Bloodborne May Seem Like A Dark Souls Game, But Be Warned

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Not to be an annoying asshole but From Soft makes all kinds of games. They made Enchanted Arms, the Armored Core games (dad games but with mechs I think), the Kings Field games, and of course Metal Wolf Chaos the most 'MURICA FUCK YEAH patriotic game in the world released exclusively in Japan with full english voice acting.

Also the moving enemies around idea is not new at all. The first Resident Evil is a major example, and the Devil May Cry, Bayonetta games do it on different difficulties all the time its practically a trope at this point. Second quest in the very first Zelda and the Gamecube re release of Ocarina of Time did it too.

As for the article. Yeah, Bloodborne and Dark Souls are basically the same in many respects but still different enough to not be seen as copies. They're like Alien and Aliens or Terminator and Terminator 2 I like to think. Thats not really a flaw though. It just means From Soft isn't as lazy as some people was smugly pointing out before release.

esserin

Nov 10, 2014
thanatos388 said:
Not to be an annoying asshole but From Soft makes all kinds of games. They made Enchanted Arms, the Armored Core games (dad games but with mechs I think), the Kings Field games, and of course Metal Wolf Chaos the most 'MURICA FUCK YEAH patriotic game in the world released exclusively in Japan with full english voice acting.
Well, the king's field games were essentially previous form of the souls series so-Wait what

thanatos388 said:
metal wolf chaos
They made that marvelous piece of perfection? I had no idea.

That'll shut up any "From only makes one type of game" arguments. Because they're awesome!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I too am currently playing the Dark Souls II re-release, while still playing Bloodborne, and I have found that I seem to be getting my teeth kicked a bit more. Not completely stomped, but I am getting hit a lot more than I used to. The combat feels so slow now after Bloodborne's breakneck battles.

I'm loving the new enemy placements because it is making me treat the game like a whole new experience. "Okay, what's going to be around this corner? Oh, that's new. No, wait!" I think a big reason as to why they did this is because they listened to all the criticism that Dark Souls II got. Story didn't make a lot of sense, areas were kind of bland, and stuff like that. Moving enemies around adds a surprising new level to the game. The Pursuer's optional area is now covered with bodies, showing that this guy is not to be messed with. Hollowed Soldiers are still attacking the tree Giants, showing that they continue in their duty even after everything has crumbled away. And as Yahtzee said, Heide's Tower of flame now has the knights.
I'm a little curious as to why the dragon is there. If anything, I would think it should be a dragon's corpse. Apparently The Old Dragon Slayer isn't doing his job.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what else has changed in the game.

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
I bet Bloodborne is coming for PC someday... I'm going to have the patience of a saint for that.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I've heard it said those new enemy placements in Scholars were basically equivalent to starting on NG+. Which upsets me; I haven't played Dark Souls 2 and I'm not sure I like the idea of the GOTY edition being harder than the base game.

I'd only ever played Dark Souls 1 as a sword-and-boarder, but so far I haven't had THAT much trouble getting into Bloodborne. Sure it's been difficult, but I feel like I got over that hump by the time I got to Gascoigne.

Speaking of which, every time I beat a boss in this damn game, I remember that the PS4 can record gameplay footage and think "fuck, why didn't I record that, that was so good!" I don't even care about uploading it, I just want to have it on record so I can watch it. My victory against Gascoigne was particularly memorable because it was a) my third try, and b) I finished him off with a gun parry.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Lazule said:
I bet Bloodborne is coming for PC someday... I'm going to have the patience of a saint for that.
Maybe in the far off future but Sony helped make the game as producers and partially owns it like Demons Souls. So I don't expect it to happen within the consoles lifetime if ever.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
esserin said:
thanatos388 said:
Well, the king's field games were essentially previous form of the souls series so-Wait what

thanatos388 said:
metal wolf chaos
They made that marvelous piece of perfection? I had no idea.

That'll shut up any "From only makes one type of game" arguments. Because they're awesome!
They also made Chromehounds which is easily one of the best mech games I've ever played.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Can somebody tell yahtzee that dual blade builds are viable in dark souls 2? In fact fuck dual blades, you can go into NG+ and beat every single boss with DUAL-SHIELDS!(technically can be done from moment 1, but the special set of shields only drops later in the game) That's right, you can beat the game using only shields in both left and right hand.

I find it funy the majority of peole complaining about how slow DS 2 is ... you make it slow on yourself by playing in the ONE immortalized style of combat that is the easiet to pull off for a new player: cowering behind your shield. I did about 10 playthrough of that game and I came up with a new gimmick in each of them. Only dual-wield light weapons, dual shield, dual-wield heavy weapons (oh the fun of chopping people up with 2 greatswords), only arcane, only miracles, only pyro (god this one was a pain when it came to the Old Iron King) and so on. In fact I booted up my DS 2 copy went into NG+2 with my dual blade wielding dude and, apart from some of the weapons in bloodborne that really feel more like you're having a spaz attack than a fight (Hello blades of mercy, why do you make my char look like a parkinson patient under electric therapy?) you can pull of a really fast, really awesome style of combat. A DEX-END build can match in speed most of bloodborne's move sets (and yeah, using the Berserker Blade on a build like that would be far more powerfull, but I like me some dual wielding).

Oh and a note on multyplayer and pvp: it's the fucking same. Coreographed dancing and rolling routines for ages until someone fucks up and the other guy get's either hits or a backstab in (well a visceral riposte in BB). The only, unerline and fucking bold ONLY reason BB seems faster and more dynamic is because they made the endurance stat pointless by giving everyone absurdly fast stamina regen (must be all those +2 chloranthy rings you have sowed into your underwear) while taking away all means of damage mitigaion (armors are useless and almost all look the same, bye bye fashion souls and we already know they took the shields away). And this reason is also why we no longer have proper magic or range weapons in the game: cause you would have no means of protecting yourself from them. Give me my archer from DS 2 or any of my spellcasters, and I wouldnd't loose a single fight.