Blu-Ray Too Measly For Solid Snake

krysalist

Aug 22, 2007
Blu-Ray Too Measly For Solid Snake

After neatly trouncing [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C03E3DE1638F933A15751C0A96E9C8B63&scp=1&sq=blu-ray&st=nyt] Toshiba's lame-duck HD DVD format, one would imagine Sony's Blu-Ray would be cock of the walk, but design maverick Hideo Kojima is already lamenting its limitations, as he cuts away at his forthcoming opus in order to fit it on a disc.

In a recent interview with Japanese gaming mag Famitsu, Kojima held forth on the format:

Kojima: For us, we're not still not satisfied with the quality we can do. You know, there's not capacity space.

Interviewer: Wait, wait a sec. Saying there's not enough capacity, are you talking about Blu-ray?

Kojima: That's correct. There's not enough space at all. (laughs) ...There's not enough space. We always talked about where to cut and what to compress.

There is no concrete word on whether or not gameplay elements have been cut from the game due to space restrictions. The only definite cut due to Blu-Ray's 50 GB threshold is the lack of a Japanese language track in the European/North American build of the game.

Hengst2404

Aug 29, 2007
I will be honest, this to me sounds a but off. If you can barely fit your game onto 50 gigs, perhaps you need to try using compression. I would be shocked if this game ends up being longer than 20 hours, which probably means we will sit through hours of cut scenes that confound and amuse.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
I'm not buying it. If Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, with easily 75 - 100 hours of gameplay, can fit on an HD-DVD disc, then I'm pretty sure that Hideo can squeeze Metal Gear onto the Blu-Ray.

krysalist

Aug 22, 2007
I hear all your skepticism, and Hideo is well known for his PR deceptions. But, he's also known for trying to fit the Lakers, the polar ice-caps and the kitchen sink into his games. I don't doubt the scope of his vision, nor his ability to put boatloads of data on a disc.

gormers

Nov 23, 2007
I bet he is only saying this to brag about his game. There MAY be a small possibility that this game wont fit because its full of uncompressed prerendered cutscenes, but its no big deal to compress it so that it will fit. And I doubt we would notice.

Jan 22, 2008
Wow. 50 gigs. I've never played MGS (I dont use playstation), but now I want to. Dear gods, this man really is going for something big here, isnt he?

UbarElite

Feb 16, 2008
I seriously doubt his claim as well. In case we don't quite understand how big this is...Konami might as well release mgs 4 on its own hard drive.

Razzle Bathbone

Sep 12, 2007
Hengst2404 said:
we will sit through hours of cut scenes that confound and amuse.
In a Metal Gear game?! No wai!!!

"I am shocked. Shocked! To discover that there are confounding and amusing cutscenes going on in this game!"

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Well, one problem with the Blu-Ray drives in the PS3 is poor performance - it's been mentioned that in several PS3 games the developers have resorted to duplicating data on several areas of the disc in order to speed up access time, just to make their game engines function.

I find it hard to believe that they're actually managing to fill up 50gb of space with unique content though, unless they're using a lot of pre-rendered HD video and have a significant audio track(s).

mitsoxfan

Feb 12, 2008
So, games suddenly went from fitting on a DVD to not fitting on an entire Blu-Ray disc? I'm sure that, perhaps, MGS4 needs to be trimmed down, and he needs to make some concessions, but that doesn't mean 50 GBs is a reasonable size for a game, currently.

I can certainly see games on the 360 soon needing multiple discs, but to already be talking multiple Blu-Ray discs? That's crazy. If he wants to include another 10 GBs of voice overs, he simply should include a second disc in a special edition of the game, and have the disc install to the HD. It would take some time, but it seems like it's right up the hard-core fans alley anyway, so they wouldn't mind. And the rest of us can just buy the single disc edition.

Not sure what to make of it, but it sure sounds like there's a lot planned for this game. Hopes are high, for sure.

[HD]Rob Inglis

Jan 8, 2008
The graphics probably take up a lot as it looks like top notch stuff. They should just sell it as two dics, and make it more expensive, to keep thee whole game.

Hengst2404

Aug 29, 2007
I think its likely more a matter of not needing to really do things like compression when you have that storage at hand. While I know he is known for trying to cram everything he can into a game, 50 gbs worth of game would be truly revolutionary, especially given how much game is offered in games like Oblivion.

Obviously I was joking regarding the confounding cut scenes, I usually enjoy them, even if they take way from the actual gameplay.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
m_jim said:
I'm not buying it. If Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, with easily 75 - 100 hours of gameplay, can fit on an HD-DVD disc, then I'm pretty sure that Hideo can squeeze Metal Gear onto the Blu-Ray.
Oblivion fit on DVD. Regular, good ol', DVD.

Per MGS4 and bumping the 50GB limit, my brain can only fathom the possibility that Hideo and his crew are not using disc space efficiently (either because of a refusal to use more compression, or because of duplicating data for other reasons). The idea that the disc space is being used efficiently, and there is still 50+ GBs of content, just boggles my mind. It is simply incomprehensible to me. Anything is possible, but some things are just hard to imagine.

REDPill357

Jan 5, 2008
Come on. Crysis took up only 12 gigs. And you can't put MGS4 onto 50 gigs? What is the gaming world coming to?

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
While slightly suprising it did mention that they had to talk about what to cut and what to compress.
Well cut the Japanese voice track ~ no brainer and compress what ever else you need to.
The 360 pretty much needs to have everything compressed due to the lack of space on a DVD and the PC has done it for years, part of the reason for the old install thingy that PC gamers put themselves through.
Compressing data is hardly a big deal, Kojima is just trying to give the game his own unique brand of hype.

Razzle Bathbone

Sep 12, 2007
Hengst2404 said:
Obviously I was joking regarding the confounding cut scenes, I usually enjoy them, even if they take way from the actual gameplay.
I know. Me too. I was just razzing you. :)

james.lloyd

Mar 5, 2008
By "After neatly trouncing Toshiba's lame-duck HD DVD format" do you mean

paying Toshiba off with a cheap deal on the PS3 Cell processor factory? looks like a deal to share the PS3 profits to me or is that overly cynical

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Somehow i am seriously worried about the mental condition of Hideo Kojima.

First the two rather...bizarre story trailers, and now BS-statements like this.

Maybe MGS3 should've REALLY been the last MGS Game, at least for the sake of Kojimas Creative Sanity