Blizzard's 2017 Overwatch Plans Include Adding a Server Browser

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Blizzard's 2017 Overwatch Plans Include Adding a Server Browser

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1369/1369241.jpgBlizzard is bringing a server browser, a new map, and maybe even a new hero to Overwatch in 2017.

Blizzard has some big plans for Overwatch in 2017. Game director Jeff Kaplan took to YouTube in the game's latest developer update to give players a little info on what's ahead in the new year.

The first thing that caught my attention was Blizzzard's plan to add a server browser to the game. Of course, there's a caveat - it will only be for custom games. Basically, you'll have the option to make your custom game public. If you do, it will appear in the browser for other players to join. Kaplan said that, "We think we'll have a very solid version 1.0 up and running early in 2017, and we plan to expand on it later in the year."

Also in the works are new maps. Most everyone knows about Oasis, as that map has been on the PTR since November. Kaplan said that the team is planning a "very early 2017 release for Oasis." He also said that there are a number of other maps being worked on that are in various stages of production.

Kaplan also talked a little bit about new heroes. The most recent addition was Sombra, who released in early November. While he didn't give any specifics, Kaplan did say that the team was working on "multiple new heroes," and that one hero was looking "very promising."

You can watch the entire video below, but the short version is that there is still plenty of new content for Overwatch in the works at Blizzard.

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
People are realllllll hyped for a Doomfist voiced by Terry Crews. Even though it hasn't been confirmed in any shape or form. I've already seen how the forums melted down because of a simple story decision on Tracer, I don't want to know what happens when a fan-base gets it's own hype shut-down.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I played a loooot of Overwatch since it came out. However something about the current state of the game has kind of turned me off playing. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
Clive Howlitzer said:
I played a loooot of Overwatch since it came out. However something about the current state of the game has kind of turned me off playing. I can't quite put my finger on it.
Angry players?
Three-tank meta?
Mei?
What was it?

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Borty The Bort said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Angry players?
Three-tank meta?
Mei?
What was it?
I am honestly not sure. I think it could be the tank meta but a lot of it comes down to Ana. She is what makes that possible. I really hate that character.

I also wish ultimates had another nerf to their charge rate. It still feels like every game comes down to ultimates. I always have fun leading up to the point when an engagement has 3 or 4 going off at once. I admit I am not that high of a player, just middle platinum but it irks me how many of them can fly off in a single engagement. I prefer less of them.

But then again, there were just as many ultimates before and I didn't seem to mind it as much back then so who knows!

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Clive Howlitzer said:
Borty The Bort said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Angry players?
Three-tank meta?
Mei?
What was it?
I am honestly not sure. I think it could be the tank meta but a lot of it comes down to Ana. She is what makes that possible. I really hate that character.

I also wish ultimates had another nerf to their charge rate. It still feels like every game comes down to ultimates. I always have fun leading up to the point when an engagement has 3 or 4 going off at once. I admit I am not that high of a player, just middle platinum but it irks me how many of them can fly off in a single engagement. I prefer less of them.

But then again, there were just as many ultimates before and I didn't seem to mind it as much back then so who knows!
talking out of my ass here because I don't play this game, but wouldn't less ults make the ults even more central to gameplay? it would increase the coin flip factor.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
weirdee said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Borty The Bort said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Angry players?
Three-tank meta?
Mei?
What was it?

talking out of my ass here because I don't play this game, but wouldn't less ults make the ults even more central to gameplay? it would increase the coin flip factor.
Nah, because it isn't dealing with some ultimates that are a pain. Its the fact they recharge instantly. So the enemy can use them over and over without care.