Blizzard President Apologizes for Hateful Blizzcon Video

Mythrignoc

Oct 17, 2009
Ugh...I'm transgender myself and even I don't find this offensive. People need to lighten the fuck up; words alone, -especially- used as nothing more than a joke and far away from hate evoking, cannot hurt people.

Like harmonic said, I too look forward to the day people stop actually giving a shit about negative words and pay more attention to negative ideas and beliefs. You can't harm a gay person with the word ******. You can hang them, beat them, bully them into suicide, all horrifying ideas and actions, but you -CANNOT- hurt a person with a word.

TheUsurper

Mar 30, 2010
Why didn't people make this big a deal about the video three years ago when it first appeared on YouTube?

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Perhaps they need to hire someone to handle sensitivity training. I hear Glenn Beck is available.
I would like to take a second and address something I've noticed in several articles by Mr. Tito. The articles are usually well written, but I'm starting to notice there's little take thats at conservatives in articles that may not necessarily call for them. Anyone else noticing this? I hope I'm not the only one who feels a little bit... odd... seeing articles about gaming with these type of take-that's thrown in.

Now, on topic:

draythefingerless said:
metal band using extreme slur?

SOMEBODY CALL THE WAAAMBULANCE.
This, so very much. Blizzard, shame on you for not having the sense to avoid using this video.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
gallaetha_matt said:
rsvp42 said:
Was it at least funny? Obviously Blizzard is a big company and doesn't have the luxury of being edgy or offensive in that way without significant backlash, but if it was funny, it makes it slightly less terrible.

Of course, now I'm just thinking of this:
Pretty much this. The word ****** isn't strictly a slur for gay people, it can be used in that context but I don't think it applies in Blizzard's case. I don't think they sat down and tried to target gay people with a slur. "How can we really piss off those gay people? I just hate them so much, I just want to moderately offend them all!" And if they did, you think they'd use a better word than ******. They're a multi-million dollar company, they probably have a whole department dedicated to inventing new swear words for them. They've probably got ways of insulting the koreans that you or I will never see.

How I envy them.

(That's a gold farming joke, I don't know any koreans - just thought I needed to point that out.)

It's all about context. Louis C.K put it better than I ever could "I wouldn't call a gay guy a ******, unless he was being a ******."
Louis C.K. and the South Park episode (see speakerphone's post on the second page at the top) on the subject are what I always think of as well.

I never played WoW, but it just seems strange on one hand because having played multiplayer games online before, being called a "******" is tantamount to being called a "doody-head." Harmonic said it well
harmonic said:
Often, straight people are called ******, taking the place of "dude".
as did Mythrignoc above. It's become so common in slang vernacular as a general pejorative that even that quickly became pretty tame. By etymology standards, that generalized insult is pretty much where it began in the first place. And by video game standards, it's pretty much 90% of the vocabulary of prepubescents on Xbox Live.

What is particularly odd is that anyone at Blizzard was ostensibly sober when approving this idea for a video to show. There is pretty much zero appeal in hearing a loudmouth twit ranting over what amounts to his favorite fictional fantasy football team. Hell, at least have a counter point to square things off. From the sound of other news stories on this site, WoW is tapering off a teensy bit, which makes sense to me given how long it has been going. So the last thing I would do to build up my game would be to market against one side using a moron.

The most appalling part is that there even is actual prejudice against players of opposing factors. Not a friendly rivalry, but straight-up anger and discrimination... over a game. Talk about needing to get a grip on reality.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Oh whaa whaa,the word "gay" in today's society isn't exactly use to call someone a homosexual. The video non the less was childish and in that regard I'm glad they apologized.

Jeremy Meadows

Mar 10, 2011
*facepalms* maybe people shouldn't get all pissed off about what people say about their imaginary chacters. If you wanna kill them just go to a pvp server and find them there. If someone called all orc in oblvions fags I'd just say, "well, I have some amazing weapons and armor. Wanna test theory?" Of course I can't since there no mulitplayer in elder scrolls but oh well. You see my point?

ila

Jul 29, 2008
Meh, I'm not surprised the incident happened in the first place. When I went to BlizzCon back in 08, the whole Elite Tauren Chieften performance was just Alliance slandering in the first place.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Seems people need to grow spines and learn not to be offended by jokes. I laughed and I guess part of that is my hatred of elves (especially the eldar from W40K, those space (insert the offending word the band said here) really can all go get torn apart by demons.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I uh, I really need to post this:

Look, I'm not a homosexual, I know plenty of guys who are. What do they do when somebody calls them a ******? Shrug it off, it's nothing, merely a word to them. Yes, there's inequality for them, and I hate that, but it's a word, it's not gonna stab you in the heart and kill you. I'm NOT saying Blizzard is in the right, but it really is just a word in the end.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
The irony is that Blizzard is apologizing for being insensitive to a special interest group as they prepare to roll out a major expansion patch featuring a race of stereotyped Asian panda bears...

klausaidon

Aug 4, 2009
harmonic said:
I look forward to the day when words like "******" have no power. That will only happen when people decide to stop giving it power by being extraordinarily offended by it. Insults are thrown around constantly. Insulting peoples' intelligence, social status, physical looks, you name it, it gets insulted.
I disagree with the idea that words are given power by people being offended by them. Its the whole "If you ignore them, it will go away" myth. It isn't true. If you ignore them, they try harder to get your attention. If some kids are throwing paper balls at the back of your head, ignoring them isn't gonna stop them. They'll just throw bigger and bigger paper balls at you, and eventually start throwing books at you. (Can you tell I'm speaking from personal experience?) To lose its power, it will no longer have to be used to offend the person it is thrown at. Believe it or not, but when someone calls you a ******, chances are they are trying to offend you. So the right response is to be offended. How offended you are, and how you react to the offense is another story, and depends on a number of things.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
harmonic said:
Too much hyperbolae to have a proper conversation here. "Beating them bloody" is just a tad different than calling someone a ******. There's no reason why you said this other than to feel better about yourself by defending imaginary people from an imaginary attack.
Not "hyperbole", a reference to the appeal written by Dennis Farr on Kotaku on this very subject. I suggest you read it. Hopefully, it'll give you some perspective.

eNTi

Sep 8, 2007
political correctness gone rogue. i lol'ed and would have told them to go fuck themselves. stupid little over sensitive faggots.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
harmonic said:
I look forward to the day when words like "******" have no power. That will only happen when people decide to stop giving it power by being extraordinarily offended by it. Insults are thrown around constantly. Insulting peoples' intelligence, social status, physical looks, you name it, it gets insulted.
It has happened already :p...
Faggotti is Bassoon in Finnish... :) Just teasing ya, but it is true fagotti is Bassoon in FInnish.

But yeah, I am also waiting for the day when people stop getting insulted over everything and stop suing about everything. Well this is kind of a issue in America and UK really, but it is spreading to other countries with alarming rate.

I think people shouldn't get insulted by anything if they ever have insulted anyone else. You know... The same thing Christians bable about, Those who haven't committed a sin trow the first rock.. etc... etc...

Yeah... But there is always THE ONE who gets insulted about something and THE ONE who is going to sue a big company because of it... -.- I hate this world...

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Greg Tito said:
Perhaps they need to hire someone to handle sensitivity training. I hear Glenn Beck is available.
Zing!

Maybe they can get Grainger Games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113875-Drunken-Condom-Flicking-Mars-U-K-Games-Awards]. I hear they're good with awards ceremonies.
I chuckled.

And OT: It's a pretty big fuck-up, but at least he was man enough to apologise himself for it.