Blizzard Nearly Gave Us Diablo in Space

ProfessorLayton

Brotha That Will Smotha Yo Motha
Nov 6, 2008
7,453
0
0
I definitely would have played that. I'm a big Diablo fan, but I've always enjoyed sci-fi settings over fantasy.

They just need to do something about that title...
 

chstens

New member
Apr 14, 2009
993
0
0
Jesus christ. Guys, "Starblo" wouldn't have been the final name, it says right there in the article that it was a NICKNAME, not even a working title. On topic, yeah, I would've played that. Bring me some giant evil space squids and some laser weapons, Blizzard.
 

Playing The System

New member
Oct 24, 2012
50
0
0
I would have bought that day one even if it was labeled Captain Loopys: Space Adventures, just the concept the game has got me wanting it. XD
 

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
5,147
0
0
There are already a game where you fight demons in space [if Blizzard wanted to go in this direction]:


The whole first game take place in two different Moons and the end of course in Hell.
I am shocked if you think about it:
Doom still have a very unique theme even after so many years!!!

EDIT:
Did the Escapist is broken? why the heck don't show the image?
 

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
780
0
0
"Like Diablo 2, Starblo would take place over several acts, but rather than journey across a single world, players would board their customizable spaceship and travel to new planets, killing and looting the space creatures they found there."
And then the universe explodes for being so awesome.

Let us take a moment to imagine some of the character classes:

Mechanic: "Summons" portable floating machines. One skill for the turrets, one for an aoe electrical field thing, one for flight and one for mastery of the other three.

Pirate: A bunch of skill that gives cool laser gun moves and maybe a few for cool bombs.

Noble: Jedi

Cyborg: Roided up melee-er with skills that act like cybernetic implants that make you better at beating things up.

Edit:
SweetShark said:
Did the Escapist is broken? why the heck don't show the image?
Did the Escapist is broken... okay. Well, your link isn't an image... it's a link. Try [ IMG ] not [ URL ]
 

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
5,147
0
0
Pebkio said:
"Like Diablo 2, Starblo would take place over several acts, but rather than journey across a single world, players would board their customizable spaceship and travel to new planets, killing and looting the space creatures they found there."
And then the universe explodes for being so awesome.

Let us take a moment to imagine some of the character classes:

Mechanic: "Summons" portable floating machines. One skill for the turrets, one for an aoe electrical field thing, one for flight and one for mastery of the other three.

Pirate: A bunch of skill that gives cool laser gun moves and maybe a few for cool bombs.

Noble: Jedi

Cyborg: Roided up melee-er with skills that act like cybernetic implants that make you better at beating things up.

Edit:
SweetShark said:
Did the Escapist is broken? why the heck don't show the image?
Did the Escapist is broken... okay. Well, your link isn't an image... it's a link. Try [ IMG ] not [ URL ]
Yes, of course I already tried the [ img ] command, but didn't worked that why I put a link instead.
The funny thing is I don't thik the link work either.
*test*
Yes, the link doesn't work. Did something happened?
 

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
780
0
0
SweetShark said:
Yes, of course I already tried the [ img ] command, but didn't worked that why I put a link instead.
The funny thing is I don't thik the link work either.
*test*
Yes, the link doesn't work. Did something happened?
I personally don't use the [ URL ] tag...

I use this instead. [http://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/tutorialimages/RaspberryPi/doom-cover.jpg] That way, I don't need to hide the url in a spoiler.

That would be

Not sure why the image tag isn't working. Let's see:

Oops... even the pictures from before are all missing. I'll try to remember the other tag for images.

Edit: and now it works again.
 

WhiteTigerShiro

New member
Sep 26, 2008
2,366
0
0
FelixG said:
MikeWehner said:
Given that the game never saw release, we have to assume that the playable builds weren't compelling enough to warrant further resources.
Blizzard isnt exactly the best developer on the block, so there is no reason to assume it wasnt compelling enough, I am more inclined toward thinking they are just idiots who couldnt pull it together ala Ghost.
I like how your own personal opinion trumps cold, hard facts. The more likely story is that they showed the game to the higher-ups who then decided that the game was too much of a copy/paste of Diablo II with only a change in setting. Unlike companies like EA or Activision, Blizzard doesn't release tired clones annually and bill them as full-fledged sequels. And yes, I know, you have some biting, sarcastic comeback to that statement.