Bond Games Yanked From Steam, Activision Web-Store

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Bond Games Yanked From Steam, Activision Web-Store

Diamonds may be forever, but licensing deals aren't.

Activision-published James Bond titles, including Quantum of Solace, 007 Legends and the unfortunately titled Blood Stone, seem to have disappeared from Steam and Activision's own web-store. [http://store.activision.com/store/atvi/DisplayHomePage?resid=UOa-wQoHAtYAAFNls@kAAABE&rests=1357299648654] Activision bought the Bond license (to kill) from EA in 2006 and was supposed to hold onto it until at least 2014. The titles' sudden disappearance has some thinking things may have soured between the publisher and current rights holders, Sony and MGM.

Eurocom, developer of the last three Bond games, entered administration last December. The British studio produced its first Bond game, James Bond JR (NES), back in 1991.

For many gamers, the only appealing thing about newer Bond titles is the off chance that they might recapture the lightning-in-a-bottle success of the brilliant N64 hit, GoldenEye. There's been a few close calls; 2002's Nightfire is held in high regard and 2004's Everything or Nothing has its fans, but none have matched the critical success of Rare's original effort. More recent titles were largely met with lukewarm reviews, with 007 Legends being noted mainly for its shockingly lazy box art. [http://trendygamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/007legendsxbox360boxart.jpg]

For those of you who bought any of the pulled games on Steam, perhaps in the recent round of wallet-sapping Christmas sales, don't worry. The games won't be removed from your personal libraries, and you can still re-download them should you need to.

Source: Neogamr [http://www.neogamr.net/news/james-bond-activision-games-removed-from-steam]

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Huh. That cover is shockingly lazy.

Also, take the license away from them, yes. The only decent Bond game made since Goldeneye was the Goldeneye remake on Wii. Not that it was great, it was just decent.

Make a Bond game that's its own thing. Not tied to any movie specifically. Though by all means, promote the heck out of it when the next movie launches.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Good to read Nightfire is held in high regard. It is a brilliant game, I reckon it was better than Goldeneye. Pitty the version they made for PC wasn't up to scratch with half the content cut out. Would like to see them release Nightfire on steam (the console version) but looks like that won't happen now.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
DalekJaas said:
Good to read Nightfire is held in high regard. It is a brilliant game, I reckon it was better than Goldeneye. Pitty the version they made for PC wasn't up to scratch with half the content cut out. Would like to see them release Nightfire on steam (the console version) but looks like that won't happen now.
This is the first time I hear this... I want that content, I love Nightfire!

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Jumwa said:
Huh. That cover is shockingly lazy.

Also, take the license away from them, yes. The only decent Bond game made since Goldeneye was the Goldeneye remake on Wii. Not that it was great, it was just decent.

Make a Bond game that's its own thing. Not tied to any movie specifically. Though by all means, promote the heck out of it when the next movie launches.
Everything Or Nothing was pretty good, and it was an original Bond game.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Dear sweet jesus could it be true? Could Activision's atrocious bond era finally be at an end? Could this, in fact, FINALLY open the doors for the release of the official Rare-made Goldeneye HD remake that was blocked at 99% completion?

Please, please let it be true!

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
While Goldeneye from the N64 was a landmark title when it came out, ya have to admit it's a game that has not aged well and there's more you can do with the James Bond license than just make FPS games with it! Because clearly when I think of James Bond I think of him mowing down a room full of dudes one man army style. It's not to say that has never happened in a film but I feel like publishers need to give up the ghost on Goldeneye and do something different!

I loved Everything or Nothing myself and it stands as one of the best Bond games in my opinion. Yeah there's still a lot of shooting but they did a good job mixing in other types of game play. Like vehicle sections to capture the thrill of the intense chase scenes from the films, good use of various gadgets, and the occasional stealth sequence because you know sneaking around is what a spy does! Given how poorly Activision has handled the 007 franchise I'm glad this happened and I hope a better company can make games that do a better job of making the player feel like a bad ass super spy.

Publishers, I want a Bond game that lets me do more than just shoot up everything. Stop chasing Goldeneye!

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Jumwa said:
And we have a winner here folks.

As i was going to post: Nothing of value was lost. Most bond games are Meh or absolutely terrible.

captcha: Sonic Screw Driver ._.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
Why no love for one of the better bond games?

I mean it had Sean Connery as Sean Connery. Sadly no one seems to have played this classic.

Goldeneye was good for its time but it hasn't aged well; Nightfire on the otherhand has bots to say the least and is still fun.

Well mabye someone will have a new go at 007 Legends style game but include all the Bonds rather than the least Bondish of them all (although still a rather good Bond and actor) along with...well a better game to be honest.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
I was under the impression that the Goldeneye remake for Wii and the HD versions for 360 and PS3 were received rather well. Anyway, it's silly to try and make something that lives up to Goldeneye, because Goldeneye N64 is a pretty terrible game by today's standards.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
007: Nightfire was probably one of the best games of the last gen. Great campaign that was the perfect length, memorable locales and missions, variation in underwater missions and epic car driving sequences(On motherfucking ice and water-skis!!). A great bad-guy, great and memorable guns, and possibly the best splitscreen shooter ever that i have played.(Mind, i haven't played Timesplitters which is supposed be rather good)

I swear my childhood was basically that game. Nothing gets old in it. Stupid bots were never so fun, and what could possibly be wrong with standing on opposite sides of a map and throwing homing insta-kill hats at each other until one hits.

The days of motherchunking healthbars and unlimited weapon-limit. Hell yeah!!

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
Talking of the Goldeneye remake, was it ever earmarked for a PC release? (Guessing that it's probably shafted now, but what the hey.)

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
LordJedi86 said:
Talking of the Goldeneye remake, was it ever earmarked for a PC release? (Guessing that it's probably shafted now, but what the hey.)
Some team made a Goldeneye Source mod
http://www.moddb.com/mods/goldeneye-source

It's alright I guess.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
It's rare to see box art that looks like something I could have whipped up in publishing class 10 years ago.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Wait... 007: GoldenEye was a good Bond game? Since when? Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, and Half-Life had that game beat by a lifetime supply of landslides. That game's development was just... lazy. It was a linear, watered-down Doom clone. It wasn't until EA got involved that 007 games actually felt something like 007 and not just a shooter. NightFire, Everything or Nothing, Agent Under Fire... Come on. GoldenEye can't hold a candle to these titles.

There are games that were good for their time and there are games that were amazing a long time ago and have still aged well. GoldenEye is neither of these. I'll take Perfect Dark, or better yet, TimeSplitters (both of its spiritual successors) any day.

DalekJaas said:
Might I remind you that both versions have stuff the other doesn't? The console version doesn't have the Airfield Ambush level, which was one of my favorites, right beside Zero Minus.