Blizzard Teases the Next Overwatch Hero

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Blizzard Teases the Next Overwatch Hero

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1383/1383971.jpg

An interesting new post possibly teases new Overwatch hero.

Yesterday, Blizzard's Jeff Kaplan gave a little tease [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169587-New-Overwatch-Hero-Coming-Maybe-Not-Doomfist#&gid=gallery_6948&pid=1] on Overwatch's next hero - specifically, he said "24 is not who you think it is." For anyone not keeping up with the forums, most people were expecting Doomfist to be the next character released, but Kaplan reiterated that the team typically has multiple heroes in the works at any given time.

Today, Blizzard released what appears to be an in-game article [https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20580087] that features an interview with a young girl from Numbani who has just received a grant for her work "in robotics and artificial intelligence," all of which was achieved by age eleven.

The girl, Efi Oladele, received a "genius grant," and when asked what she planned to do with the money she received, said simply "Oh... I have an idea..." and "it's a secret for now." She does mention building drones and wanting to "create things that make our lives better," adding that her dream is "to build something that can keep us safe."

It's not immediately clear when this interview takes place when compared to the in-game timeline, so it's possible that Efi has aged since the interview, possibly setting the stage for a new builder. It's also possible that one of her creations will be the new character, perhaps a new tank. It seems less likely that Blizzard would include an eleven-year-old character, but we aren't ruling anything out, and there's always the potential for her fighting remotely by controlling something she's created. Either way, I'm sure we'll be hearing more soon enough.

In other Overwatch news, Season 3 of Competitive Play ends tonight [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169599-Season-3-of-Overwatch-Ends-Today#&gid=gallery_6961&pid=1] at 7pm ET, and Season 4 is set to kick off at 7pm ET on February 28.

Ecks

Feb 9, 2017
I hope it's a robot and not another woman, we've had two of them already.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Two things are off about this, she's an 11 year old (which I doubt Blizz would let us gun down) and the fact that she was announced in such a mundane fashion. I think she's related to the next hero but not actually one herself.

Could be wrong though, I mean she could be piloting a drone or something (to similar to D. Va?). If she is a new hero, I'd hope for another builder. Those types are always my favorite.

EDIT: Kinda reiterated the OP. Guess I should read before I post. Haha

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SirSullymore said:
Two things are off about this, she's 11 (which I doubt Blizz would let us gun down) and the fact that she was announced in such a mundane fashion. I think she's related to the next hero but not actually one herself.

Could be wrong though, I mean she could be piloting a drone or something (to similar to D. Va?). If she is a new hero, I'd hope for another builder. Those types are always my favorite.
She does kind of remind me of when a little kid sent in a crayon drawing of a hero and Blizzard made a fully designed concept art of her.

http://cdn2.ubergizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/overwatch-concept-640x640.jpg

They look around the same age, so I can see them designing a kid...on the other hand, the "building something to keep us safe" line makes me think that she might be the creator of the next hero. We only have two robots and one of them is essentially a level 3 sentry with legs, so that'd be nice.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Considering the internet's...ahem..."passion" for R34 regarding this game, I'd have to doubt that Blizzard would add in an 11 year old character.

Other than that: great, that's just what we need: another (potential) turret builder...

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I don't play Overwatch but I do want to see more robot characters... but not a support one though.

RJ 17 said:
Considering the internet's...ahem..."passion" for R34 regarding this game, I'd have to doubt that Blizzard would add in an 11 year old character.
Too late. It exists, therefore the rule applies.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I really hope it's another tank with real shielding abilities (to keep us safe...), Reinhardt and Zarya could use some competition. I'm a fan of what little character design we've seen of her, but something tells me she's not going to be the main hero, or maybe she's controlling or communicating with something remotely.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Aerosteam said:
I don't play Overwatch but I do want to see more robot characters... but not a support one though.

RJ 17 said:
Ecks said:
I'd kinda love a drone character, with perhaps holographic projections/voiceover being provided by Efi remotely for inter character banter, emotes and highlight intros maybe.

EDIT:

Some people have noted that the 'successor' silhouette in the doomfist display is quasi robotic...

Maybe we ARE getting Doomfist, but Efi's Robot Doomfist.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Windknight said:
Aerosteam said:

RJ 17 said:
Ecks said:
I'd kinda love a drone character, with perhaps holographic projections/voiceover being provided by Efi remotely for inter character banter, emotes and highlight intros maybe.

EDIT:

Some people have noted that the 'successor' silhouette in the doomfist display is quasi robotic...

Maybe we ARE getting Doomfist, but Efi's Robot Doomfist.
I like the ideas you have there! Hope that's what they are doing :D

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
There's a rumor flying around the Battle.net forums that she's going to be remote piloting some sort of 4-legged spider bot that plays similar to Rein.

If that's really true, D.Va just lost her claim as my favourite tank.

TakeyB0y2

A Mistake
Jun 24, 2011
Yeah things would be veeeery uncomfortable if you had a child character killing/getting killed.

On the other hand, you got Li Li from Heroes of the Storm who is a child, and she can get gunned, sliced, diced, and, depending on the enemy team set up, beaten to death by her uncle.

Sooooo yeaaaah... No more of that please.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
If it's a remote piloted drone, I hope she talks shit through a speaker.
RJ 17 said:
Too late. Already exists.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I really don't like the face paint. It makes it look like her ability is going to be beating a drum and doing the Africa face.

I'm sure people in super advanced future Africa totally wear tribal body paint. Could Blizzard stereotype any harder?

CCLegion

Apr 23, 2013
I remember a datamined voiceline of D.Va, saying something about a bigger mech, though I can't remember the exact wording. Was found around the time of Sombra's release and I'd be very surprised if it was not related to this.
There was also a leak/rumour about a quadruped robot that occupies a similar role to Reinhardt.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Anyone find it odd that she's (as far as I'm aware) the only character to come from a fictional country? Why not make her Nigerian or something?

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
CCLegion said:
I remember a datamined voiceline of D.Va, saying something about a bigger mech, though I can't remember the exact wording. Was found around the time of Sombra's release and I'd be very surprised if it was not related to this.
There was also a leak/rumour about a quadruped robot that occupies a similar role to Reinhardt.
I believe you get variations on that as D.Va on Volskaya, and an exchange between D.Va and Zarya in reference to the old Russian mechs.

maninahat said:
Anyone find it odd that she's (as far as I'm aware) the only character to come from a fictional country? Why not make her Nigerian or something?
Numbani is a city though.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
maninahat said:
Overwatch lore follows the logical extension of our future: Africa gets recolonized.

zellosoli

Aug 22, 2011
still prefer doomfist but as long as it's not another turret builder, i don't mind...but something tells me this might be a red herring, i'm happy to be wrong though here

my guess, she will feature in the next movie as a supporting character while it introduces doomfist (I'm hoping its the theory that its going to be the kid from the first clip, but meh i can dream)