Blizzard Encourages High Hopes For Diablo 3

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Not buying this game is going to drive me crazy. I've passed on games I've been iffy about before, but never one I wanted this badly. But always online = no money from me.

That said, I have every confidence that Blizzard will deliver. Blizzard didn't get to where it is today by being lucky.
I wish I was as strong as you. I think if I skipped Diablo 3 my head would literally implode.

While Blizz can get away with it because of their extreme fanbase, it still makes me like them less. In the long run, it will hurt them. If only a little.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Not buying this game is going to drive me crazy. I've passed on games I've been iffy about before, but never one I wanted this badly. But always online = no money from me.

That said, I have every confidence that Blizzard will deliver. Blizzard didn't get to where it is today by being lucky.
The higher they are, the harder they fall. Nothing lasts forever and Blizzard pulling the online-only move just for extra cash in the auction house is a hard turn into dark alley, frankly.
It doesn't matter if it isn't for DRM purposes. Blizzard has had its bad days before with its servers, and I have to wonder how many people are going to get screwed off some once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for some easy money when they lose a sale because of a server hiccup.
I don't even like the auction house being a factor in the always-on affair because it creates an edge for cashiered players. It doesn't matter that the items they can buy can also be found in the game. It is going to create an atmosphere of intimidation where, over time, cashiered players won't want to have anything to do with those who can't buy from the auction house because they can't get the uber items.
Blizzard isn't doing this for all Diablo fans. They see a very large demographic over in Asia willing to plunk down extra change for their games addiction, and those of us in the Western Hemisphere and Europe can just deal with it. It feels kind of like the prohibition, only the mafia puts most of their speak-easy's in Irish country because they know that's where the most booze will be sold. Who cares about the other people who would prefer not to stand out like a sore-thumb to get a shot of whiskey?

This kind of action soils the entire game for me to the point I don't even want to deal with Blizzard again. Besides, who is to say they don't pull this same crap with the next Starcraft II? How hard would it be to make the special units you earn in the single-player campaign available in the auction house to buy for use in multiplayer? This is like TF2 and its system taken to the dark side. Of a very filthy alley.

No, you will find me playing Torchlight and Torchlight 2, thank you very much. And for less money and more high hopes.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
I always considered Bashiok to be Blizzard's allowanced troll/fanboy. He may say some official things, but is mostly there to take part in a conversation aimed at some Blizzard fault or act like a jackass.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
As opposed to encouraging despair for Diablo 3?

Too late either way, because they lost my sale last year.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Royas said:
Andy Chalk said:

I agree with you totally. I loved Diablos 1 and 2, I'm sure I'd love Diablo 3. I have no doubts it's going to be an awesome game. But online for a single player game? Sure, for the multiplayer part it makes sense, but not for the single player campaign. Having no desire to play online, it's just something that might prevent me from playing when I want, with no control over whether I can play or not, and with no say in when it stops being playable altogether in the future.

Sorry, Ubisoft went that way, and we can all see how very wonderfully that went for everyone.
+1 on this. As in, I spent countless hours on Diablo 1 & 2, on LAN with friends and offline on my own. And enjoyed every minute. To the point where I was deleting characters (and all their backups) just to get my college life back on track.

I know this is going to rock the world to pieces. It's Blizzard, and they don't release something until it is polished and spectacular. But I cannot advocate always on DRM, and not being able to pause. And I highly doubt this will be a gigantic let down like #@$%(*&ing DUNGEON SIEGE.