Blood Pressure

omgeveryone9

Jan 25, 2013
My friend told me that having a blood pressure of 150/90 is considered as being a "man". Is there a problem with that, or am I just too worried about his health. FYI I had a blood pressure of 125/85 before.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Also, depends on body type, I believe. So yeah, go see a doctor. If you ask the Internet you end up with usually one of two answers - it's AIDS or it's Lupus. Or both. Doctors know more than these two things, though, or so I'm told, and are better at actually understanding what is going on - as far as I know, they don't even guess randomly as much. Might be worth giving them a shot.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Such pressure is while not dangerous outright if sustained can lead to pressure related complications. This naturally occurs at older age too, but regardless whether its age related or not its a illness and your friend is sick. this needs to be meditated because otherwise on average this shortens your life around 10 years (assuming no serious complication). It is emtirely possible that this is caused by stress and your friend needs to relax and live slower (depends on situation, you dont tell us much about your friend), but it is possible this is an illness that cannot be cured by simply understanding the causes.
How do i know this? i have this illness.

DoPo said:
Also, depends on body type, I believe. So yeah, go see a doctor. If you ask the Internet you end up with usually one of two answers - it's AIDS or it's Lupus. Or both.
You forgot "too much/too litte fapping"

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Depends on your age and other conditions, like weight and regular sports or actually when and how you measure it as well. For example there's an effect called <url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_coat_hypertension>white coat hypertension, which means you tend to have higher pressure and pulse in a clinical setting than if you did it at home. In the morning you also tend to be lower due to the long sleeping phase. And then there's those awful wrist-cuffs (which I personally hate with a passion) that tend to not be used right - wrist on heart level, if you hold it too low or too high you'll screw the whole thing over and make yourself nervous all the time.
125/85 is probably every doctor's dream, 110-130/65-85 is what is considered normal by the American Heart Association, while 150 is slightly hypertensic but not necessarily worrying either.

I once had a guy with 240 systolic pressure and he was fine, said he had been like that all his life. In theory, constant measurements outside of 80-180 systolic you can start worrying about renal problems, at around 110-160 and if you're healthy altogether and under pension age I wouldn't think too much.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
My blood pressure is generally on the low side of normal, 110ish/70ish. My boyfriend is on medication for high blood pressure.

My grandma's blood pressure is insane, something like 150-60/100+ with medication. She's had some incidents where her blood pressure spiked up and she started getting really bad headaches.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Last I measured I had 110/59 and with a 64 pulse (age 29) and the before that it was 124/73 (age 25) and at 16 it was 104/43.
I was in horribly shape at 25 :(

Edit: young men often have very low blood pressure, one of the reason why some survived in during WW1 when thoroughly maimed because they didn't bleed out.

omgeveryone9

Jan 25, 2013
DoPo said:
Also, depends on body type, I believe. So yeah, go see a doctor. If you ask the Internet you end up with usually one of two answers - it's AIDS or it's Lupus. Or both. Doctors know more than these two things, though, or so I'm told, and are better at actually understanding what is going on - as far as I know, they don't even guess randomly as much. Might be worth giving them a shot.
I guess he goes to the doctor every now and then, but the main point is how absurd his statement is (im my standard)
Strazdas said:
Such pressure is while not dangerous outright if sustained can lead to pressure related complications. This naturally occurs at older age too, but regardless whether its age related or not its a illness and your friend is sick. this needs to be meditated because otherwise on average this shortens your life around 10 years (assuming no serious complication). It is emtirely possible that this is caused by stress and your friend needs to relax and live slower (depends on situation, you dont tell us much about your friend), but it is possible this is an illness that cannot be cured by simply understanding the causes.
How do i know this? i have this illness.

DoPo said:
Also, depends on body type, I believe. So yeah, go see a doctor. If you ask the Internet you end up with usually one of two answers - it's AIDS or it's Lupus. Or both.
You forgot "too much/too litte fapping"
Yeah, to be more specific my friend if 15, slightly below average height, sleeps usually 3-5 hours a day, and he studies 5 hours a day is a stressful person.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
omgeveryone9 said:
My friend told me that having a blood pressure of 150/90 is considered as being a "man".
Uh... wut?! How is your blood pressure an indicator of 'manliness'... does he go around with a sphygmomanometer and then shout: nope your systolic's under 140, your man card please! ... ¬_¬

Besides, athletes typically have average or low blood pressures so that when they exercise, their blood vessels can handle the sudden spike. Or something...

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I had really high blood pressure during a check up once as well. Got a worried "that's a bit too much, even though you're so tall" and then nothing more. Guess it wasn't worth looking at further.
Don't know if it's true taller people have higher blood pressure or not. Seems locical, though it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Really didn't trust that doctor since she thought my left lung was busted because I had chest pains while breathing(turned out my muscles were torn when I went to a proper doctor)... but if so that might have something to do with it.
I'm 194 cm tall for the record.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Slap him and call him stupid.

Being unhealthy isn't "manly" but rather pathetic when it can be helped.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
I'm unsure of the actual numbers but when I went to A&E because of a suspected heart attack (which is to say, I thought I was having a heart attack - turns out it might've just been an anxiety attack) I was told my blood pressure was on the high end of normal.

For an overweight man who doesn't take particularly good care of himself and of a family from which both sides have histories of heart problems... I think that's the best possible outcome.

TL;DR high blood pressure isn't necessarily a death sentence.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
omgeveryone9 said:
My friend told me that having a blood pressure of 150/90 is considered as being a "man". Is there a problem with that, or am I just too worried about his health. FYI I had a blood pressure of 125/85 before.
Oh wow. Does he also think that having a resting heart rate of 100bpm is awesome? (It's not)

It's unhealthy. He won't drop dead right now, but any personal trainer worth their salt will make him see a doctor before they work with him.

Source: Studying PE at uni, do Sport Science units, learned how to measure blood pressure, Heart Rate, Blood Lactate, Haemoglobin levels etc.

My BP is 110/60. I'm not that healthy (in my opinion), in fact, because I've been congested recently, I've been taking asprin, it'd be even lower than that now. (Haven't tested it/had it tested in about 3 weeks).

120/80 is considered normal.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
omgeveryone9 said:
Yeah, to be more specific my friend if 15, slightly below average height, sleeps usually 3-5 hours a day, and he studies 5 hours a day is a stressful person.
15 years old with a blood pressure at 150, yeah, that is bad. I'm not sure how bad it is, but I think I recall mine reaching 140 during a 30 minute stress test. It's just going to get higher as he ages so there's a reason to start considering his future.

SckizoBoy said:
omgeveryone9 said:
My friend told me that having a blood pressure of 150/90 is considered as being a "man".
Uh... wut?! How is your blood pressure an indicator of 'manliness'... does he go around with a sphygmomanometer and then shout: nope your systolic's under 140, your man card please! ... ¬_¬

Besides, athletes typically have average or low blood pressures so that when they exercise, their blood vessels can handle the sudden spike. Or something...
Actually the rising pulse will cause an increased blood pressure in the aorta, but not as high as one would assume since when you work out your blood vessels will dilate and decrease the resistance the blood is meeting in the peripheral arteries which will reduce the diastolic blood pressure which will counter the rise of the systolic blood pressure.

Edit: I should mention that I have studied a little physiology, not enough to actually give advice you should trust though. I am not a doctor.

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
I'm sure it's been posted before but ideal blood pressure is 120/80, It's more important for your Diastolic (second number) to be as close to 80 as possible so having 90 isn't too bad. But having 150 for Systolic pressure is very high, anything over ~135 is too high to be healthy.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I'm up in the "slightly elevated" range as well, a result of chronic pain stemming from injuries received in the army. It's not a horrible, unsustainable place to be, though obviously it would be better to be in the region of textbook 120/80. Mind you, there's nothing particularly "manly" about high blood pressure, especially if it's from cholesterol (which is just a stupid way to die, in my opinion). *edit* Jesus H. Christ, he's fifteen?! Get that kid to a doctor!

If your friend gets up toward the 200/100 range, worry. My brother tends toward that, and I'm worried he's going to have a stroke, honestly.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
guess i missed the biology class where they explained the direct correlation between blood pressure and, at least this is how i interpeded your post, being able to call yourself a Man. (as in, hand in your man card)

BUT since that PROBABLY isnt the case, if you are worried, get his (or your or whoever) ass to a doctor. Medical advice on the internet usually predicts death with the next 4 business days.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
omgeveryone9 said:
Yeah, lack of rest and stress certainly can be the cause, so it may were well be possible for him to get back on track. problem is, from this attitude i guess he is isnt going to do that till its too late. sad. I too have friends who hardly sleep, but they do not have such problems (one of them is like a tank, sleeps 5 hours a day and can go on like a rabbit all the time, gota lvoe those 8 hour long skype chats with him.) but im getting offtopic. he needs to be made to change his mind, whichever way works. while the pressure for now isnt dangerous to need swift action, it may rise if the behaviuos continues.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I would go see a doctor if it stays around that range.
If it is once in a while, I wouldnt worry too much.

I think he is under pressure/ stressed but at 15, I dont think it sounds healthy.

My dad had really high blood pressure and had a stroke at 42, died at 56. Better safe than sorry.

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
Wouldn't a real man not know or care what their blood pressure was?

"I don't care what those eggheads tell me, my ticker's workin just fine"