Blockbuster UK Will Not Honor PS4 or Xbox One Preorders

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
J Tyran said:
Icehearted said:
J Tyran said:
Icehearted said:
Preordering is a fool's game anyway.
Pre-ordering like this is a fools game, why anyone would stump up cash ahead of delivery like this I will never know. I pre-ordered mine in August and will get it launch day and I won't have to pay until the day they dispatch it, if it turns out to be a PoS I can have 14 days to send it back and get a refund too. I get to review it myself, don't have to pay upfront and won't even have to leave the house.
If you've got the money and need or want it ASAP, more power to ya! Even better if you've got a saucy return slip you can use, or flip it elsewhere as people do. I and most of the folks I know can't afford to be Day 1 enthusiasts, I didn't even have a PlayStation 3 until just over two years ago, and that was a sale that brought it down to $200, no tax.

I'm the kind of guy where even if I could afford to I probably wouldn't buy a rainbow array of Ferrari's, one for each day of the week. If you can and do, who am I to judge?
The PS4 isn't that expensive at £350, its cheaper as a stopgap measure than upgrading my PC for the moment. I can play the next gen games still and then upgrade my PC early next year, I will want one eventually anyway so might as well get one at launch. The PS4 new isn't much more expensive in the US than the $200 you paid for a PS3, its pretty good value and not an extravagant splurge.
I disagree, since the console I bought was a revised model that was proven to work so no RRoD or YLoD to worry about, and there was already a massive library of games I could get in to, most of which cost $15 or less new. Online was free, and it's my only Blu-Ray player and the only console I can connect to my HDTV via HDMI and really enjoy true digital HD, my Xbox 360 couldn't even do that. It's not like there's a rich library that takes full advantage of the system out there either. In fact games that can really make this system look miles ahead of last generation are typically never in the first wave of releases. Last time there were just the same games, ports really, with added effects like bloom and slightly better textures. This further invalidates the "need" to upgrade right away, not to mention that this consoles' release doesn't mean companies will cease making games for last generation units. I remember a lot of people getting the PlayStation 3 in anticipation for The Last Guardian, which as we saw didn't exactly work out.

My point is that the leap for me was a bigger one than you are suggesting for the leap to the PlayStation 4 at launch. It was also a much better monetary decision because I could get everything for it inexpensively. My thoughts are there will be sales and deal that would make getting a launch system even better without preordering, and again who knows if these things aren't going to just start failing for some reason, leading to the inevitable revisions. Retail bundles are also very likely once the enthusiast rush is over and releasing a little as possible for the highest possible price will no longer generate the sales numbers Sony is looking to achieve.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Icehearted said:
J Tyran said:
Icehearted said:
J Tyran said:
Icehearted said:
Preordering is a fool's game anyway.
Pre-ordering like this is a fools game, why anyone would stump up cash ahead of delivery like this I will never know. I pre-ordered mine in August and will get it launch day and I won't have to pay until the day they dispatch it, if it turns out to be a PoS I can have 14 days to send it back and get a refund too. I get to review it myself, don't have to pay upfront and won't even have to leave the house.
If you've got the money and need or want it ASAP, more power to ya! Even better if you've got a saucy return slip you can use, or flip it elsewhere as people do. I and most of the folks I know can't afford to be Day 1 enthusiasts, I didn't even have a PlayStation 3 until just over two years ago, and that was a sale that brought it down to $200, no tax.

I'm the kind of guy where even if I could afford to I probably wouldn't buy a rainbow array of Ferrari's, one for each day of the week. If you can and do, who am I to judge?
The PS4 isn't that expensive at £350, its cheaper as a stopgap measure than upgrading my PC for the moment. I can play the next gen games still and then upgrade my PC early next year, I will want one eventually anyway so might as well get one at launch. The PS4 new isn't much more expensive in the US than the $200 you paid for a PS3, its pretty good value and not an extravagant splurge.
I disagree, since the console I bought was a revised model that was proven to work so no RRoD or YLoD to worry about, and there was already a massive library of games I could get in to, most of which cost $15 or less new. Online was free, and it's my only Blu-Ray player and the only console I can connect to my HDTV via HDMI and really enjoy true digital HD, my Xbox 360 couldn't even do that. It's not like there's a rich library that takes full advantage of the system out there either. In fact games that can really make this system look miles ahead of last generation are typically never in the first wave of releases. Last time there were just the same games, ports really, with added effects like bloom and slightly better textures. This further invalidates the "need" to upgrade right away, not to mention that this consoles' release doesn't mean companies will cease making games for last generation units. I remember a lot of people getting the PlayStation 3 in anticipation for The Last Guardian, which as we saw didn't exactly work out.

My point is that the leap for me was a bigger one than you are suggesting for the leap to the PlayStation 4 at launch. It was also a much better monetary decision because I could get everything for it inexpensively. My thoughts are there will be sales and deal that would make getting a launch system even better without preordering, and again who knows if these things aren't going to just start failing for some reason, leading to the inevitable revisions. Retail bundles are also very likely once the enthusiast rush is over and releasing a little as possible for the highest possible price will no longer generate the sales numbers Sony is looking to achieve.
Certain people might see it as bad value, students, people living with parents, burger flippers and so on but in reality its not that much at all. £350 is only 1/4th the cost of keeping a home heated and lit for a year after all, or about the same as having broadband in the first place.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
SkarKrow said:
This company still exists in my country?

I'm surprised.
The fact that Blockbuster still exists at all surprises me! If I knew you people had them I would have tried moving over there. I would have failed but I still would have tried[sub]...that was my all-time favorite work-place...[/sub]
You should have asked for a transfer :D that would be the easiest way in.

How was it working there?
More or less like the movie Clerks only less four-letter cursing. The work was really low impact: gather movies from the box, sort them, shelve them. The most tedious parts had to be inventory (which seemed to have been a monthly thing) and, signing people up for cards (because paper-work). Some of the best times though were weekend-nights and, nights/days during or, after a really bad storm: Nobody would really be able to come in (with kids anyway) and my manager was really relaxed about what movies we played on the display TV. I really miss working there...granted I probably wouldn't be making the kind of money that I need in order to...well, live.

Aug 31, 2011
Icehearted said:
(snip)
In fact games that can really make this system look miles ahead of last generation are typically never in the first wave of releases. Last time there were just the same games, ports really, with added effects like bloom and slightly better textures. This further invalidates the "need" to upgrade right away, not to mention that this consoles' release doesn't mean companies will cease making games for last generation units. I remember a lot of people getting the PlayStation 3 in anticipation for The Last Guardian, which as we saw didn't exactly work out.

You're not incorrect when it comes to the games. The games are likely to look very similar on the PS4 as they currently do on the PS3. There will, however, be a difference when it comes to the OS. It's why I intend to be a much earlier adopter than I was last time.

The PS3's OS was never great to begin with, but now it is awful. Maybe I just have less patience, but I barely bother checking messages while in a game simply because it take 1-2 minutes just to load the menu, nevermind navigating to the message and opening it. The Playstation Store is even worse. Sometimes it doesn't work at all, it is constantly slow, both to load up and navigate. The most recently released games seem to have longer load times than older games, and the more patches get released to the games, the longer it takes to actually play the thing.

Instant On as a console function will be glorious (when they finally release it). Essentially, buying a PS3 now is like buying an old PC with a single core and not much RAM. Sure, that PC might have a powerful video card, but it'll be annoying to use otherwise.

...I say this as a die-hard Sony fan, with loads of love for both the PS3 and Playstation Plus.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Icehearted said:
Preordering is a fool's game anyway. Wait for reviews, see what the public says, maybe get a deal a little while later. It only technically makes sense when supporting an indie or a small project, in this case it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

More than that I'm surprised to see Blockbuster. I really thought they were already gone by now.
While I wouldn't say pre-ordering is for fools, I also agree to wait until after the consoles have launched. I knew too many people that bought 360's within the first year of its launch that ended up with fucked game discs, brunt out consoles, etc, long before Microsoft introduced the three year warranty.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
SkarKrow said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
SkarKrow said:
This company still exists in my country?

I'm surprised.
The fact that Blockbuster still exists at all surprises me! If I knew you people had them I would have tried moving over there. I would have failed but I still would have tried[sub]...that was my all-time favorite work-place...[/sub]
You should have asked for a transfer :D that would be the easiest way in.

How was it working there?
More or less like the movie Clerks only less four-letter cursing. The work was really low impact: gather movies from the box, sort them, shelve them. The most tedious parts had to be inventory (which seemed to have been a monthly thing) and, signing people up for cards (because paper-work). Some of the best times though were weekend-nights and, nights/days during or, after a really bad storm: Nobody would really be able to come in (with kids anyway) and my manager was really relaxed about what movies we played on the display TV. I really miss working there...granted I probably wouldn't be making the kind of money that I need in order to...well, live.
Ah sounds like a good job, to be honest even if you werre in this country you wouldn't make enough to live though :p Low avergae wage rates and such.

Rossco64

Apr 14, 2009
For six years now I've been considering applying for a job at Blockbusters, but every time I think "they'll be out of businesses in about a month, why bother?" and yet here they are, six years later, chugging away.