Blood Draining Game Peripheral Needs $250K From Kickstarter

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
Whatever you do, don't hook this up to the new Killer Instinct. 200-hit Ultra Combo means somebody gunna die.
On the other hand, it does mean that they won't be needing the rest of their precious blood...

To me this idea seems a little gimmicky. Why not just set up a games console in the room to distract the donors while they are giving blood (Unless some centres already do this). But then, novelty might get people who would never thought of donating to actually do so. So if they succeed in that regard at least, I'll be happy. I just wonder how safe the whole thing is, especially a first version.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I'd be okay with electrodes making me feel actual pain, but other than getting stuck by the needle, there's not much feeling involved in losing blood. Hell, I feel better after donating a pint.

Aitamen

Dec 6, 2011
Assuming it is, as it's stated, overseen by a medical professional and done in an arena (competitive gaming) that would support it, I think it's glorious... *way* better than all the "drink if you lose" types out there, certainly...

This isn't designed for at-home use or whatever... I'm not sure why people are hating on it.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Neat idea to spread awareness for donations, I just wish that they could have come up with a cooler (less stupid) product to actually push while doing so.

ctSasquatch

Jan 8, 2013
Neronium said:
This still seems odd that it's this elaborate. Eh, I do my part since I'm O- for my bloodtype, so everyone wants my blood. :3
Was difficult when I was born though, since my mom is Type AB.
Maybe I've been out of school too long, but how is that physically possible? If you inherit one letter from each parent, you would get your mom's A or B and one of whatever your dad is, right? Even assuming your dad is oo (Type O) for simplicity's sake, wouldn't you end up as Ao (A type) if your mom passed her A, or Bo (B type) if she passed her B?
Like, my dad is BB-- and my mom is oo+-, and I end up Bo- (B negative). That must be really rare how your birth went.

On topic, I'd rather keep the peanut butter out of my chocolate in this case. I like gaming, and I've donated blood, but I don't want to combine them. Maybe if there were a tournament where the entry fee was a donation first, to get it out of the way, but never WHILE i'm playing. Too distracting.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
what, why, how? thats not how any of this work. donating blood like that wont work because you would need to properly store the blood and perform tests before plugging yourself in, so you have to be at the blood bank anyway. and no they dont trust your medical history here.

That being said, when i go to donate blood (i do once every 6 months or so) i already take my phone with me to spend the time. though its usually over quickly because since im one of those that donate for free (you can get paid, or give it for free. giving it for free 20 times means you are marked as donator and when your retired you may have some bonuses such as less taxes ect, but im not really doing it for that) and thus get in without waiting in a line. the donation itself is <5minutes so not really a problem to sit around for 5 minutes. the worst part of donating blood is the horrible TV shows they are playing in the room to "entertain" donators.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
This seriously sounds like something Jigsaw thought up. "I want to play a game. The console set before you has in its case the key to your release. But first you must survive the game within it. For each hit you take in the game, the machine will extract its due measure. If you survive the game, freedom is yours. If not, every ounce of your vitality will be drained into the bloodbags to your left. The game is Dark Souls. Good luck."

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
If something like this came to my mall with supervising medical professionals and a guarantee that the blood goes to a blood bank then I might give it a try. Still weirds the hell out of me. XD

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
A certified professional is extremely expensive to have on hand all the time.
And I don't think ANYONE would be enticed after seeing that huge ass needle.

And IMMERSION? Lollllllllll!
If you take enough blood for it to affect the player for real the effects would last for an extremely long time (like, 4 days), in which they could no longer safely do stuff in their daily lives, except laying in bed 24/7.

The MadCatz controller that dispensed electrical shocks when you got hit was a wayyy better idea than this!

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
I don't know which part of this idiotic kickstarter feels like its jerking my chain more. That they have the stones to ask for half a million dollars or that the goal of all this money raising and their 'game' is just to raise awareness about donating blood among gamers. Sounds like a grade A scam to me.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
You know somethin'?
I think this is kind of cool.
I'd give it a shot, not very comfortably but still.
I will NOT play Alien: Isolation with it though.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
Because this totally wouldn't be pulled by the authorities the day they release it. For which they should be happy because they're just asking for someone to intentionally hurt himself to sue them for an easy win.

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
I'm a regular blood donor and think this is the most ridiculous idea that I've ever seen on kickstarter. Yes, it's worse than the potato salad.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
You call THIS as a "ultimate immersion"? It is shallow attempt to simulate realism within games.

I propose a gaming machine addon hardware that will subjugate DEATH to the player with varying degree of speed and pain.

Any backers will receive the "Hardcore gamer" title, and permission to spam "YOLO" everywhere, whenever.

P.S - still, nice method for blood donation. But I don't think that red cross will accept the blood from any source. They could be, you know, infected or something.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
I feel this would need re-tweaking since firing in videogames also rumbles. So it's basically shoot or be shot that makes your controller rumble.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
ctSasquatch said:
Neronium said:
This still seems odd that it's this elaborate. Eh, I do my part since I'm O- for my bloodtype, so everyone wants my blood. :3
Was difficult when I was born though, since my mom is Type AB.
Maybe I've been out of school too long, but how is that physically possible? If you inherit one letter from each parent, you would get your mom's A or B and one of whatever your dad is, right? Even assuming your dad is oo (Type O) for simplicity's sake, wouldn't you end up as Ao (A type) if your mom passed her A, or Bo (B type) if she passed her B?
Like, my dad is BB-- and my mom is oo+-, and I end up Bo- (B negative). That must be really rare how your birth went.
You're right, that isn't really possible. The closest constellation I could think of is their mother having, say, A and their father B, but actually having A0 and B0 respectively. The chance of the child being 0 then would be 25%, which is pretty likely all things considered. Now, there are plenty of non-Mendelian forms of inheritance, but I'm pretty sure the AB-groups are not among the traits that follow those. These groups are one of the most commonly used examples in fact.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
It takes what, 5-10 mins to donate blood when they start to extract it? People are so fucking impatient these days.