Blood Draining Game Peripheral Needs $250K From Kickstarter

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Blood Draining Game Peripheral Needs $250K From Kickstarter

The Blood Sport gaming device uses the rumble feature in a console's controller to activate a player-draining blood bank machine.

One of the biggest challenges that video game makers frequently face is finding new ways to up the ante when it comes to immersion. For some, the most recently promising solution to this issue are virtual reality devices like the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/oculus%20rift>Oculus Rift. Others, however, are thinking less about gamers' eyes and more about their veins. After all, what could possibly be more visceral and immersive than a game that sucks out your blood when you get hurt?

That, at least, is the driving concept behind the recently launched Kickstarter for Blood Sport. Created by the Toronto-based duo of Taran Chadha and Jamie Umpherson, the device is designed to take "the consequences of the gaming world and [have] them affect you in real life." It works by plugging wires into the rumble function of a console's controller. When something in a game, getting shot for instance, triggers a rumble, Blood Sport sends a signal to a modified blood bank machine which then sucks a bit of blood from the person it's hooked up to."All we're doing is re-routing the same electrical signal and using it to turn on the blood collection system," said the team's Kickstarter page.

To keep Blood Sport from draining dangerous amounts of blood, users must input data about their height, weight and age to make sure "Blood Sport powers down before you do." The device will also be monitored by "a certified professional" during use and has apparently been tested by "medical professionals" to insure that it's safe. If Blood Sport reaches its $250,000 goal, Chadha and Umpherson intend to produce "a proper two-player unit" that they can use to launch a "nationwide Blood Sport tour." The goal of the tour would be to help raise awareness among gamers about the importance of blood donation. They aim to start the tour on March 17th in Toronto but have affirmed that delays might be necessary.

[gallery=3550]

Now, obviously, blood donation is important and efforts to spread awareness about it are to be applauded. That said, I'm going to go ahead and say that you couldn't pay me enough to try out a Blood Sport machine. Blood, essential as it is to life, grosses me out like nothing else and while that might make me something a coward, I'm confident that I'm not the only one who feels that way. What do you think? Is Blood Sport a good idea and something you'd like to try, or does the mere thought of blood draining gameplay turn your stomach?

Source: Kickstarter

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
Well, this sounds stupid.

If you want to donate blood while gaming, I'm sure the blood bank will let you bring your Vita in and donate. Other than that, this looks like a very dangerous game, so to speak. They're talking about 'a certified professional' during use, but I guarantee someone is stupid enough to get one of these, take it home, and play COD for hours, killing himself.

Aug 31, 2012
BigTuk said:
Immersion? They call this immersion? WHo comes up with this kind of crap? Seriously.. I mean what are you supposed to do with all the blood afterwards? What next a peripheral that kicks you in the balls?

I'm sorry but someone needs to remind this guy what fun is.

Also there's the whole matter of how sanitary the thing is., I mean if it's drawing blood then something piercing the skin in which case this will have pottentially health altering concerns... Seriously who thought this was a good idea? who? He needs a Boot to the head (and one for Jenny and the Wimp)
If you read the kickstarter, this is basically just a gimmick to advertise blood donation amongst gamers.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I assume there's lines to show when two people have given the same amount, otherwise it'd give big people an advantage. I think I'd actually try this, sounds like an awesome way to connect with the game.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
The only game I play while donating blood is "squeeze the squishy thing". Which is not as dirty as it may sound.
They usually give you a squishy thing to form a fist around and pump every now and then. It helps keep the blood flowing thanks to muscle compressions in your arm.
Heh, a few times my buddies and I actually did make a bit of a race out of who could fill their blood bag first, so maybe I'm in the target demographic after all.

Aerotrain

Sep 7, 2014
I genuinely thought this was a parody on gimmicky gaming devices when I saw that video you got up there, showing you an extreme version of the additional bells and whistles that console companies devise and that in the end make gaming more cumbersome than just simply pushing buttons.

Reading further into it, it seems to be just an alternative method of donating blood that would be supervised by medical professionals and go on tours attracting gamers to blood donation drives. That doesn't sound too bad, it's a noble goal. It's still quite patently "not for me" since even the usual way makes me instantly livid and drowsy, I can't even imagine trying to keep a conversation let alone focus enough to play a videogame.

!!!EDIT: If you're thinking of supporting this campaign maybe try to get in contact with the promoters first to get more information and proof of their claims. If this sort of thing isn't medically approved they won't ever be able to actually use the blood they collect to save people (although I guess it could help some vampires down on their luck).

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Why the hell would any-

Oh. Oh! It's an alternative way of being a blood donor.

I guess it's kind of cool, unless you're really good at a game, in which case you donate little >.>

But yeah, neat idea I suppose.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
This seems more like a parody or a sketch rather than a product.

Straight up - you're an idiot if you think this is a good idea.

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
Eh, If they brought such a machine by, and had proper donor setups prepared then sure, I'd partake. Definitely a gimmick, and certainly not a 250k gimmick. The big issue I'd have is waiting to see if the Canadian blood bank joins in. They need to approve and screen the machine to make sure its safe, else they'd just throw the blood away and waste the whole effort. I feel they would have a much more successful kickstarter if they went in WITH the blood bank on their side. Could probably even drop the price, get the bank to push some of the cash, and just raise enough to prove interest.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
What kind of masochists thought this up? If you want to raise awareness of any charity, the best way is to fund informative PSAs on how important the public's donations are, not waste some of that money on pain machines. If the blood is donated I guess it wouldn't be as bad, but I'm assuming this method would take longer to get a full sample, compared to the traditional method.

Why not use the shocker machine from one of the James Bond movies? (I think is was a Roger Moore one, but it could be a newer title. What were they playing anyway? Virtual air hockey? Two player Asteroids?) Or better yet, up the ante on those vests that give a quick push on your torso when your character is shot, punched. kicked, haduokened, etc. I would think the blood machine, being a medical tool, is a super expensive device.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Brian Tams said:
Guys, relax. Its just an elaborate way to get gamers to donate blood.
This still seems odd that it's this elaborate. Eh, I do my part since I'm O- for my bloodtype, so everyone wants my blood. :3
Was difficult when I was born though, since my mom is Type AB.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
BigTuk said:
Immersion? They call this immersion? WHo comes up with this kind of crap? Seriously.. I mean what are you supposed to do with all the blood afterwards? What next a peripheral that kicks you in the balls?
Funny you should bring that up. I seem to recall a Genesis peripheral I saw a commercial years ago- I think it was called the 'interactor' or something like that- that was essentially a weird form of force feedback (now THERE's a technology that needs a resurrection!): it was a vest that (supposedly) transferred the impact your character in a game felt to you. The kid's reactions were (natch) all of the typical 90's 'hey, wow!' variety; even at the time, I couldn't help but think of some innocent playing Mortal Kombat and finding themselves on the receiving end of a Johnny Cage Split Punch. Of course, a vest wouldn't convey that, but if it had caught on...

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Sounds like a stupid idea. I wouldn't be surprised if this massively increases stress on the donor's body, leading to much worse fatigue and increased numbers of people complaining about dizziness.

Why can't people (mainly Americans) just donate more blood? It really is quite harmless and unproblematic.
Europe is even selling you blood (that people over here donated for basically free! You normally get a snack after it, sometimes a small item but I think both the snacks and items are donated as well, I got a cereal bowl once for example). http://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/05/us/europe-supplying-blood-for-the-us.html

One can just hope it gets better as your healthcare system improves. Blood donations help people and are generally seen as a simple and respectable way to support the well-being of everyone. Don't understand it as me wagging my finger but really: Just go donate blood once a year or so. Especially if you're young your body can handle it easily.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Quite frankly, I am a blood donor... And I still think this idea is off its rocker.

Let me know when you have a game controller that distributes cookies and juice, though.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
This sounds like a good way to make blood donation take a lot longer than it needs to be.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Does the blood get donated afterwards? Or does it just get discarded?

Oh, okay. After watching the video it seems it does get collected. This doesn't seem like such a stupid idea then, but if i were to donate i would rather just head down to the clinic.