TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
McElroy said:
maninahat said:
Anyone find it odd that she's (as far as I'm aware) the only character to come from a fictional country? Why not make her Nigerian or something?
Overwatch lore follows the logical extension of our future: Africa gets recolonized.
More like it's been spared a lot of the devastation of the Omni Crisis due to having a lower manufacturing base.

Which, like the US after the world wars, would put African nations in a prime position to capitalize on helping other nations rebuild.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Lemme guess. The new hero will have a shielding ability on a 10 second cooldown that shields their entire team from infinite damage for 5 seconds, no matter where they are on the map, and it tops their health up in the process.
And their ult is just a cod-style tactical nuke that insta-kills the entire enemy team no matter where they are on the map and no matter how much shielding/health they have.

Either that or the new hero will have a feather duster for a weapon, and will fall over and collapse whenever someone so much as sneezes too strongly in their general direction.

It's either one or the other. If Blizzard's track record for new hero game balance is anything to go by, either the new hero will be absolutely overpowered to the point of absurdity, or they will be underpowered to the point of embarrassment. NOTHING in between.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
altnameJag said:
McElroy said:
maninahat said:
Anyone find it odd that she's (as far as I'm aware) the only character to come from a fictional country? Why not make her Nigerian or something?
Overwatch lore follows the logical extension of our future: Africa gets recolonized.
More like it's been spared a lot of the devastation of the Omni Crisis due to having a lower manufacturing base.

Which, like the US after the world wars, would put African nations in a prime position to capitalize on helping other nations rebuild.
That's not exactly what I meant. Overwatch has characters from countries that are presently classed as developing nations (China, India, Brazil etc.), I'm wondering the decision.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Windknight said:
Numbani is a city though.
It has its own flag, and was established after the Omnic Crisis. Far as I can tell, it's a city-state.

altnameJag said:
Think that'll be true 30 years from now? At the least, it is confirmed that Egypt was a battlefield, and like every other country, suffered heavily.

maninahat said:
That's not exactly what I meant. Overwatch has characters from countries that are presently classed as developing nations (China, India, Brazil etc.), I'm wondering the decision.
Considering that Overwatch takes place 60 years into the future, how much of that will still be true is iffy. Flavor lore does imply that Brazil is still a developing nation, while India is relatively well off, even though both were battlefields during the Omnic Crisis.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Hawki said:
altnameJag said:
Think that'll be true 30 years from now? At the least, it is confirmed that Egypt was a battlefield, and like every other country, suffered heavily.
I find if more plausible than "we're going to recolonize Africa", yeah. Not saying they didn't get hit by the Omnic crisis, but it stands to reason that the folks who got hit hardest would be, ironically, the ones with the larger military industrial complexes, due to them having the facilities to build the larger, more complex, and more dangerous omnics. African nations, perhaps unfairly, aren't known for their manufacturing bases or technological prowess. And while geographically Egypt is in Africa, it's generally considered a middle eastern nation.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Lizzy Finnegan said:
The girl, Efi Oladele, received a "genius grant," and when asked what she planned to do with the money she received, said simply "Oh... I have an idea..." and "it's a secret for now."
Lady, that is not how grants work. You don't just take a sack of money from an institute somewhere and say "Oh, I've got some secret ideas for all of this." Universities want to know what their grant money is going to do! So it doesn't go into hookers and blow! For a preteen girl! Kinda wishing I hadn't thought of that now!

THIS IS WHY YOU KEEP TRACK OF GRANT MONEY PEOPLE

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
What is the utility to make a news with each new update or person of a particular game?