Blizzcon - World of Warcraft - Warlords of Draenor

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Diddy_Mao said:
Here's what I don't understand.

For years all I've been hearing is how WoW refuses to "advance the plot" relying too much on the super villains established in the RTS games and not really doing anything new.

Now that they've run out and have had to start developing new concepts and revisiting characters and concepts introduced in WoW. They're "treading water" and "padding the game" because they don't have any villains left.

If there's ever been a prime example of "do what makes sense as a developer because you'll never please all your fans" it's the WoW community at large.

Or, as has become my standard battlecry whenever new content is released and the trade chat butthurt flows freely.

"Everything new ruins everything forever!"
This is the same problem as with pretty much any American-made TV show. They just can't quit churning it out while it's still good, so then they start forcing it and everything becomes all bland and gets flanderized to oblivion and back.

I personally think they should have wrapped it up after Wrath, and gone on with WoW 2 (new game, start at level 1, world is the way the raid on Icecrown left it) later down the line.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
RJ 17 said:
You're welcome to that opinion. I'm not going to try and take that from you.

I'm pretty sure that the Forgotten One is more of an Old God lieutenant. Old Gods have names, and it's referred to as "a" Forgotten One. Usually the minions look similar to their boss in some ways. At least in WoW they have in the past.

By the way, as I've seen it explained, this isn't us going back to the past in a traditional sense. The portal we use goes both ways, so this is more like Draenor-2 than Old Draenor. The reason it's called the Iron Horde is because Mysterious Bad Guy (and Garrosh plays a relatively minor role, I think) wants to base it around machines rather than demon blood. If there's one thing Garrosh got right, it's that he hates demons and everything to do with them.

Also, the boost to level 90 is a one-character per account bonus for buying the expansion. It's mostly aimed at grabbing people who quit earlier in the game's lifespan. I can see the benefit, if I had quit at level 70, of getting to skip the outdated content once to jump into the new material instead of grinding through 20-odd levels mostly alone.

Here's a link to an article about Forgotten Ones. It's where I got my info.

http://wowpedia.org/Forgotten_one

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Compatriot Block said:
RJ 17 said:

I'm pretty sure that the Forgotten One is more of an Old God lieutenant. Old Gods have names, and it's referred to as "a" Forgotten One. Usually the minions look similar to their boss in some ways. At least in WoW they have in the past.

By the way, as I've seen it explained, this isn't us going back to the past in a traditional sense. The portal we use goes both ways, so this is more like Draenor-2 than Old Draenor. The reason it's called the Iron Horde is because Mysterious Bad Guy (and Garrosh plays a relatively minor role, I think) wants to base it around machines rather than demon blood. If there's one thing Garrosh got right, it's that he hates demons and everything to do with them.

Also, the boost to level 90 is a one-character per account bonus for buying the expansion. It's mostly aimed at grabbing people who quit earlier in the game's lifespan. I can see the benefit, if I had quit at level 70, of getting to skip the outdated content once to jump into the new material instead of grinding through 20-odd levels mostly alone.

So now they're introducing alternate realities into this whole mess, is that what you're saying? Good lord, then they've jumped the shark even higher than I thought.

As I mentioned a few responses back, though, I stopped playing at the end of Burning Crusade, so in all honesty I no longer care where they go with the game. I just like pointing out Blizzard's crappy writing because I now hate the company due to what they did with StarCraft II. I've said my piece, and now really can't be bothered to continue this conversation. If you like the game, good for you. Enjoy it as much as you can because you're still paying for it. Personally it just got to the point where I could no longer justify paying the subscription fee for what I saw to be a rather repetitive experience, but don't let my distaste cloud your enjoyment. Because who the hell am I? Just some random jackass on the internet with an opinion, like every other random jackass out there.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Sixcess said:
No mention of a revamp of The Burning Crusade's zones, which I was dreading since I love those areas and hated Cataclysm, so that's good... and slightly surprising given they're revisiting the space goats for the first time since TBC.

Still, I guess the instant 90 makes further 'streamlining' of the levelling experience unecessary. The word boost suggests it'll be a cash shop item, which could be interesting, and even more interesting if other games follow where WoW leads. Not that I'd personally use it.

Other than that *shrug*. Call me when you launch a pre-Cata server, Blizzard.
The old Outland will still be there, it's not like Cataclysm where they change the old zones for good. They are completely making Draenor from scratch. And the lvl 90 boost comes when you buy the expansion, you only get one.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Glad they're updating the old models, but it might be a bit too late for me.
I don't know. I stopped playing wow a while ago. I'd be interested if they made the gameplay a bit more interesting. Everything got a bit too... easy. Not to be all casual-unfriendly, but I felt it went a bit simple.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Shaun Kennedy said:
NO level cap increase
NO new talents
I'm sorry, but wat? The level cap is raised to 100 and there's 3 new talents for every class (mind you they're not too exciting). The no new race and class is a bit sad but we honestly don't need more classes. The game has enough class unbalance as it is.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Compatriot Block said:
RJ 17 said:

So now they're introducing alternate realities into this whole mess, is that what you're saying? Good lord, then they've jumped the shark even higher than I thought.

As I mentioned a few responses back, though, I stopped playing at the end of Burning Crusade, so in all honesty I no longer care where they go with the game. I just like pointing out Blizzard's crappy writing because I now hate the company due to what they did with StarCraft II. I've said my piece, and now really can't be bothered to continue this conversation. If you like the game, good for you. Enjoy it as much as you can because you're still paying for it. Personally it just got to the point where I could no longer justify paying the subscription fee for what I saw to be a rather repetitive experience, but don't let my distaste cloud your enjoyment. Because who the hell am I? Just some random jackass on the internet with an opinion, like every other random jackass out there.
You clearly are not going to consider changing your mind, which is fine. You're not obligated to.

But trying to end the conversation with "I can't be bothered to continue" and getting some free shots in while you bail is pretty lame. If you were so worried about time that now you "can't be bothered," you could have said that without trying to get the last word.
Iceklimber said:
Chris Metzen actually explained it quiet well:

WoW is 19 years old and some of the most Badass Characters& Events were around in Warcraft1&2. Blizzard gives a chance for new players to find out who they were and where it happened, and shows Veteran players how it looked like with new technology.
I didn't have a computer that could play it back then since I was pretty young, so I'm pretty interested in it. Even people who dislike WoW seem to hold those games in high regard.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Compatriot Block said:
But trying to end the conversation with "I can't be bothered to continue" and getting some free shots in while you bail is pretty lame. If you were so worried about time that now you "can't be bothered," you could have said that without trying to get the last word.
Free shots at who/what? Myself? For admitting that I'm just some random jackass on the internet and expressing why I have such distaste for Blizzard so you can understand the basis for why I have such a negative outlook towards pretty much everything they do? I was just letting you know that I was no longer interested in carrying on a conversation about possible villains for WoW to utilize while expressing that I feel that trying to bring alternative realities into the mix is even worse than the whole time-travel bit.

But you are right about one thing: nothing you can say is going to change my mind on this matter, as is the case in the majority of discussions carried out on internet forums.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Danial said:
chozo_hybrid said:
I just want a Warcraft 4... Taking an RTS and making it an MMO and never releasing another of its original genre just hasn't made sense to me :(
Google Heroes of the Storm, its not the WC style RTS, but its at least a return to the area, also, Makes no sense? its the most profitable MMO of all time, what doesn't make sense?
I mean not making another RTS one as well as WoW doesn't make sense to me. I am aware of Heroes of the Storm though, does look fun.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Looking at it, I have mixed feelings.

+ A return to the stylings of TBC.
- Time travel, blizzard is rather inept at making good time travel stories, the infinite dragonflight and CoT instances were rather butchery to the lore, and confusing and nonsensical.
+ It looks like they're back to 10 levels per expansion. Which I think suits better then 5 levels.
- Orcs orcs, and more orcs. I get that the orc clans are key to this time period, but a little variety please?

Did anyone look at the "Gronn with cannon on it's back" and instantly think "Brumak" from Gears of War?

The new character models look pretty good. I especially love the new facial expressions on the gnome female!

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
After doing a bit more research and finding out there will at least be a new level cap I am a bit more at ease. I honestly don't understand what the big problem with this expansion's setting is? I mean seriously people have been crying foul on the "lore" front at least since Cataclysm... and what I don't understand is for those so worried about it being ruined why the hell is "Pandas" not the final straw but "Revisiting WC1 Era's Draenor" is suddenly the final straw? I always enjoyed Warcraft's lore, but like any lore, there's potential for new material to challenge past material, and with time travel plots involved you can retcon anything you like (as a creator you have that right anyway).

I could understand if people were upset about the lack of interesting content or new things outside of questing zones/dungeons, or the low number of dungeons, or really any of the FEATURES of this expansion... but the story? What the hell guys... if you're that concerned about the credence of the "lore" then why cry foul about revisiting an older time period in Draenor's history when Worgen Death Knights are running around riding Baby Onyxias through Pandaland?

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
After reading up on the new features, and having just recently jumped back into WoW after a year and a half hiatus or so, I'm pleasantly surprised, and looking forward to it.

That's really all the can be said, really. I'm not one to speculate, so I'll see how this all plays out.

Again, looking forward to it.