Blizzard: Stop Trying to Copy WoW

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
What about WoW that copied basically every good idea about an MMO in the past... 8 or so years? Hell, they even copied ORvR from DaoC and WAR...

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Kollega said:
Well, they say that now. But what will they say when someone makes even more addictive MMO, and everyone will run there from WoW?

He has a very solid point though - we definetly need more variety in MMO games.
Variety is never rewarded though, EQ and EQ2 are both for the more "hardcore" set, the games actually have penalties for dying beyond the small amounts of cash it takes to repair gear and the raids require more work and larger numbers (if you tried to take out some of the current raid trash mobs the way you do the wow trash you'd end up with a bunch of dead players getting rezzes and eating xp loss, then waiting 30 minutes for another go while you rest, rebuff, rest again and make a new strat.) Both games are barely hanging on now though because people want easy.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
"WoW is like The Beatles, they are the biggest thing in the industry. If you try and copy The Beatles you end up becoming The Monkeys."

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
asinann said:
Kollega said:
Well, they say that now. But what will they say when someone makes even more addictive MMO, and everyone will run there from WoW?

He has a very solid point though - we definetly need more variety in MMO games.
Variety is never rewarded though, EQ and EQ2 are both for the more "hardcore" set, the games actually have penalties for dying beyond the small amounts of cash it takes to repair gear and the raids require more work and larger numbers (if you tried to take out some of the current raid trash mobs the way you do the wow trash you'd end up with a bunch of dead players getting rezzes and eating xp loss, then waiting 30 minutes for another go while you rest, rebuff, rest again and make a new strat.) Both games are barely hanging on now though because people want easy.
I think its "Accessible" they want, not necessarily easy. And being harder is not automatically variety.

Eve online is very different to WoW (ignore what Yahtzee said; lets just say he didn't review it properly) and that'd had a steadily growing customer base for awhile now - ok, its not WoW level popular, but its sustainable, which is more than the WoW clones can say (I'm looking at you Age of Conan).

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
I do agree, copying Wow is a pretty tired idea (marketable though it may be).
That's why I absolutely refuse to try Aion. Doesn't seem to different.

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
Blizzard; you can just ask nicely to have a monopoly, it's basic economics if a firm is making profit, others will move in on that market to gain a share of that profit. So Blizzard shoulf let the economy do it's thing :p

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Yes, stop trying to copy WoW... they might get the formula correct and take customers away >_>

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
The one thing wow did for MMOs is make things simple,easy and fun. But the trouble with simple and fun is is septic to the anti septic nature of a MMO, look at FF11 its so loaded down with restrictions its like work to play the damn thing.

Devs need to to give players the option of easy or hard with mature groups and guilds of adventures(50+ in lvl I suppose) having to deal with higher and higher leveled monster leaders.

Basically allow single players to finish the games story/class by doing the lone wolf thing and then if they want more out of that character they will have to join up with others or be forced to slowly climb up a annoying nearly endless ladder. IE make it harder to play when you are 50 or 100+ as a lone wolf make it a bit easier in groups.

But that's not enough always allow advance players to make trade offs to sell off their old skills and unused or underused finished skill trees to start a skill in a different class to keep things interesting.

I find MMOs to be a drag and severely lack in customization PVP can be easily handled by lvl>victories then if people must do battle numberize stats/skills so they can be handicapped for the duel. For the MMO world itself worry more about keeping things interesting and fun than keeping people playing 24/7 "working" on a Gdamn game....

Take a RPG like FF4 or FF6 Phantasy star 2 or 4 with the fun equipment,skills and such make that into a MMO with minor restrictions alot of story,equipment and things to do lets not make another MMO like FF11 where there are more rules than monster hordes.........

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Abedeus said:
What about WoW that copied basically every good idea about an MMO in the past... 8 or so years? Hell, they even copied ORvR from DaoC and WAR...
I think it's a different thing, but that reflects more how the market has changed than anything with the individual games. When WoW came out you had a bunch of big titles but no single market leader - you had DAoC, EQ, FFXI, etc, and all were FAIRLY close in terms of marketshare. There was no single "Oh, this game is just LIKE this other game, I'll go play the other game instead" because it was more evenly distributed. These days, if a game tries to be like WoW, there's only one game to really compare it to in the public mindset since WoW is such a mammoth.

Is it a bit of a double standard? Of course. But markets change over time.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Should someone have said that to Blizzard about Warhammer, Tolkein, TSR and EQ at some point?
Maybe, but clearly it's worked out for them ;)

Besides, I think it's a bit old hat to complain about any high fantasy product re: Tolkien considering that every high fantasy product is copying him in some way.

b4betty

Aug 10, 2009
its sad that any new mmorpg that will come out in the future will have the sword of Damocles that is WoW hanging over its head. Unless its something like APB which is GTA in mmorpg form, the only thing developers should worry about is making the game work well, fun, accessible, and have lots of virerity (cant spell that word sue me). Iv played WoW for a long time but now Im just gonna pray @ the altar of Bioware so they make The Old Republic as awesome as possible, even though its gonna be WoW with lightsabers and in the future, I dont care I just love the Star Wars universe 100000000 times more then Warcraft.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Big words from the guys who copied from Everquest. But, since they made (and are still making) tons of cash out of WoW, they do have a point.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
LockeDown said:
At any rate, this is one of those instances where I feel compelled to bring up Mythic studios. Had they done the intelligent thing, and modeled their MMO after the 40k universe instead of the classic fantasy one, we may have finally had an engaging sci-fi MMO that was accessible (unlike Anarchy Online) and encouraged you to play it (wtf Eve?). As a matter of fact, the studio may have gotten more subscriptions out of it just from folks like me who are utterly sick of the fantasy motiff in MMOs.

But... well, we all know what happened with WAR.
I totally freaking agree with you. My friends and I played WAR for about 2 months, did multiple toons to the level cap and eventually got bored with it because at the end of the day we wanted to be playing a 40k mmo not another copy and paste fantasy game that set in motion the resurrection of our old WoW addictions.

After we'd stopped playing and found ourselves one day discussing what the game was lacking we came to one conclusion. It was a great game in every aspect we could think of, the only issue is that we felt the Warhammer people would have had something new if only they'd set it in the 40k universe.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Avykins said:
I want a decent MMOFPS. Please let the WH40K one be a squad based shooter.
Planetside is decent, though its population isn't that huge anymore. The servers are still up, there's a...14(?) day free trial and I quite enjoyed it. Dust from CCP (EVE guys) is an MMOFPS too, but that's going to be a while.

If you haven't, definitely give Planetside a spin. I was pleasantly surprised.