Bloomberg Pays Fines for 32,000 Felons in Move to Bypass GOP Voter Suppression Obstacles

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
THANK YOU! Freaking honesty!
I mean, I don't understand why it's that big of an issue whether he did or didn't. But I also don't see the point in defending him, he was scummy before, ofc he's still scummy even if he did something I think has a good result. Especially because yeah, I'd bet my life he did it because of the impact it'll have on elections.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I mean, one could wonder. But the question then is like, it's not conditional or anything. At most it might make them grateful because they know the source. Which is just a bit of a ehhhh side effect to a Dem being the one to do something to fix an injustice. You don't let nonsense persist just because people might be grateful to the one who paid to fix it.
Questions should be asked, everything should be checked. The fact people are checking doesn't mean that there is actual guilt. It should be mandatory for everything that could be seen as swaying any vote

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Questions should be asked, everything should be checked. The fact people are checking doesn't mean that there is actual guilt. It should be mandatory for everything that could be seen as swaying any vote
Yeah, that's reasonable to ensure it's not some deal. I don't think it'd be that blatant, but checking should occur, yes

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Hasn't Trump donated all of his presidential salary since taking office?
Why not? He's surely earned plenty by getting government personnel to stay in his properties at the taxpayer's expense.

Personally I'd call that corruption, which no amount of salary donations make up for.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I mean, I don't understand why it's that big of an issue whether he did or didn't. But I also don't see the point in defending him, he was scummy before, ofc he's still scummy even if he did something I think has a good result. Especially because yeah, I'd bet my life he did it because of the impact it'll have on elections.
You are being CONSISTENT! That's all I wanted! Honesty and consistency!

d1655a618e979a57514b10d73fefa5d4.gif

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
No argument here. Way I see it, if we have to live in a broken system, we might as well take advantage of the times it breaks in our favor.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Seriously now. It just comes across as buying votes in a swing state. A swing state that had a very small margin of victory.

If a Trump supporting billionaire did this exact same thing, I find it really hard to believe that you guys would be so blasé about it.

Hell, the title of this thread would probably straight up say something to the effect of "RICH GOP ************ INTERFERES IN ELECTION."

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Seriously now. It just comes across as buying votes in a swing state. A swing state that had a very small margin of victory.

If a Trump supporting billionaire did this exact same thing, I find it really hard to believe that you guys would be so blasé about it.

Hell, the title of this thread would probably straight up say something to the effect of "RICH GOP ************ INTERFERES IN ELECTION."
Right now, as President? Yeah that's accurate. Maybe if he's out of office. He reduced sentences and released prisoners. That would swing a vote way more. I don't remember there being too much complaints.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
But a Trump supporting billionaire very likely wouldn't do that, because Republicans a) are in the business of stopping poor people voting, not helping them and b) tend to be law and order types who want criminals punished and disenfranchised.

Why sweat over things that don't happen?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
But a Trump supporting billionaire very likely wouldn't do that, because Republicans a) are in the business of stopping poor people voting, not helping them and b) tend to be law and order types who want criminals punished and disenfranchised.

Why sweat over things that don't happen?
He was convinced to release certain criminals. By Kim. Which means that for things like Breanna Taylor not to happen is... Getting rich. Or having a rich friend

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Right now, as President? Yeah that's accurate. Maybe if he's out of office. He reduced sentences and released prisoners. That would swing a vote way more. I don't remember there being too much complaints.
Trump SUPPORTING billionaire. Not Trump himself.
That's nice.

It doesn't at all address the hypothetical, but that's nice.
It's easier than addressing things that are happening?
Oh, I know, right?

Super difficult to address things that are actually occurring.

Such as...a billionaire Democrat who ran and failed in the primaries paying the fines of 32,000 felons in an obvious effort to bolster votes for his party's candidate in a contested state?

A billionaire who also happens to own a purveyor of news? And has previously injected hundreds of millions into the aforementioned primary campaign in an attempt to simply buy his way into office?

Trump and his ilk are rich fucks too who throw their money around.

But I don't see you folks avoiding harping on that or shying away from condemning it at every available (and unavailable) opportunity.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

Ron DeSantis went out of his way to prevent these people voting in the first place, and there isn't even a thread about it. Suppressing the vote doesn't even warrant a thread, because it's so expected of Republican govenors at this point.

Such as...a billionaire Democrat who ran and failed in the primaries paying the fines of 32,000 felons in an obvious effort to bolster votes for his party's candidate in a contested state?
You consider it "bolstering votes" to... allow people to vote?

Reactions: lil devils x

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Trump SUPPORTING billionaire. Not Trump himself.
It's going to need to be checked. What is their platform (like we're they pro-Law and Order which got them in trouble in the first place.)? Is there a deal? Otherwise, if it's all clear, I can give it a tentative okay like I'm doing here.... With the proviso that this could change very rapidly, very quickly and I might be wrong,

Like, I'm still worried about Bloomberg making a verbal agreement, behind closed doors. Not just with these individuals but with other constituents. (eg. Lincoln Project or similar entities. Perhaps pro-weed groups. Perhaps certain lefties groups who feel they don't want any part of Biden because he’s not on the Left.) This is also very much got a feel of Bloomberg paying for his sins as mayor.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Ron DeSantis went out of his way to prevent these people voting in the first place, and there isn't even a thread about it. Suppressing the vote doesn't even warrant a thread, because it's so expected of Republican govenors at this point.
We made a thread on that on the old version. I believe we were told they were bad guys so they deserved it

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells

It's super easy to get outraged when you mentally make up reactions for your opponents that you dislike, yeah.

The point is, this law sucked. If people raise money to bypass it so people get to vote, that's great. I'd probably be pretty cynical if the same side that made it a thing then paid to get rid of it but I'd not complain that the people got to vote.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
There's a difference between buying votes and removing financial obstacles to legal voting for citizens.

Honestly it's outright baffling to me that ex cons who have completed parole can't vote. Especially when they were non violent offences. Not allowing a murderer to vote I can understand, but lots of stuff seems to make the cut. Worse when you consider a lot of people with more money could simply pay to make these things go away instead of ending up felons. Really is a poverty tax.

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020

Do you really believe that? Because I don't see that ever happening. Democrats have never complained about conservatives enabling voting for anyone, they have been complaining about conservatives restricting voting.
I would expect some people to be sceptical as it would be totally unexpected for Republican donors to try and push the disenfranchised to go vote, but that's it.

Reactions: lil devils x