Bobular's top 5 most disapointing anime

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Since the Wild West has closed I guess I'll be posting my inane ramblings about all things weeby here.

First up, I shall complain about anime that I thought would be good but turned out to be not as good as I hoped.

[HEADING=1]Grimgar Of Fantasy & Ash[/HEADING]

First off I'll start by saying I'm reading the light novels for this, I've been enjoying the light novels, when I saw the anime was coming out I watched it as soon as I could. I just found the anime no where near the same as the light novel to the extent that some of the main characters seemed to have completely different personalities to me in the anime.

The story is guys wake up in a fantasy world with no memory and basically get conscripted into becoming 'volunteer soldiers', basically adventurers with classes such as warrior, theif, mage, priest etc. So far standard stuuf. What I like about Grimgar is the fact that the main characters are all pretty terrible adventurers and how grounded in real life (as much as it can be in a fantasy setting), the anime does away with much of that, adding in over the top fighting moves, jumping on walls and cheesy effects.

The main characters all seem close but slightly off from the ones in the novel. Perpetually sleepy looking Haruhiro smiles way too much in the anime and in the anime his pessimistic, almost defeatist, attitude doesn't seem to come through. Shihoru seems overly shy in the anime where as in the novels she will often come out with harsh retorts when the boys, especially Ranta, do something stupid.

Also the whole scene where Manato dies seems completely different in the anime. In the novel he dies because the group get over cocky and think they can take two goblins that are clearly higher level than anything they've dealt with up to now and that over confidence is what leads to Manato dying , in the anime it seemed more like they were just randomly ambushed by a large goblin force and because of this ambush Manato dies. It really doesn't have the same effect narativly in my opinion.

So all in all I was really disappointed with the anime to Grimgar due to the characters not being different, time wasted on pointless extra scenes when more important scenes from the novel were shortened or cut entirely and also for the fact that I don't think the anime would get a second series so I'll never see them do the orc raid and even if they did I wouldn't trust them to do it justice the same way I think they messed up the whole encounter with Death Spots.

[HEADING=1]Prison School[/HEADING]

Probably the least lewd pic I could find for this series, and that is my main problem with it. I read the first volume or two when I was at college, I thought a series where the main characters were sent to a prison within the school seemed to have a lot of potential to it, but that potential never had a chance to be realised for me as I gave up on the series with just how over the top ecchi it was. I wouldn't mind a little ecchi, that doesn't bother me too much, but Prison School just goes far too far with it I think and really put me off.

I've been told the series is actual quite good, but I won't find out because of the bad first impression it gave me.

[HEADING=1]Claymore[/HEADING]

Ok, a bit cheaty here. I've read all the manga for Claymore and the only reason I'm disappointed in the anime is that they rushed the ending to finish the series off as much as possible as they clearly wern't getting a second series.

I'm only disappointed in Claymore because we're never going to get a second series. I'd love to see everything that happens after battle of in the North, after the time skip, animated.

[HEADING=1]DARLING in the FRANXX[/HEADING]

I just didn't find it as good as Kill La Kill or Gurren Lagann which is what I was expecting from FRANXX.

Its ok as far as weird anime[footnote]Even by anime standards[/footnote] go, it just wasn't as good as I was hoping. Who knows, maybe a second run through may change my mind but I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon, too many good weird anime to watch first. I still need to finish Space Patrol Luluco.

And there is no fifth most disappointing anime here as I wanted to disappoint you.

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
Bobular said:
And there is no fifth most disappointing anime here as I wanted to disappoint you.
Well played. Someone in the near future might slip a spider picture in a spoiler to trick you. But it won't be me.

I'm not a liar.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
*still needs to finish Space Patrol Luluco*

Dude what. I sit more in traffic each day than that show's length.

Fallow

NSFB
Oct 29, 2014
Out of GitS, Akira, and Honshou, there was really only one disappointment.

Not enough scary spiders surprise!

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Weebery? In MY Off Topic? Sorry bob, this really cannot stand. Very disappointed in you for continuing to be a weeb. :mad:

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The only one of these I've seen is Claymore since I don't watch a lot of anime anymore. I do kinda see where you're coming from with that one though even though I haven't read the manga. It would've been nice to see it continue.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
The weebiest thing I think I watched all the way through was Bodacious Space Pirates. I heard the premise and thought it sounded cool but it really wasn't. It was just boring.

EDIT: Or maybe Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is weebier, I quite liked that show.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Hazy992 said:
The weebiest thing I think I watched all the way through was Bodacious Space Pirates. I heard the premise and thought it sounded cool but it really wasn't. It was just boring.

EDIT: Or maybe Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is weebier, I quite liked that show.
Love Hina for me. Someone convinced me there was a touching story of love and fighting into university and blah blah blah. Watched the whole thing looking for it. Turned out to be a weird harem romcom.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
EvilRoy said:
Hazy992 said:

Love Hina for me. Someone convinced me there was a touching story of love and fighting into university and blah blah blah. Watched the whole thing looking for it. Turned out to be a weird harem romcom.
I am a man! I only watch manly men doing manly things!

*watches Haruhi Suzumiya*

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Hazy992 said:
EvilRoy said:
Hazy992 said:

Haruhi was my first where I knew it was an anime[footnote]watched Pokemon & Dragonball Z and things like that on Cartoon Network before knowing what anime was[/footnote]. Love Hina was shortly after Haruhi but I never actually finished it.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Bobular said:
Hazy992 said:
EvilRoy said:
Hazy992 said:

Haruhi was my first where I knew it was an anime
Gross, keep your sex life out of this. God damn weebs.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
SupahEwok said:
Bobular said:
Hazy992 said:
EvilRoy said:
Hazy992 said:

Haruhi was my first where I knew it was an anime
Gross, keep your sex life out of this. God damn weebs.
Keep your life... out of my... sex... or something... I guess. Not sure where I was going with that, but I'm sure it was going to be a cutting comeback that would shake the world to its foundations with its awesomeitude.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
I think that all anime is disappointing by its very nature. If it weren't about such banal nonsense and focused, almost invariably, on fucking teenagers, I would like it a lot more. Even animes I've liked, which is bloody few, still focus on teenagers. And that is the most disappointing of all.

Love the art style, hate the stories and characters. I want a Western take on anime. A punchy, adult-oriented animated series with anime-style art, sans the Japanese tropes. I'd even pay money to watch it. Is that so much to ask? Yes. Yes it is.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Ironman126 said:
I think that all anime is disappointing by its very nature. If it weren't about such banal nonsense and focused, almost invariably, on fucking teenagers, I would like it a lot more. Even animes I've liked, which is bloody few, still focus on teenagers. And that is the most disappointing of all.

Love the art style, hate the stories and characters. I want a Western take on anime. A punchy, adult-oriented animated series with anime-style art, sans the Japanese tropes. I'd even pay money to watch it. Is that so much to ask? Yes. Yes it is.
Legend of Galactic Heroes, available with a Hidive subscription.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Ironman126 said:

I get what you mean, it annoys me too how much focus is on teenagers/high school students in anime. One of the reasons I liked Golden Time was that it set its story at a University rather than a high school so the characters were able to have different dynamics, go drinking, etc.

There are a few anime that don't use teenagers as their protagonists and usually I find they seem to go for a different audience and so don't follow the same anime cliches.

[HEADING=1]Expelled From Paradise[/HEADING]

I like Expelled From Paradise, its a good little movie that caters to my sci-fi and mecha tastes. The only issue I have with it is when the main character gets sent into the real world she skips a bunch of time growing her clone body to get a head start on the others investigating and so ends up in the body of a teenager. I would have much preferred it if she stuck with the appearance we see her with at the start rather than the younger one she ends up with.

Adult version

Teenage version

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
When I saw Neo-Yokio in the trailers I was intrigued.

I was wrong. Very very wrong.

Also, the most disapointing thing about anime at the minute is netflix UKs attitude. Where the hell my season 2 of seven deadly sins bro?

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Bobular said:
Hazy992 said:
EvilRoy said:
Hazy992 said:

Haruhi was my first where I knew it was an anime[footnote]watched Pokemon & Dragonball Z and things like that on Cartoon Network before knowing what anime was[/footnote]. Love Hina was shortly after Haruhi but I never actually finished it.
Haruhi was a trip for me. I came across it at random and watched it. Thought it was pretty alright, then years later stumbled into the fact that there was this crazy huge fandom around it. Like. It was good, it was a decent quality type of thing, but it blew me away when I found out that it was secretly the queen of a hive of weebery.

I wouldn't sweat not seeing the end of Hina. I definitely saw it, but I cannot remember anything about what happened in the last ep. And I'm speaking as a dude who can vividly remember banal conversations with sandwich artists years later.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
EvilRoy said:
Hazy992 said:

Ugh I HATE Love Hina. That anime is so stupid!