Blizzard Files Suit Against Overwatch Cheat Creator

thethain

Jul 23, 2010
I honestly have no idea why anyone could defend the cheat selling company. Do you defend crypto wall writers who literally ransom peoples files back to them because the extortioners are based in a country that has no laws or will to enforce them for foreign victims?

Blizzard does lots of shady crap, call them out on it, but trying to stop people from ruining peoples games isn't one of them.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Kibeth41 said:
Neverhoodian said:
Are...are people trying to defend the cheaters here? Really? The first Facebook comment called Blizzard "scumbags," and now I'm seeing folks splitting hairs over their choice of words.

Frankly, I wish more publishers would do this. I'm sure at least some cheaters out there would think twice about their actions if they knew there was the potential for legal action to be taken against them.
That's what I'm thinking.

The cheaters deserve any legal action taken against them. They're literally making an effort to ruin the game for a large portion of players. It's ridiculously scummy.

But Blizzard will get shit over literally anything they do. Because apparently they're evil money hungry slave owners who want to see the world burn... Despite them literally being a company who develop pretty high quality MMOs, with a lot of employees who clearly have a passion for what they do.
That's the funny thing IMO. Yes, Blizzard is doing this because they're money hungry. But... how is that inherently a bad thing? They're trying to protect the investments they've worked on from those who are trying to ride off their success in the most destructive manner possible (all the while giving snarky "lol can't touch us" comments no less).

To steal TheThain's quote, "Blizzard does lots of shady crap, call them out on it, but trying to stop people from ruining peoples games isn't one of them." Blizzard is, at worst, morally neutral in this situation.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Kibeth41 said:
Infernal Lawyer said:
That's the funny thing IMO. Yes, Blizzard is doing this because they're money hungry. But... how is that inherently a bad thing? They're trying to protect the investments they've worked on from those who are trying to ride off their success in the most destructive manner possible (all the while giving snarky "lol can't touch us" comments no less).

To steal TheThain's quote, "Blizzard does lots of shady crap, call them out on it, but trying to stop people from ruining peoples games isn't one of them." Blizzard is, at worst, morally neutral in this situation.
You do realize that I was being sarcastic, right? About the money hungry part.

Blizzard aren't the evil corporate giants which people make them out to be. It's actually ridiculous when people try to portray them as such.
Well, I WAS trying to agree with you. I'm just pointing out that people need to stop acting as if liking money is inherently evil, or any action inspired by a want of money is inherently wrong.

Maybe the term "money hungry" has far more negative connotations than I realized. *shrugs*

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
It is good that they try to do something against cheaters. It is also good that they can't really touch this firm because German law regarding third party software is different. It is not only cheats, it is also pretty much every other supplement or add on and overall the software world is a better place if customers and 3rd party developers can develop and use interfaces to enhanced or change the abilities of software without getting successfully sued.

There is already enough "we don't want this tool to exist or to be able to work with our files because we might or might not want to implement something similar but more expensive sometime in the future" going on.

Developers should go backto selling products, not licenses and should stop trying to control how consumers use their software. And yes, i do say that as software developer.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I wonder if Blizzard will just reverse engineer the cheating tech, so it's detectable. And anyone using it gets permabanned. Seems only fair.