and either is still playing it or quit and is likely not coming back. It's starting to die its slow death, but through no real fault of anyone at Blizzard (though we love to think so), but just due to the way these games work.

I doubt it has 8-10 years, no game has survived that long and been profitable (call Everquest profitable, I dare you) on its own, much less in addition to the 7 1/2 years its already been out. It will probably go F2P within 3-4 years then Blizzard will leave the servers on until people stop playing, but mostly refocus towards Titan.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
It's easier to say another MMO took a bite out of them than to say their game is getting stale, I'm pretty sure their numbers started dropping well before TOR was released.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Well, duh it stung them. Didn't they also admit that they hoped SWTOR did well? Did they not expect that "doing well" would take a chunk out of them?

Course, 7 years and going people are going to drop off for something new because it gets damn boring after a while.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
I think people were just getting burned out on World of Warcraft. How many times can you save Azeroth or even slay a dragon before things start feeling repetitive? Or at some point you've seen the scenery until you are just tired of looking at the same valley or the same forest.

People just want a change. Even though Star Wars the Old Republic does the same basic things it's not the same basic thing with more Dwarfs, Elves, Druids, and Warriors.

Spent a lot of great time in Azeroth but the place is just too familiar now and the grids are feeling like grinds so it's hard to pay for a service that feels like a job now rather than an exciting place to explore.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
I thought City of Heroes took the most heat off of WoW, personally.

You know, since it was good.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
This is what happened to me:

Never played wow
played swtor
Got 3 level 50s
got bored
Played Wow
Enjoyed it 10x more

World of Warcraft is a better mmo.