Blizzard Defends Always-Online For Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
So much to read... I'll do it later.

Antigonius said:
*sigh* Ok guys, let's be honest with each other.

What can we all do against it?
Nothing. Sure, you'll say "I won't buy this game, hurr durrr durrr", but in reality, even if you won't spend your money on this - millions will. And this means that Kevin Martens still wins.

Face it guys, whining stopped helping us. See Google+ and their policy about it. The only thing we can do now to stop this all - is to literally hire a hitman on Kevin Martens or blow up the Blizzard South OR make a massive suicide near their offices and houses.

Welcome to the corporate future - where your opinion means shit to those who are higher than you
Well, I'm not buying this game. And I'm still going to whine, because this is BS.

There is no proof that whining has stopped helping, and so there is no reason to stop whining. And so, while you have every right to say that whining doesn't help, it doesn't make it true. And it doesn't stop the whining.

Blizzard has at least one thing working against it: they need the consumer more than the consumer needs them. Sure, they have many a product that many people will purchase, in spite of odious issues around it. I won't purchase it. If many others will, that's fine. More power to them. But there are many other games of the same genre coming out, not at the same quality, but the fact that they have an offline mode is very appealing.

So this guy here still encourage the whiners to still whine. Games like Diablo 3 are a convenience, in other words non-essential. And the Diablo series is no longer the only game in town.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I generally defend Blizzard as a quality company, but this is just bullshit. They can clearly make the game offline, ala the console release, but I get the feeling they're just too damn lazy to change it over for PCes. Which is not a trait I usually attribute to Blizzard.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Antigonius said:
*sigh* Ok guys, let's be honest with each other.

What can we all do against it?
Nothing. Sure, you'll say "I won't buy this game, hurr durrr durrr", but in reality, even if you won't spend your money on this - millions will. And this means that Kevin Martens still wins.

Face it guys, whining stopped helping us. See Google+ and their policy about it. The only thing we can do now to stop this all - is to literally hire a hitman on Kevin Martens or blow up the Blizzard South OR make a massive suicide near their offices and houses.

Welcome to the corporate future - where your opinion means shit to those who are higher than you
Really, that's your logic? Just give in? Also, have you considered that there are other options?

When you decide to not buy it, they don't make as much money and they can't add you to the numbers of who bought it. With many people doing this it makes you wonder how much they really could of made from it and how many more people would of been enjoying it.

It is not whining (I'm getting fucking sick of people generalising like that), it's standing up for your beliefs, or the similar. And because they have responded with such a dumb excuse they obviously feel some pressure. Doing nothing/saying nothing will obviously result in nothing, and it also makes it more boring for people just to praise everything.

Your post is only made from a depressing experience, that yes, they will make a lot of money regardless it seems, but sometimes it can work against them and change there attitude (Just look back at the full assault on Microsoft and SimCity 5).

So huur durr back to you, what was the point of your post any way? Because you lost all hope? Because you don't like to see people complaining? What?

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
The correct answer to 'always on DRM Diablo' is not 'Always on DRM Path of Exile.'

Come on, guys, actually proofread your own writing.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Antigonius said:
Nazulu said:
So huur durr back to you, what was the point of your post any way? Because you lost all hope? Because you don't like to see people complaining? What?
Because I'm bored, and it's useless. Seriously, humans are like cockroaches - they adapting to everything, if it is happening all the time. We're whining all he time - they got used to it and don't see it as a threat (and yea Microsoft|SimCity worked because they haven't expected that. That's not gonna work next time, trust me)

All I say, is that the only way to stop this massive load of BC - is to brutally kill those who make it, film it, and load it on youtube. Of course it's only IMO, and I admit that it's cruel, but terror always work, when words stop (and they seriously are getting useless).
Man, it really does seem you've had a depressing experience. Well, take this from a cockroach then :p

A lot of people I talk to and some of them even directly quoted to tell me here, have decided to tolerate the DRM and other crap because they think they'll have a fun experience any way. I don't agree with that train of thought but I guess it's a strong temptation for them and maybe difficult to ignore. That's how it has felt to me sometimes so I can only make that assumption for now. Plus, there are those who don't see the big deal since they have everything required and don't see how it could get worse. Now it sounds bad but I don't believe this is just 'adapting' to it. I see it more as it just fills their needs, but as soon as something inconveniences them then they'll turn against it.

Also, don't forget this game is under the name Blizzard, well known for the amazing original titles back in the hay days. I find that well known names sell more and get away with more since they've already earned the trust of a lot of people, even though it's not the same team behind it.

But even if your right and it all goes to shit, I'll still be here and strongly against it, without using any violence.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
I wished Blizzard would stop being so cavalier about this. Everything their reps say only edify my decision to avoid their titles. If they said "this is heavy handed, but we don't have a better option" would at least look better than "Can't get better internet? Sell ur house LOL!" Looks like being a stupidity distillery is contagious and it's passed from Jay Wilson to Kevin Martens. This kind of attitude is why I'd rather tolerate minecraft with frequent single-digit framerates or D3's "crappy sprite-based predecessor" than their upcoming new toy that has cutscenes that look more interesting than the actual game.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
What they need to ask themselves is "why did people do this in d2?"

The answer is that they thought it was fun. Don't get it? Well don't worry, don't need to. Just understand that some people find that sort of thing fun, and they bought the game to have that fun.

While I admire how they stand their ground by saying "This is what we wanted to make" (if that is the case), I don't like the whole "Here is a toy, NO YOU CAN'T PLAY WITH IT THAT WAY! Why? Cause I say so".

So come on people, let the hackers have their fun offline, and the others can stay safe online. Don't let em mix and it's all good.

D2 is a long time ago, I suspect people would not react the same way today. How about a little text box warning explaining how it works maybe?

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
Rattja said:
D2 is a long time ago, I suspect people would not react the same way today. How about a little text box warning explaining how it works maybe?
A part of the reason Blizzard had the impetus to go with this scheme was because a huge number of Diablo II players thought that it was a boring game if it couldn't be played on Battle.net (and it is, but I do like to solo uncommon character builds) and only the hardcore addicts would try soloing in WoW. It's a shame so few would be willing to wait 2-4 weeks after the expansion's release to buy it. I think a statement like that would get the message across that it's the company that's there for the players, not the other way around.