Book of Unwritten Tales Review

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
teh_gunslinger said:
Amaror said:
Wait a minute, why is the escapist reviewing this NOW?
The game came out in 2009...

It even has a Sequel already..
It came out in Germany in 2009. It was released again in late 2011. But that still makes the Escapist disgracefully late.
Yes, this game came out a while ago, but was just released on Steam and GOG. It's rare to find an adventure game this good, and its title is so generic that it would be easy to overlook. I wanted to let people know that it was available (it's not overly well known by American audiences) and, more importantly, that it was an excellent example of a dying genre. We didn't have to cover this at all, but I chose to because I think the game is that damn good.

If you find that "disgraceful," I simply have to disagree.
Alright, disgracefully was a bit much. For that I apologize. But considering that Rock, Paper, Shotgun wrote quite a lot about this game I'm still baffled that a game oriented publication takes this long and only reacts when it's released on Steam.

And there are a absolute ton of good adventure games at the moment. Resonance just released and it's pretty great. Blackwell Deception was released in January. Gemini Rue is pretty new as well. To name some.

But sure, they're not AAA games and only got on Steam late in the game. But they're all bloody good which seems to me to be a better qualification for taking a look on it.