Bloodborne Weapons (Rifle Spear Run Issue)

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
What are your favorite weapons in Bloodborne?

I don't hear much about people using the Rifle Spear in this game, apart from before it was patched and people could do outlandish amounts of damage with the glitch. Does anyone here use it? I want to get the DLC and try out the bow too.

I just finished the game/labyrinth for the 2nd time using only the rifle spear (as soon as I was able to go get it). One thing that really pissed me off is that I was absolutely unable to stagger the headless bloodletting beast for a visceral attack. I've seen plenty of vids where people doing far less damage, WITH the same weapon/attacks, managed to break his facehole in just a few charged hits/swipes.

I chain charged heavy thrusts and 2 handed swipes at his stump until he is 60% down and the parasite pops and never got a stagger. I can easily break his legs but I could have killed him much easier with a head break. I tried it dozens of times but it was useless. I ended up just hacking at his left leg for the last 40% after literally going full irrumatio mode on his neck with my spear.

The Loran Darkbeast was actually the biggest problem I had, but even then I had no problem breaking limbs and faces. The HBLB was just refusing to acknowledge I was hitting its weak spot for massive damage.

I seem to remember having zero issues getting the visceral with the Threaded Cane my first time through, but plenty of trouble with it outside of that. The Rifle Spear made short work of just about everything that gave me trouble the first time through despite no serration or buffs.

I want to try the stake driver but envision much salt ahead.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I just used the cane whip the whole game.

The problem is, by the time you get later weapons, I feel most people are so used to whatever weapon they have been using by then, usually a starting weapon, that we dont want to put in the effort to upgrade and learn the new stuff.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I initially used it for its (physical) range. Out of all the weapons in the game I seem to remember it had the longest stab. Don't know if that changed with the DLC.

My favourite weapon is the threaded cane, simply because it's the fastest, and the game is all about being quick so...

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Blade of Mercy is by far and away my favourite weapon to use. I platinumed the game with it. I also love the Burial Blade, Boom Hammer and Whirligig Saw. Thinking about making a character build based around Simon's Bowblade to give that a try because it looks like fun.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
In my first run I used the Rifle-Spear just as support weapon (mainly against big enemies); so I don't know if that glitch was patched yet. The thread cane is very versatile, but I found the axe is way more fun (specially 2-handed). I did an arcane build with the axe (adding a fire, bolt or arcane blood gem makes the bonus to use arcane scaling instead of strength). I like Blades of Mercy a lot too (specially against NPCs).

Ironically when I did my skill / bloodtingle run, I didn't use the Rifle-Spear. Evelyn was my weapon for finishing troublesome enemies and bosses (once they were low enough in health), but mostly I used Ludwig's Rifle (just for staggering enemies).

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Burial Blade for the knockback on the scythes charge attack, as well as the generally high hp regain.

Followed up by the Boom Hammer. Because explosions.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I like the weapon's range and transformation but haven't used it much in general. I'm kinda torn between it [http://www.bloodborne-wiki.com/2015/03/rifle-spear.html?m=1] and Reiterpallasch [http://www.bloodborne-wiki.com/2015/03/bayonet-reiterpallasch.html?m=1] for a secondary, as I'm maining the good ol' Saw Cleaver.

Whenever I get around to the Old Hunters expansion I see a whole host of other interesting looking weapons too. Ahhh choices.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm unoriginal, so I just used Ludwig holy sword the entire game the first time I played (well started with cane but switched to sword), simple and clean.

Second game I was planning on using some of the DLC weapon, but I started with the axe and that thing is fire, it's whirlwind attack is really strong, fast and amazing reach. So I could never replace it.

I really hope that in future soul game they make it easier to transition to other weapon, It kinda suck getting a new weapon but not using it cause you can't upgrade it enough. Or getting a weapon, upgrading it and finding out it's actually pretty weak. Maybe some system where you can spend a large amount of soul to get all your upgrade item back.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
It's definitely a pain to try out a new weapon here when you only get one blood rock per cycle without the dlc or doing hard lab runs. They did patch in the option to get one for 60 insight though, which makes brainsuckers even more of an annoyance. I like the burial blade too, I mainly popped it out in the labyrinth if I ever had 7+ rats on me.

The charged R2 of the Rifle Spear is its main attraction. You can essentially charge it out of range and hit most npcs before they can do anything as they walk towards you.

Its especially nice to get a bunch of guys lined up on some stairs or in a doorway and mow them down like grass. Running R2s are a nice vertical slam which can hit Amygdala etc. head, so can the regular R1. The one handed R1 spam makes easy work of Ebrietas. The gun has great stopping power too. I used to hate those things that sprint at you while screaming at mach 3 but you can essentially drop them with one shot. The hellhounds were much easier being able to hit both with one shot instead of missing with the Eveline 50% of the time.

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
Currently using the cane whip, probably gonna switch to the..crow..person's..daggers. Been a while since I played, though.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Beast Claws initially were one of the most disappointing weapons in the game until TOH DLC. With the new Beast Rune promising the fabled Beast Transformation hyped up by the pre-release interviews, turned the Claws into a Beasthood centered weapon where aggression net you more damage, and one of the most unique move sets to boot.

Second fave is the Beasthunter Saif and third the Beastcutter. A lot of the DLC weapons in general had such unique flavors compared to the vanilla arsenal.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
On my first playthrough right now. I just reached the nightmare areas.

I spend 90% of the time with the starting weapons I chose, namely the saw cleaver and the blunderbuss.

Occasionally I change it up by using the flamesprayer for bosses that take a lot of flame damange and the fucking lighting mace that I can never remember how to spell.

Ludwigs sword I only used for cainhurst.

I've tried other weapons as I've gotten them, but a fair number don't show up till late game and that point I've already gotten used to and upgraded the crap out of my early game weapons so I just tend to keep going back to the ones I'm comfortable with.

Kind of the problem I have in most souls games. I tend to find one or two weapons I really like, often easy to use, easy to upgrade ones with decent damage and just use them for like 90% of the game. I'll only start experimenting if I run across a boss who keeps kicking my ass and I need something to close the gap. I went through pretty of all of Dark Souls using the claymore(later infused with lightening), the zweihander(later infused with holy) and the black knight halberd(because of the amazing damage and long reach), occasionally using the bow to take out distant targets.

Dark Souls 2 having a million different weapons wasn't a selling point for me for reasons like this.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Blade of Mercy is by far and away my favourite weapon to use. I platinumed the game with it. I also love the Burial Blade, Boom Hammer and Whirligig Saw. Thinking about making a character build based around Simon's Bowblade to give that a try because it looks like fun.
The saw was my favorite weapon by far, but the bowblades a close second. From finally implemented a bow weapon that is viable, but not broken. Playing with the bow was a fucking *blast*.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I had the Rifle Spear as a secondary weapon to the Ludwig Holy Blade first time I played through. It's use was very situational; Good for dealing with spiders, enemies in narrow corridors like the Chalice Dungeon, and I found the transformed charged R2 (the big running stab) is perfectly designed to stagger and knock over big slow enemies. I got dealing with the Kidnappers down to a fine science with that thing.

Second run on New Game Plus I went with Burial Blade and Blades of Mercy. They might be two of my favourite weapons. Blades of Mercy isn't *really* efficient, but there's nothing like going with it for a Hunter Duel. I also found I could cheese the Abhorrent Beast pretty effectively with the dual-wielding dodge-stab. It was like sidestep, poke, back off, rinse, repeat. And the Burial Blade's L2 is what finally took care of the Defiled Watchdog. I'd spent so much time trying to maximise damage on my +10 Holy Blade, then I found you can just head-smash the thing to oblivion with the scythe.

My third run I went for a pseudo-Arcane build, which basically ended up being the Tonitrus built. I had the DLC installed so tried to muck around with a few of the funky newer weapons (though I had one rule: no Holy/Moonlight Blade- enough of the boring, easy weapons) and settled on the Boomhammer as my secondary. So that was a nice themed build. I also eventually got A Call Beyond, but I didn't find much use for it to be honest.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
My two favorites are the Beast Cutter and the Chikage. With the Beast Cutter, I can whoop enemies before they can even get close enough to try to attack me, and the Chikage is just cool. It does so much damage for a bloodtinge build, and it really makes me think, since I can't just leave it transformed for the whole fight.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
inu-kun said:
Stake Driver is fucking awesome, extremely fast (stunlocks some enemies) and does great damage, the only downside is the small range.
I'm thinking of trying it out soon. I assume it's best for Quality builds, right?

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
For Strength, the Beast Cutter and Whirlygig Saw. Beast Cutter is good fun, feels like a heavier Saw Cleaver with better damage and stuns, and the whip form is some good distance that the Cutter painfully lacks. Whirlygig Saw was just so much fun to use against the bigger bosses like Ludwig and Ebrietas, and the stun-lock from the heavy attack was an awesome utility in Co-op play. Fucking useless against Lady Maria though.

For Skill, Simons Bowblade and the Threaded Cane. Cane is probably my favourite starting weapon, since both forms had a lot of utility and the damage was great at higher levels. Simons Bowblade (while horribly broken thanks to that double S scaling) was just interesting to use, with the melee/long-range mix led to some fun fights against bosses and a change in my usual tactics of 'bury face in arse and swing until out of stamina'.

Arcane, it's the Moonlight Greatsword. Purely for looks, I don't care about stats (though it is fucking powerful). I've always liked using the Moonlight Greatsword in Souls games, so that plus the Cainhurst set let me feel like a good and proper Undead.

And for guns... the Cannon and Church Cannon. Oh, so much fun to use. A cannon-ball to the face was a good problem solver for most of the bosses in game, and was also surprisingly potent in PvP when paired with the Pistol. Fucking inefficient, but fuck it, it was a lot of fun.