Blizzard sues Starcraft II cheat hackers

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
See : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27511932

I wrote a post awhile back about this asking why publishers didn't sue people who make cheats for games because they can utterly ruin a gaming experience and now it seems Activision has decided they should, personally I hope they win this case and it sets a precedent to encourage this for all big multiplayer games because cheats have ruined a lot of games for me.

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
What about using Cheat Engine for singe player games? Sounds a little unfair your opinion is.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Artaneius said:
What about using Cheat Engine for singe player games? Sounds a little unfair your opinion is.
But Starcraft 2 is in it's essence a multyplayer game.
And before you go "But I only play it singleplayer" Fine, then just use the normal official, singleplayer only cheats.
This is for the un-official, gamebreaking multiplayer cheats.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_single_player_cheats

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
only cheat I ever really liked to use was removing the fog of war cheat in the original Starcraft during Online play, but I was such a terrible player anyway it wasn't much of an advantage.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Blizzard has won several court cases where they sued software makers who created cheat programs for World of Warcraft, the famous being MDY Industries who made the Glider software. Originally they had won for Copyright Infringement and DMCA violation. The appeals court overturn the Copyright Infringement, but still found it was a DMCA violation.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
"The publisher says the software undermines online multiplayer battles and could cause players to lose interest in the title."

Well seems legit when they are making the third part of the trilogy to sell and not wanting the game to be a cesspool of hackers and cheaters before it comes out. It can potential cost them money still.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
As long is it's multiplayer i'm all for it. Singleplayer should come with cheats ( but youshould not get achievements while cheating). Exploits are another thing, it's up to the devs to patch or test their games before hand.

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
That is just stupid, if they want to fix the game fix it so the cheats can't be used but to sue is just another example of publishers trying to control gamers.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Anthony Corrigan said:
That is just stupid, if they want to fix the game fix it so the cheats can't be used but to sue is just another example of publishers trying to control gamers.
In this case it really is not.

How are they trying to control gamers? Control the ones who are actively trying to ruin the product for other people? Those gamers?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I wonder if there's a serious chance of them winning this or is it more a PR move, as in "Hey look, we're doing something about them blasted cheaters!"

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
My prediction? This will wind up being the plot for an episode of The Good Wife, just with the names changed :p

IANAL, but does anyone else think Blizzard is reaching just a bit far here? Banning cheating users from playing the game? Sure. Issuing a 'cease and desist' to the makers of the hack? Maybe. But suing the makers for damages... I dunno, just feels like sour grapes to me.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
AD-Stu said:
IANAL, but does anyone else think Blizzard is reaching just a bit far here? Banning cheating users from playing the game? Sure. Issuing a 'cease and desist' to the makers of the hack? Maybe. But suing the makers for damages... I dunno, just feels like sour grapes to me.
Well the lawyers and suing generally come after a "cease and desist" if they don't.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
Ranorak said:
Artaneius said:
But Starcraft 2 is in it's essence a multyplayer game.
And before you go "But I only play it singleplayer" Fine, then just use the normal official, singleplayer only cheats.
This is for the un-official, gamebreaking multiplayer cheats.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_single_player_cheats
I agree with Ranorak if you want to cheat in a single player mode fine but no mutiplayer hacking/cheating

F-ing aim bots and speed hackers...

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
lol suing cheaters instead of good old fashioned patching of vulnerabilities. what will America think of next

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
Vegosiux said:
I wonder if there's a serious chance of them winning this or is it more a PR move, as in "Hey look, we're doing something about them blasted cheaters!"
Blizzard has already won other lawsuits against other hackers. And since these people are getting paid for the hack I think they would very probably win.