Blizzard's Overwatch Won't Have Singleplayer

Dire Trout

Jan 6, 2014
erttheking said:
Is this really a surprise to anyone? Did anyone watch the trailers and gameplay and think anything other than "Multiplayer only"?
I hoped, personally, until I got to the gameplay videos. Like I said elsewhere, it seems like a waste, coming up with a bunch of unique characters and a well-designed world and lore and stuff, only to blow them on a "just run around and shoot people Team Fortress-style" game rather than actually doing anything with them. So yeah, not for me.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
erttheking said:
Is this really a surprise to anyone? Did anyone watch the trailers and gameplay and think anything other than "Multiplayer only"?
Yeah I don't get it either. Or why that might be a bad thing. It was pretty obviously focused just on a multiplayer experience and that's fine with me.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I find it weird people come into articles about multiplayer only games and act like not having singleplayer is the worst thing ever. If a game is designed strictly around the idea of multiplayer, then not having singleplayer is no huge loss. If you don't like playing games with other people, then don't buy the game. It's that simple.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I was kinda already expecting it to have a story outside of the actual game similar to how TF2 does it with comics and short animated clips. Blizzard already does out of game stuff like that with World of Warcraft so it's not like they're any stranger to it.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Phrozenflame500 said:
RealRT said:
No SP, no sale. No MP game ever deserves to bear the full price.
Good thing the game just screams F2P for me, I'd be seriously surprised if they took it in any other direction considering the way the game seems to be designed so far.

I'm pretty sure that most of the "No SP no buys" are coming from people who don't seem to realize that this is basically TF2.5 developed by Blizzard. A SP mode would be incredibly out-of-place.
I do realize that it's a TF2 ripoff. But it's an Activision-published TF2 ripoff.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
I'm honestly okay with this. Nothing about the trailers suggested there was much meat there story-wise. Not every game suits a singleplayer mode just as not every game suits having multiplayer. As long as they don't charge £40 for it (which they won't, let's be honest here), I don't see anything wrong.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
If they wanted to make a TF2-esk game fine, but did Titanfall teach us nothing? Trying to tell a detailed story in a MP only game will only end in tears. Those two things just don't mesh guys, come on now...

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
No hats? Does that mean that updates to Overwatch might have REAL content to add?

If so, count me in!

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
gamegod25 said:
erttheking said:
Yeah I don't get it either. Or why that might be a bad thing. It was pretty obviously focused just on a multiplayer experience and that's fine with me.
I did, because I remember Unreal Tournament 3 was all about the multiplayer, but still had a weak single-player mode to build upon the world and characters. TF2 made videos and comics to flesh out their characters as bit, but it?s not the same as playing through a storyline with cut scenes and dialogue.

And it?s a bad thing because online gamers are often whiny teenagers or raging man-children that scream into their mics when they lose. I?d much prefer bots; bots play just as bad and never speak.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Do people honestly have the decency to ***** about this? Or are they so deprived of ability to come up to logical conclusions? It was clear from the very first trailer that it's MP only.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Do people honestly have the decency to ***** about this? Or are they so deprived of ability to come up to logical conclusions? It was clear from the very first trailer that it's MP only.
It's Blizzard. Overwatch could come with a hundred dollar bills in every box and people would complain that they weren't folded right.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
*sigh* I'll say it again: This could have been Blizzard's 'Borderlands', but disappoints (me) on so many levels. As if we don't have enough arena shooters.

Well, this shows me how much of an old gamer I've become. I'm just not in the focus group anymore. And not playing Multiplayer at all, selecting games based on atmosphere and story, doesn't help either. A shame, as I like the art of 'Overwatch'.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
This was so obviously a multiplayer game from the start. Why is anyone surprised/disappointed?

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Aeshi said:
Adam Jensen said:
It's Blizzard. Overwatch could come with a hundred dollar bills in every box and people would complain that they weren't folded right.
See, its funny because its true.

I remember there was some sort of error at one point in WoW where the daily quests were given out twice within an hour of each other because somethin caused the quest timer to reset way early. No big deal, Blizzard took note of it and said "Whelp, that happened so enjoy your extra quest!"

This literally should have caused no problems at all. A few people got an extra 120g and some extra badge things to buy bonus rolls.

Holy shit you should have seen people flip the hell out. "Its not fair that only some people got to take advantage of this! Everyone should be able to do 2 sets of dailies today!" Tons of rabble rousing, people bein just general dicks. It was a ridiculous response to a very minor bug that barely helped a few people.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
What? Is singleplayer too sexualised for you Blizzard, you dirty sexists! They *always* say their grand multiplayer experience will feature a rich and engaging storyline to compensate for no singleplayer and it almost always falls flat! I think TF2 is the only exception and that's largely because Valve doesn't have anything else to work on (besides Steam, but you know what I mean).

Kahani

May 25, 2011
008Zulu said:
Would it kill Blizzard to make a single player game?
As far as I'm aware, Blizzard have only ever made one game which is not single player - World of Warcraft. Every single other game they have made is perfectly functional as a single player game. Hearthstone is a bit shit if you only play against the AI and it means you'd have to pay for new cards, but it still works and Curse of Naxxramas shows they want to provide for a single player experience. As for Diablo and Starcraft, I've never played either with another person and probably never will. Starcraft 2 in particular obviously has a very heavy single player focus, since that's the only thing they're spending time on for the expansions; multiplayer already has all three races and the additions from expansions are really very minor. So no, it wouldn't kill Blizzard to make a single player game, which is why they keep making them. Overwatch simply isn't one of them.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
because it's Blizzard I'm sure it'll be great and all but I just can't bring myself to care about yet another FPS multiplayer game. There's already too many of them and I got tired of them 5 years ago

just make a movie Blizzard because the story of the little kid and his big brother sounds way more interesting than playing this game

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
This game just makes me miss the old Blizzard more. When the IPs were interesting and MP/Online was optional. I might try this game but I really doubt it'll hold my interest. There are just way too many other games out there to try and look forward to.