Blizzard Publishes Overwatch Open Beta Stats

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Blizzard Publishes Overwatch Open Beta Stats

Ahead of Overwatch's May 24 release, Blizzard has released the stats on the game's Open Beta.

a more detailed look [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167431-Overwatch-Open-Beta-Almost-10-Million-Served] at the stats from the open beta, including the most popular heroes, how many minutes were played, and more.

From more than 190 countries, 9.7 million people played nearly 38 million matches, spending a whopping 4.9 billion minutes (over 81 million hours) playing. Widowmaker was the most popular defense character, while Soldier: 76 was the most popular offense hero. Reinhardt and Mercy were the most played tank and support heroes, respectively. On average, heroes were swapped out eight times per match - in total, 271 million times mid-game.

Players, in total, dealt over 1.3 trillion damage, healed over 168 billion times, and earned 87 million loot boxes.

You can check out all of the information in the fun infographic below.

Overwatch releases on PlayStation 4, Windows PC, and Xbox One on May 24.

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1323/1323696.png

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
I'm sure many, many people are gleeful at the number of Bastions destroyed. That hero is practically a salt mine.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
That comes out to about 8 hours per player. That's a bit more than hour per day, per person (counting the full 7-day open beta, for free I think it only last 5). I'd say that's pretty good.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Tortilla the Hun said:
I'm sure many, many people are gleeful at the number of Bastions destroyed. That hero is practically a salt mine.
I was going to say: my favorite part about all that is the fact that they showed the stat for the number of Bastion deaths. :3

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
that is all impressive. some really played a lot wile i only played like for 2 hours, maybe 3 a day when i had no uni stuff to do.
funny to show the death of bastion. this guy was pretty much in every round i have played in. and mostly ended up getting the highest count of kills.

im certainly looking forward to play widow and mercy again. only this time i hope they have fixed the loot boxes. getting items you dont want and need for characters you wont play is not very rewarding. especially if you hardly earn any coin to purchase stuff for your character.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
So an average of about 4 matches per person over the open beta? That doesn't sound good.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Tracer is not one of the most picked? I guess I overestimated the power of waifu.

Justank

Nov 17, 2010
LetalisK said:
So an average of about 4 matches per person over the open beta? That doesn't sound good.
At over 8 hours per person, I think the key word there is completed. Early server instability, people dropping out during a match etc means most people likely played a lot more than 4, but something happened to prevent it from being considered a 'completed' match.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Bob_McMillan said:
Tracer is not one of the most picked? I guess I overestimated the power of waifu.
76's simplicity probably has a lot to do with him being picked a lot (and the fact he is the first one you play as through the tutorial). Hes a very traditional FPS character with his machine gun and tri rockets making him easy to learn and play. Same with Widowmaker and Mercy. Both fall into very easy to understand roles.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
8 hero swaps per match? I didn't see that many, even the few times I dipped my toes in Quickplay. I mostly played bots, and I only saw one or two switches but mostly people just stuck with what they had.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
LetalisK said:
Justank said:
At over 8 hours per person, I think the key word there is completed. Early server instability, people dropping out during a match etc means most people likely played a lot more than 4, but something happened to prevent it from being considered a 'completed' match.
Actually, it's neither. It's just there are 12 people per completed match.
So you have to multiply this number by 12 to see how many matches the average player plays.
So there have been approximately 451,483,284 player matches, because there were 37,623,607 server matches.
Meaning the average player played 46.5 matches.
Multiply that by the average round completion time of 7.5 minutes gives you 3,386,124,630 minutes spent in completed rounds.
Meaning 69% of time was spent in a round that completed.

List

Sep 29, 2013
LetalisK said:
Do note that There will be?/was? a wipe after the beta, so many stopped early.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Zydrate said:
8 hero swaps per match? I didn't see that many, even the few times I dipped my toes in Quickplay. I mostly played bots, and I only saw one or two switches but mostly people just stuck with what they had.
It might sound like a lot, but that still means that on average if all of those swaps were by different people that only 67% of players switched characters once in a match. There were several times when I switched 2-4 times a match, so it's not that surprising really.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Scarim Coral said:
So which characters that got picked the least?
Based on other polls I've seen its probably Symmetra. Which doesn't surprise me given that her role is very situation. Second least played seems to be Zarya.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I would have wanted to know which charecter had the best K:D. Also which charecter was on the most winning teams. Im guessing that over powered archer or the guy with a cattle skull face.