Blizzard Didn't Anticipate WoW's Demand

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Zen Toombs said:
I've been noticing a number of short, relatively low content news posts recently. Is it just me, or are others noticing it too?
Well, sometimes there's just not a lot to report on, or all angles have been covered. They COULD start fabricating stories, like, "Bobby Kotick seen grappling with John Riccitiello in the mud behind a Philedaphia Denny's over rights to deflower prize-winning show goat 'Ramus'" but, I think that sorta thing goes against journalistic ethics or something.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Yeah, this is pretty obvious, and frankly, I'd say from the way they're eternally shoving out new content as fast as they can to satisfy the fanatics who blast through the game in a week of non-stop playing, it looks like they're either constantly struggling to meet the demands of an unsatisfiable client base or they're playing solely to the speed gamers and don't give a damn about the casual ones.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
II2 said:
Well, sometimes there's just not a lot to report on, or all angles have been covered. They COULD start fabricating stories, like, "Bobby Kotick seen grappling with John Riccitiello in the mud behind a Philedaphia Denny's over rights to deflower prize-winning show goat 'Ramus'" but, I think that sorta thing goes against journalistic ethics or something.
There are some who would disagree with that statement. [http://www.theonion.com/]

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
I also think they are grossly overestimating their new expansion.Not to mention that fact that WOW is now a joke of itself.Unless your like 10 years old I cant see how anyone would be excited about pandas and Pokemon as high points of the next wow expansion.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
those of us who played wow on release noticed that

on an entirely different note: does anybody else get the ads for world of tanks and wonders who the fuck would want to have french tanks in that game?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Completely old hat to me. I could have told you that based on the crippling shortage of servers.
They had filled out the servers under a WEEK of launch; I remember it because one of my classmates in CISCO barely got onto a server, and half the bloody class followed suit within a couple of months.

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
Hammeroj said:
And yet, most people seem to think it's fine and dandy.
I'm a person and I'm not impressed. I realise that this sample size of 1 is probably not large enough to count for much, but I'm hoping if I make enough noise and complain loads that Blizzard will change their entire game for the sake of me and me alone :p

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
dragongit said:
4,200 empoyees more then they had 7 years ago, and yet they still recycled 6 bosses in their last raid. I know they were working on a new expansion, but come on, 10 of those guys could have been used to make new models.
I know right... Firelands and Dragonsoul have left me with very bitter taste in my mouth.

Icecrown and Ulduar at least tried a BIT harder, and if a little hiccup like Trial of the Crusader and longer wait is all we have to do to get that kind of variety and larger content area again then I'll gladly sit down and keep my mouth shut...

Anyway I could write pages about the terrible raid formula at the moment but it won't help matters, the game itself is still very enjoyable and with more to do than ever, it just lacks the great social hooks I think the previous endgame expansions had (LFR and LFG now allowing you to do all the game has to offer without making a single friend)...

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
Fappy said:
Zen Toombs said:
I've been noticing a number of short, relatively low content news posts recently. Is it just me, or are others noticing it too?
Could be a slow news day. Some news is better than no news.
thats not how that saying goes :p

you would never actually choose rehashed news from 5 years ago over nothing would you?

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
You mean that when WoW first launched MMO's weren't the big ticket games they're considered now? You mean that like most MMO makers, at the time, Blizzard was hoping for around 50,000 subscribers and never saw the 3 million plus subscribers they got instead even being a possibility?

Tell us something we didn't already figure out back in 2004!

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
I find people posting things like "all those employees and they can't think up better ideas or fix bugs!" hilarious.

Most of those employees are.. gasp.. not developers. They are GMs, Billing staff and Tech Support. Even with all those people, they still can't keep up with the demand of 10+ million players.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
IamGamer41 said:
I also think they are grossly overestimating their new expansion.Not to mention that fact that WOW is now a joke of itself.Unless your like 10 years old I cant see how anyone would be excited about pandas and Pokemon as high points of the next wow expansion.
Uhh the rest of us quit before pandas mate. Blizzard are notoriously slow developers and translating it to an MMORPG where they bring in their trademark 'we can just barely balance a few different things' didn't work out.

I went to SWTOR and I got harshly lied to, it was just SSDT, the only redeeming part being the stories but it wasn't cost effective for me.

Now we're all waiting for guild wars 2 and hoping for dark millennium online.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
vansau said:
These days, Blizzard has a much better finger on the pulse of its online community, meaning it can gauge where interests lie and anticipate for activity increases when new expansions and features are launched.
Oh... hahahaha... That's funny. They have no clue of its community. The fight with Valve over DoTA proves that. Granted that it wasn't Blizzard's game to begin with but they were completely in the dark as to what potential it had.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
A few years from now I expect to be hearing the same thing from the developers of SWTOR. And it'll be just as interesting then. e_e