Blizzard Cancels Blizzcon 2012

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Aureliano said:
So, for those of us who only care about SCII, this tells me Heart of the Swarm is coming sometime around 2014.
I would hope later this year, I'm dying to see how it turns out after the events of the terran campaign.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
TWEWER said:
Good for Blizzard. They're a game company. They should be focusing on making games, not on public relations.
This.
I can see the reason for fan fests, but it would be much better to pour that energy into develping something good.
also seems like E3 will be much smaller this year too, is this the trend that we will stop having useless early hype and actually see what games are what?
Uber Waddles said:
Its like they cancelled Christmas. Or the Superbowl.
whats wrong with canceling two most useless celebrations over the course of the year?

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Now I can't hear about all their awesome new IPs coming down the pipeline? Oh wait, its still just Diablo, Starcraft, and Warcraft. Phew.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Ah, well.

Guess I'll be saving that money this year.

Mists of Pandaria still has me scratching my head at this point, anyway.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
RJ 17 said:
In the words of Alexander Anderson a la Hellsing Ultimate: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!" Blizzard has become a lot like Square-Enix in my eyes...they need to work on releasing something GOOD rather than just re-hashing the same crap over and over.

The fact that Mists of Panderia is the next WoW expansion says a lot as to just how much Blizzard can't stop humping that dead horse. They've already killed off all major villains from the WoW series, now they're having to dig far up their asses for ideas to crap out on the table.
There are SO many things wrong with everything you said, I can't help but think that you're trolling.... despite that, however, you can consider the bait taken:

1) They've become a lot like Square-Enix? Um... no. There are absolutely no similarities between Blizzard and Square. Heck, there are so many things not in common with these two companies that I could probably write an entire novel's-worth of a post JUST on this point... so unless you have something relevant that I can work with on this one, we'll just move right along.

2) Re-hashing the same crap over and over? Blizzard doesn't release ANYTHING over and over, let-alone the debate of whether or not said (non-existent) releases are just rehashes.

3) Dead Horse? I don't consider 11-million subscribers to be a "dead horse". I'd more liken that to a lush orchid with more apples to pick than Blizzard could possibly know what to do with. Yes, I know the latest news is that WoW subscriptions are down. Firstly, we're still talking about a figure that's roughly 10x higher than what would have been considered successful in the MMO genre, even as little as 5 years ago. Secondly, it's my understanding that a lot of those lost subs were Chinese, and Blizzard is always having problems keeping the game running over there because of Chinese laws.

4) As for Mists of Pandaria (it's Pandaria, btw), people bashing on the Pandaren by claiming that it's Blizzard just pulling ideas out of their asses REALLY need to stop pulling excuses to hate Blizzard out of their asses. Does the phrase "among the most requested thing" mean anything to you? No? Well, that would explain why you don't run a multi-billion dollar company. Heaven forbid that a company maybe listens to its audience once in a while to see what they're saying. And no, a vocal minority's qualms going un-answered doesn't count.

OT) Ah well. Kinda sucks since I've made the last 4 years in a row (and go with enough people that someone is able to get tickets for everyone else), but at least in 2013 I can still say that I've made the last 5 Blizzcons in a row, just won't be able to say "for the last X years in a row" anymore.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Makes me wonder just HOW far away D3 and HotS really are.

Also, Blizzard is not an original design studio. Hell, their business model revolves around taking someone else's general game idea, polishing it up really good, fixing the flaws, and releasing it as their own. Not saying that they're horrible for it, cause they used to put out quality games. Just don't ever claim that Blizz has an ounce of originality in their collective body.

Vanquishuer

Twilight Vanquisher
Mar 5, 2009
Ympulse said:
Also, Blizzard is not an original design studio. Hell, their business model revolves around taking someone else's general game idea, polishing it up really good, fixing the flaws, and releasing it as their own. Not saying that they're horrible for it, cause they used to put out quality games. Just don't ever claim that Blizz has an ounce of originality in their collective body.
Welcome to 80%+ of the game industry.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
RJ 17 said:
In the words of Alexander Anderson a la Hellsing Ultimate: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!" Blizzard has become a lot like Square-Enix in my eyes...they need to work on releasing something GOOD rather than just re-hashing the same crap over and over.

The fact that Mists of Panderia is the next WoW expansion says a lot as to just how much Blizzard can't stop humping that dead horse. They've already killed off all major villains from the WoW series, now they're having to dig far up their asses for ideas to crap out on the table.
There are SO many things wrong with everything you said, I can't help but think that you're trolling.... despite that, however, you can consider the bait taken:

1) They've become a lot like Square-Enix? Um... no. There are absolutely no similarities between Blizzard and Square. Heck, there are so many things not in common with these two companies that I could probably write an entire novel's-worth of a post JUST on this point... so unless you have something relevant that I can work with on this one, we'll just move right along.

2) Re-hashing the same crap over and over? Blizzard doesn't release ANYTHING over and over, let-alone the debate of whether or not said (non-existent) releases are just rehashes.

3) Dead Horse? I don't consider 11-million subscribers to be a "dead horse". I'd more liken that to a lush orchid with more apples to pick than Blizzard could possibly know what to do with. Yes, I know the latest news is that WoW subscriptions are down. Firstly, we're still talking about a figure that's roughly 10x higher than what would have been considered successful in the MMO genre, even as little as 5 years ago. Secondly, it's my understanding that a lot of those lost subs were Chinese, and Blizzard is always having problems keeping the game running over there because of Chinese laws.

4) As for Mists of Pandaria (it's Pandaria, btw), people bashing on the Pandaren by claiming that it's Blizzard just pulling ideas out of their asses REALLY need to stop pulling excuses to hate Blizzard out of their asses. Does the phrase "among the most requested thing" mean anything to you? No? Well, that would explain why you don't run a multi-billion dollar company. Heaven forbid that a company maybe listens to its audience once in a while to see what they're saying. And no, a vocal minority's qualms going un-answered doesn't count.

OT) Ah well. Kinda sucks since I've made the last 4 years in a row (and go with enough people that someone is able to get tickets for everyone else), but at least in 2013 I can still say that I've made the last 5 Blizzcons in a row, just won't be able to say "for the last X years in a row" anymore.
It's not a troll, it's my opinion. Clearly you're a WoW junkie (or at least you're presenting yourself as one) and I've got nothing wrong with that. That's YOUR opinion. The justification behind my reasoning can be found in the following post I made in another topic:
RJ 17 said:
Well that's odd, my quote button isn't appearing in this topic. Oh well. Anyways, at least in my case, I just grew out of MMOs. I put in a good 4 years or so with WoW, right up until the final content for Burning Crusade was released and, like I said, I just grew out of it. I could no longer justify paying the subscription fee to play a game that seemed much more like a job at that point than an actual game. Everything became one big routine. "Do dailies, do dailies, do dailies, raid night, do dailies, do dailies, raid night, rinse and repeat." Just the monotony of it all got to me, even all the boss fights were beginning to blurr together. Every boss fight was either a "watch your aggro" fight, a "deal with the adds" fight, a "special gimmick" fight (i.e. Shade of Aran in Karazhan in which you had to dodge the blizzard and such...god that was a LONG time ago), or just a straight-up beat-down.

When it all begins to feel like Raids are just a lottery in which you're hoping for a chance at having a chance of getting the item(s) you need, the game just gets exceedingly dull.

Do I personally HATE MMO's? No, I just feel that, like every other type of game, they're not meant to be played forever.
Humping a dead horse? Check. Re-Hashing the same old crap (boss fights)? Check. The fact that Blizzard is so far out of direction with WoW these days that they have to take an April Fools joke from years ago and make it into an expansion (highly requested or not, it DID start out as a joke)? Check (as said in the post you quoted: they've killed off every major villain in the franshise, there's no where left for them to turn).

And just to clarify, I'm not saying that Blizzard is exactly like Square, I was making a comparison specifically on the re-hashing. As mentioned, the boss fights in WoW - though all different in their own ways - can easily be boilded down into one of the above quoted categories. Boss fights aren't boss fights anymore in WoW, they're homework assignments. Everyone has to go watch the video or read the strat, and so it's much less a "fight" as it is a "dance recital". "GOD DAMNIT! Mage #3, you're out of position! *raid wipe* Alright people, let's take it from the top!" So too is Square just re-hashing the same old crap they've been spewing for a few years now, specifically pointing to the example of making a direct sequel FF13 and apparently they intend to re-release FF 10. I wasn't trying to say that Blizzard now equals Square, it was a simple comparison.

Satisfied? Can you not at least see the validity behind my opinion, whether or not you agree with it? Or are you still so far in the tank for WoW that you cannot hear any words of criticism?

Edit: And I'm not looking for a "counter-argument" from you here. This is the justification behind my reasoning. I highly doubt I'm going to change your mind on this subject, and I know for certain that you're not going to change my mind on this subject. No need to be getting all worked up about someone not liking the things you like.

For more information on my views on Blizzard, feel free to look up the topic "My problem with Blizzard...", should be a fun read for you! (Keep in mind if you do, though, that through the course of that discussion I've lightened up on the points I made about Starcraft II...unless Heart of the Swarm comes out with a big fat $60 price tag on it, in which case everything I said about it will be proven as true.)

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Clearly you're a WoW junkie (or at least you're presenting yourself as one)
No-more-so than you are the kind of person who hates on something popular for no other reason than because it's popular (or at least you're presenting yourself as one).

Humping a dead horse? Check. Re-Hashing the same old crap (boss fights)? Check. The fact that Blizzard is so far out of direction with WoW these days that they have to take an April Fools joke from years ago and make it into an expansion (highly requested or not, it DID start out as a joke)? Check (as said in the post you quoted: they've killed off every major villain in the franshise, there's no where left for them to turn).
While Pandarens WERE used as an April Fool's joke at one point, they were mentioned in WoW's Lore well before that.

Everyone has to go watch the video or read the strat, and so it's much less a "fight" as it is a "dance recital".
See, the thing about dance recitals is that people do them for fun (or for pay, I suppose, though that's where loot comes in). So while the comparison may or may not be apt, all it really comes down to is "some people enjoy it".

Satisfied? Can you not at least see the validity behind my opinion, whether or not you agree with it?
The validity of an opinion based on bosses from 2 expansions ago? Yeah, not so much. Especially since we aren't even talking about WoW, specifically. As little relevance as bosses from 4 years ago have on the current state of WoW, it has even less relevance on Blizzard as a whole. I mean, by all means, I'm not saying that you HAVE to like Blizzard, but if you're going to state reasons to back-up your claims, try using information that isn't half-a-decade old.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I love how you convienently left out the part where I mentioned that I played WoW for 3-4 years before getting tired of it...as that pretty much completely negates everything you said. I'm not hating on something just because it's popular, I used to play it, and now I don't. As my self-quoted quote stated: I had fun for 3 to 4 years then grew out of it. That said, obviously my reasons for not liking WoW would come from two expansions ago...that's when I stopped playing the frickin' game.

Anything else to add so you can continuing arguing for arguments sake?

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
Im actually surprised. Blizzcon usually yields a fair bit of money, even if blizz dont have much to announce. Its stunning how fast tickets to that thing sells out.

Also, WoW subs are dropping fast. The reasons for that can be argued all over, but the game being antique, Mists of Pandaria having come under heavy criticism from all angles and competitors (possibly SWTOR more then others) stealing the spotlight(and subs), you'd think blizzard would use an opportunity to try and bring people back.
Maybe they're slowly but surely letting go of WoW and shifting the attention to other cash-cows. As an old ooold WoW player, I sure got that impression from MoP and the hyper-stressed content they're releasing in the patches these days. I get the feeling we wont see another expansion after MoP, especielly if it fails as hard as I think it will.
Maybe its time to let that old antique horsecorpse that is WoW be. Its looking really tenderized at this moment.

As for the other games, I couldnt care less for Diablo 3. Arcade-style mass-slaughter game with no real rpg elements doesnt really appeal to me.

Starcraft interests me more however. Probably the only blizzard game currently on my buy-list at this moment.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
RJ 17 said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I love how you convienently left out the part where I mentioned that I played WoW for 3-4 years before getting tired of it...as that pretty much completely negates everything you said. I'm not hating on something just because it's popular, I used to play it, and now I don't. As my self-quoted quote stated: I had fun for 3 to 4 years then grew out of it. That said, obviously my reasons for not liking WoW would come from two expansions ago...that's when I stopped playing the frickin' game.

Anything else to add so you can continuing arguing for arguments sake?
I didn't ignore the fact, it's just irrelevant. You could have played the game since Beta, or you could have played the game during Burning Crusade only. You're still basing your opinion on the current state of the game on the way it was during the first half of it's 7-year lifespan. It would be like someone dismissing Resident Evil 4 as a crap game purely because it's a Resident Evil game, and those have been getting worse with every sequel.

By all means, go ahead and hate WoW if you want, just don't try to claim that your opinion is based on anything that's still relevant. I mean really, the bosses you were complaining about? My Mage can solo those bosses at this point. That's how long-since obsolete those bosses have been rendered.
Tomeran said:
Im actually surprised. Blizzcon usually yields a fair bit of money, even if blizz dont have much to announce. Its stunning how fast tickets to that thing sells out.
Actually, BlizzCon is written-off as a loss for Blizzard. All that revenue from the tickets and merchandise at the store? That just helps to soften the blow. At best, BlizzCon only indirectly makes them money if you want to count it as advertising for stuff that will make them money, but that aspect is debatable at best.