Blizzard Plans Big Warcraft PvP Changes

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Blizzard Plans Big Warcraft PvP Changes

Hope you didn't spend too much time getting all that Resilience PvP gear.

"We face some significant challenges," says Blizzard in a World of Warcraft blog post, "so we're prepared to take some unprecedented steps to meet them." The challenge is balancing PvP gear; Blizzard really doesn't want your toon's kit to be the reason why you're beating on the PvE crowd all the time. Its proposed solution? Weeeeell ... it may not be for the faint of heart. The following 5.3 changes will be implemented:

? Base Resilience will be set to 65% for all characters level 85 and higher
? Resilience will be removed from nearly all PvP gear
? Players will still be able to use Resilience gems and enchants
? PvP power will remain exclusively on PvP gear
? PvP set bonuses that currently provide Resilience will now provide PvP Power
? Healers and hybrid-casters will benefit to a greater degree from PvP Power, and Battle Fatigue will increase to make PvP gear superior for healers.
? Conquest gear will be increased to item level 496 (up from 493).
? Elite gear will be decreased to item level 496. This gear will essentially become a prestige upgrade.

The Big Change: We will be adding an item level ceiling to all gear in unrated Battlegrounds, Rated Battlegrounds and Arenas.
? All gear with item levels higher than 496 will be scaled down to 496 (Conquest gear item level). This includes even Conquest items that exceed the level ceiling, such as weapons.

In addition, some of the changes that we've discussed previously will also be implemented:
? In patches that don't include a new season (including patch 5.3), the seasonal currency requirement of 7,250 Conquest Points earned will be lifted from weapons. The seasonal currency requirement must always be met to purchase Elite items, though.
? Once the 27,000 Conquest Point seasonal currency requirement is reached, players will be able to purchase Tyrannical Gladiator's gear with Honor Points.
? The Conquest Point catch up cap will be introduced. You can read our PvP Gear in 5.2 and Beyond blog for more information on these changes.

"The competitive nature of PvP means that highly geared players can serve as a deterrent to players who are looking into trying PvP for the first time," says Blizzard. This change is all about increasing participation; now players' Resilience and Stamina boosts will be broadly the same, whether their gear is PvP or PvE, though weapon damage still favors PvP gear. Increasing survivability, Blizzard hopes, will be enough of a carrot to tempt PvE geared players onto the battlefield.

Only time will tell whether that tactic will be successful, but Blizzard's hoping that players will share their views on the subject [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1181024/].

Source: Blizzard blog [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/9331806/PvP_Gear_in_Patch_53-3_25_2013]

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
Eh. This was a complaint I had a VERY long time ago. Too little too late, I say. Not nearly enough to get resubs from folks I don't think.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Dammit Blizzard. Don't do shit that makes sense. I am quite happily quit of you, thanks.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
This is a good thing for PvE players but kind of a slap in the face to PvP players. I know for sure that the reason I took part in the grind for great PvP gear was so I could walk all over the unprepared. That was a part of the fun of PvP, single handedly taking out a group of people that thought their raid sets made them invincible but then running for your life from a group of PvP geared enemies.

Semcat

May 14, 2012
So basically they are going back to the way PvP was in vanilla WoW? But now instead of having to earn your gear (get into a guild raiding Black Wing Lair and hoping a piece of gear you needed dropped) you basically just have to get tokens from raiding or daily quests? (assuming they are still doing tokens... I stopped playing right before Cataclysm released)

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Kalezian said:
and then you end up fighting the same three teams each season because anyone that potentially wanted to try PvP got steamrolled in PUG arenas.

It got to the point with me that every class I went against did the exact same tactics. Only once did I see a priest team and they nearly won due to their shadow getting love from heals.

While this would of been a good thing, say back when PvP was actually good and seasons were something to look forward to, cant say this makes me want to go back.

Too little, too late Blizzard.
To be fair, I hated the Arena from its very conception and never took part in it for more than a few matches. I much prefer BGs and world PvP. However, Blizzard officially killed world PvP with WotLK so all that was left for me were BGs and a bit of Wintergrasp. Wintergrasp was dildos.

I miss Vanilla PvP the most, back when it was a public humiliation for the Horde of your server to raid Orgrimmar and kill Thrall. Of course, the same could be said for successfully raiding the Stormwind Keep, of course.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
The idea of PVP gear has always struck me as massively retarded. It's the main reason I never got into pvp in WoW as well. Tera Online has a similar problem as well as RIFT. I'm personally pretty amazed it's like everyone saw WoW get pvp gear and decided they had to copy them to have good pvp only to realize that in copy blizzards Idea's they were also copying their problems.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Blizzard....what needs to happen to PvP for people to be more interested in it is to severely nerf the effectiveness of Crowd Control and Healing in PvP. Right now you spend most of your time not in control of your character due to all the stuns, snares and other CC, and it takes a ridiculous amount of people to down a healer or anyone being healed by one because healing is so effective.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Paragon Fury said:
Blizzard....what needs to happen to PvP for people to be more interested in it is to severely nerf the effectiveness of Crowd Control and Healing in PvP. Right now you spend most of your time not in control of your character due to all the stuns, snares and other CC, and it takes a ridiculous amount of people to down a healer or anyone being healed by one because healing is so effective.
Yup - And now classes that have no business healing, outside of bandages, are healing. There's nothing quite as terrible as thinking you've got the drop on a warrior only to see victory rush heal them for the majority of their life, and then get stun locked (by a warrior) to death.

Every time i log into WoW to PvP some, I always find myself saying,'well that just happened,' after (in full pvp gear mind you), getting globaled by some classes like mages, warlocks, or warriors (i'm a rogue). I'm sure it's different in rated BGs/Arenas, but it's just so tiresome now.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
PvP and PvE will never peacefully coexist. "Why can't I raid in PvP gear?" "There's no point in trying PvP if I'm going to get stomped in top tier raid gear." "I don't want to have to raid to get the best gear for PvP (or vice versa)." and nobody wants to grind through PvP to get geared up and then turn around and go through another, separate, equally long grind for raid gear.

Sure, the answer is, "Just play the part of the game you like best." But that leaves people only getting to play half the game. It's a model that leaves everyone dissatisfied.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
This IS a good thing, I really enjoyed BGs but every time I played I got curb stomped by the other players, it turn't into a freaking joke. I know I was spec'd to Tank but damn I was getting ganked by freaking Warlocks!

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Only took them, what, 5 or 6 years to figure this out? Sigh. I and so many countless others saw the problem resilience would present days after it was implemented...

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Their putting a cap on gear?

Essentially saying "If you've farmed better gear than this, fuck you?" And they're getting rid of Resilience, but not really?

I've got to ask - why? The classes need tweaked and rebalanced more than the PVP system does. The problem with WoW's PVP is its become a series of gimmicks because each expansion they have to find a way to make the classes fresh, new and interesting.

They have this weird thing where Casters are fine because they're untouchable, Plate Wearers are fine because they all have a self heal and take reduced damage, but leather wearers are the easiest things to kill because A. They don't get any range advantages B. They get no buffs to their shields and C. They are reliant on CCing to kill anything. So, if you blow your cooldowns downing one person, the 4 other warriors will want to introduce their face to your skull and theres nothing you can do about it.

The PVP system hasn't really felt right since Cata, and I'm not sure THIS is the way to fix it. They ultimately dug themselves in this whole with the homogenization of classes, roles and specs. The new talent system was a bandage on the two broken femurs of WarCrafts combat.

Seriously. Blizzard. If you're listening to some nobody on a semi-popular non official forum, take my advice. Scrap World of Warcraft. I mean scrap it. Redo the entire game on a modern engine with modern mechanics. Tweak the classes according. Don't be afraid of alienating people - If you make the game to pants-shitting easy, you'll lose the interest of the veteran players. You can make the game accessible AND deep. If you want to fix WoW, you're going to have to do a TON of work to it. Its getting too old and too big for its own good.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Honestly WoW's PvP was a lost battle from the start, there are just too many things to try and balance, especially by this point since we now have 2 extra classes in the mix as well.

I'd say just remove PvP and change all PvP servers to have an endless supply of Level 1 bot 'players' that you can kill.

Sam17

Apr 20, 2010
Very interesting, still not going back though because it's a game aimed at children/babies now.

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
Doesnt change a goddamn thing.. you remove resilience except on gems/chants.. pve'ers arent going to gem/chant their pve gear for pvp so its still gear dependent, just a tiny bit less. You up the damage/healing (pvp power) of pvp gear in pvp so pvp gear is significantly better than pve gear, making it MORE gear dependent. Its just a gear/class dependent cluster fuck which is why "BLIZZARD FIX PVP PLZ" is still the best arena team in the world. Just give everyone the same gear in pvp like gw2 and make pvp about skill and not whos spent the most hours grinding.

edit: removing the ilvl disparity in pvp gear is a step in the right direction though

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
I'm worried this will have a big impact on the sense of progression in PvP. You can't grind yourself from the bottom of the foodchain to the top anymore. Sure you can still get cosmetic rewards and learn how to play better, but you can no longer get "bigger numbers"[footnote]By "numbers" I mean the different attributes and such[/footnote]. And if there's one thing WoW was good at, it was the satisfaction of getting to increase your numbers.