Blizzard Warns World of Warcraft Players About "Disker" Trojan Virus

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Blizzard Warns World of Warcraft Players About "Disker" Trojan Virus

Blizzard says that PCs with the "Disker" virus may need to reformat to remove it.

Hoping to tip people off to a potential security threat, Blizzard created a posting on the World of Warcraft forums yesterday warning about a newly discovered Trojan program that has apparently been appearing on users' PCs. "We've been receiving reports regarding a dangerous Trojan that is being used to compromise player's accounts even if they are using an authenticator for protection," said a Blizzard support forum agent. "The Trojan acts in real time to do this by stealing both your account information and the authenticator password at the time you enter them."

If users suspect that their account has been compromised, Blizzard suggests they try and track down the Trojan. "It can be identified by creating an MSInfo file and then looking in the Startup Program section of that file for either 'Disker' or 'Disker64,'" said the company. According to Blizzard, it usually bears the following appearance:

Disker rundll32.exe c:usersnameappdatalocaltempw_win.dll,dw Name-PCName Startup
Disker64 rundll32.exe c:usersnameappdatalocaltempw_64.dll,dw Name-PCName Startup

Little else is apparently known about the Disker virus. According to Blizzard, it hasn't "been able to locate any anti-virus programs that will remove it" and that the only effective method so far seems to be "just reformatting your system." In turn, it's asking its customers to report back about their recent activity if they discover they have the virus.

Source: <a href=http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/11041384892>World of Warcraft

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
An MSInfo file....? Uh...

Can anyone with more knowledge perhaps provide info on this process for the less-techy of us out there?

Mind you I don't play WoW, but still, could be reason to be concerned for other games/programs.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Sure Blizz, wipe EVERYTHING... and then, since it's a big unknown you can easily get it the same way you got it in the first place; epic solution! The only actual solution is for AV makers to update their products to detect and remove this threat, which will be quite soon.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
alj said:
You should not reply on AV to remove stuff good security practices such as not running as bloody admin/root all the time using a secure browser with scripts only enabled on whistled sites and blocking adverts for security reasons.(yes i know it costs content produces and that is a side effect of the reason i block them, it sucks but there is not much i can do). And blizzard still refuses to releice that linux client they had way back when, i don't think a win32 torjan would cause me many problems on that system :p that is inherent more secure to begin with.
Given how windows currently has UAC, I keep thinking someday they are going to have an Admin and then a Super Admin. Except the second they make a super admin every idiot on the planet is going to decide they need to run as Super Admin.

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
Chessrook44 said:

Can anyone with more knowledge perhaps provide info on this process for the less-techy of us out there?

Mind you I don't play WoW, but still, could be reason to be concerned for other games/programs.
Windows 7+: Open the start menu, type "msinfo32" and hit enter, the program should start.

Earlier: Start> Run> "msinfo32.exe"

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
Grandcrusader said:
Morti said:
Chessrook44 said:

Windows 7+: Open the start menu, type "msinfo32" and hit enter, the program should start.

then what I do?
As the original article said: "...looking in the Startup Program section of that file for either 'Disker' or 'Disker64" which is within the software group.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Looks like I don't have it.

Won't stop me from being incredibly paranoid for the next few days though.

Nilanius

Apr 6, 2009
Well me, I just checked mine. Clean as a bell. Course I got 3 antiviruses that aren't norton or mcafee.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Thanks for the heads up, I really appreciate it. I'll check my laptop as soon as I'm home from work.

Great, now I'm worried. Ulp.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
That why I like the Beta Battle.net launcher, you only have to enter your account name and authenticator pretty much the first time you install it. It exactly safer, but your not entering all that information every-time you play WoW.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
My streak of never losing an MMO account or any account period to hacking continues.

Paranoid Web Browsers 4 Lyfe.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Looks like I'm clean, but I don't play WoW, so not a huge worry for me. I do have a D3 account that is rotting in the depths of unplayed games on my shelf, but they wouldn't get much from it. Maybe a few million gold worth of gear, but thats it.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Grandcrusader said:
Morti said:
Chessrook44 said:

then what I do?
When you open msinfo just type "Disker" or "Disker64" into the search bar, hit enter and then wait while it does its thing.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Baldr said:
That why I like the Beta Battle.net launcher, you only have to enter your account name and authenticator pretty much the first time you install it. It exactly safer, but your not entering all that information every-time you play WoW.
Pretty much this. I have been skeptical with the beta launcher until I finally installed it a few months ago. I haven't had the need to use the authenticator since which results in slim chances of getting hacked since it does the auto login everytime I run the game.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
They should have sent an e-mail out. A lot of people avoid the WoW forums like the plague. It's a cesspool of trolls, idiots, and fanboys.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
BoogieManFL said:
They should have sent an e-mail out. A lot of people avoid the WoW forums like the plague. It's a cesspool of trolls, idiots, and fanboys.
Because every MMO fan knows that Blizzard emails are always something to click on. Granted, when they are actually from Blizzard, your're fine, but the number of scams using some form Of Blizzard is astounding...