Bloodborne: first 18 minutes

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Between seeing oros alpha play through of the game and the more i hear about this being a DeS successor the more uninterested in it I become. On the bright side I can always watch lobos play it to see if its any good or not.

Clearwaters

Jul 14, 2014
I really like the style Bloodborne has over the souls games. That saw cleaver thing is really badass too especially when he whips it open.

I wonder how different the Pistol is from the Blunderbuss.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Hmmmm might just be the area or how that person was playing but it seems much much faster paced and less defensive than Dark Souls and with more grouped enemies. I was originally a bit put off tbh. I already have DS and DS2 and cinematic trailer didn't peak my interest much at the time but the gameplay in this seem to different enough to get me interested again so I hope it will come to PC at some point. It's also a different setting which helps.

EmperorZinyak

Aug 3, 2014
Fat_Hippo said:
EHKOS said:
I wonder if most of the weapons will be as cool as the saw cleaver or not, but that blunderbuss seemed like garbage, performance wise.
He wasn't doing a very good job of utilizing it. The developers have said that firearms aren't meant primarily as a means of doing damage, but as a means of interrupting the enemy, allowing you to use an execution move on the enemy (which I believe he does at one point) or to simply give the player some breathing room. Also, since the game no longer has shields, it basically replaces the ability to parry, while requiring less precise timing, but only having limited uses.

Also, is it confirmed that blood vials will be the only method of healing? Because it seems like an item that you need to buy/farm but I always liked the concept of limited but free healing items that Dark Souls had with the Estus flask, and even considered Lifegems to be a weakening of that mechanic in Dark Souls 2. I hope that won't be how it works.
To me, it looks like there is a mechanic where you can regain a small amount of lost life by attacking enemies quickly, or else you just lose the life. It should reward more aggressive playstyles.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
I don't get much of a Demon's Souls vibe from this. Beginning to think we got lucky they were on a budget for Demon's.

That said, if the gameplay is anywhere near as sharp as DkS2 I might actually shell out for a PS4 for this. Hard to tell from this trailer, since, no offense, the player's a bit on the sloppy side :p

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Rozalia1 said:
Looks excellent as expected. Looking forward to playing it... though the coming of a translated Yakuza 5 means it isn't the game I'm most looking forward to... Yakuza is just that good.
I'm more excited by the Yakuza 5 translation than any PS4/XOne announcement to be honest. Such a brilliant series. But yeah, I need to get myself a PS4 soon. Bloodbourne looks alright, though not completely my cup of tea. I do understand why people are excited about it, it's going to be quality for sure.

The Squid King

Jan 19, 2014
This game looks fantastic. It is going to be kind of weird adjusting to this faster paced, dodge focused style of gameplay in a game that still feels like a Souls title though. Now I just need to get a PS4...

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Hmmm another Demons reskin but to be fair although I was done after Dark Souls which felt much to similar to Demons for my taste this does reignite my interest for the game a little. I enjoyed Demons Souls it felt very refreshing and Dark was fun but just not as good imo maybe the paint had worn off a bit.

I do like the new look with the Victorian England vampires and werewolves feel I just wish more had changed because it really looks like Demons in new clothes again. I will likely get it though even if not at launch because its honestly still one of the more exciting bigger budget games out there atm and despite my criticisms of them playing it safe at least they havent done what a lot do and just make Dark Souls 3 in everything instead of just essence.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
EmperorZinyak said:
To me, it looks like there is a mechanic where you can regain a small amount of lost life by attacking enemies quickly, or else you just lose the life. It should reward more aggressive playstyles.
Your character is sustained off blood in some way, and the attacks have bigger bloodsplashes in this game, so my theory is that you get that health back for having the blood splash on you. Plus, the character's movements seem downright vampiric compared to previous souls titles.

I didn't even look at any alpha gameplay though (didn't wanna spoil an entire segment of the game), so people who have probably already have the system figured out.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
EmperorZinyak said:

Yeah, defense seems mostly dodging/parrying and when you get hit and succesfully counter-attack(like with the blunderbuss) you regain lost health, so emphasis is quite different compared to Demon's Souls that is more about defense. Also transfusion in this game seems to be a lot like the ephemereal eyes in Demon's Souls(or humanity in DkS). But now it probably reverts you back from beast form instead of death. Makes sense though in a game called 'Bloodborne'. :p I assume beast form is just a similair sort of immortality curse like soul form or hollowing?

Anyways, really cool stuff. Game looks soooooo awesome. *drool* Release is coming closer and closer. :p

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Meh, it feels like yet another Souls game. Everything is pretty much by the book. That in itself is pretty good, I love them to death, but not worth getting a PS4 just for it. Those who have one, enjoy it!

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Since the video shows the same area we saw during the alpha, but in a different time during the day, do you think they're going to re-introduce the world tendency mechanic in some form and use the time of day to emphasize it? Because so far they haven't mentioned anything about day/night cycles when there is clearly something of the sort judging by the different preview videos we've seen so far.

Also, I like how Hunter's Dream is literally a house in the middle of what is basically Ash Lake.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Persona 5.
Yakuza 5.
Other stuff ... now this!

Shit, I really wasn't expecting a lot for this year, but it looks like it is only the beginning.
I must admit, I am happy that I already have a PS4.
Sure, I felt somewhat fucked over at the beginning of my purchase with Second Son, but hopefully these games will make up for it.

As for Bloodborne.
I like the combat style, it seems more fast paced when you don't have a shield.
That ... and the music of course.
The music sounds great.

Also Hunter's Dream, I hope it's like a more personal base for the player. (Though I don't know jack about DS, so I might be wrong)

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Fat_Hippo said:
Really, I should be trying to keep myself away from spoilers... buuuuuut since it's unlikely I'll be getting a PS4 anytime soon I might as well. *Frustration slowly builds up*
No worries. It'll probably show up on Steam eventually, and they seem to be getting better at PC ports by the game.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
sageoftruth said:
Fat_Hippo said:
Really, I should be trying to keep myself away from spoilers... buuuuuut since it's unlikely I'll be getting a PS4 anytime soon I might as well. *Frustration slowly builds up*
No worries. It'll probably show up on Steam eventually, and they seem to be getting better at PC ports by the game.
That's the thing. I have my doubts this will be ported to any other platforms, since it's being published by Sony, similar to Demon's Souls. So it's entirely feasible that this will, in fact, be a PS4 exclusive. Which makes me a very sad gamer.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Fat_Hippo said:
sageoftruth said:
Fat_Hippo said:
That's the thing. I have my doubts this will be ported to any other platforms, since it's being published by Sony, similar to Demon's Souls. So it's entirely feasible that this will, in fact, be a PS4 exclusive. Which makes me a very sad gamer.
Which makes us who have PS4s very happy and lets us gloat.

Ha! We might have missed an amazing game in D4, but we're getting good stuff too!

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
waj9876 said:
Fat_Hippo said:
sageoftruth said:
Fat_Hippo said:
Which makes us who have PS4s very happy and lets us gloat.

Ha! We might have missed an amazing game in D4, but we're getting good stuff too!
....Oooh... That is troubling. Maybe I'll end up getting a PS4 as well. As others have said, Persona 5 and this sound promising. If they beef up their library a bit more and if the reviews and first impressions for both of the above don't scream "It's a trap!" then maybe I'll get one.