Books to be Movies

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
Flood - Richard Doyle This is about a flood that hits London, and for anyone who lives and works in london, its a must read. So much research went into this its amazing. From the government, Flood barrier and everything in between. Such an epic scale. Lots imaginative visuals.
There was a version done in 2007 and it was terrible. It was made as movie but ended up being spilt into 2 1 hour episodes because no one wanted to show it.

Divein53

Jul 31, 2011
I would kill to see a Dresden Files film series. It would be near impossible to actually make but still as long as they got that one part in Dead Beat right........

Hugh Wright

Apr 2, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
However, I'd like to see a proper epic style-y film about the Peninsular War, or perhaps just a part of it just for the battle scenes (a la Waterloo by deLaurentiis). That or a film charting the lead up to the battle of Trafalgar, that'd be awesome (that is, with 60 ships of the line involved and all that good stuff)...
How about the Temeraire Series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temeraire_%28series%29 ? Napolionic War with dragons, and Peter Jackson has expressed an interest, and after seeing the snippets of Smaugg from the Hobbit I could see the appeal.

ANother book ripe for the conversion is Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_%28Westerfeld_novel%29 Steampunk mecha and biopunk world war one. All good fun.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
The Edge Chronicles, for sure. It's probably one of the better children's/young adult fantasy series out there, and probably one of the few with an actually imaginative world. Just take a look at the map:

Yes, that is a city built on a floating rock. There are trees that eat people, sky ships, steampunk galore, forests that make you go batshit crazy, warlord birds, carnivorous fluff balls, and a shedload of other things.

If the studio doesn't try to condense three books into one 90min long film like studios often do, then you would have one hell of a film series. I would like to see maybe each trilogy condensed into one 2 and half to 3 hour film, that way you get a good, cohesive story without it feeling rushed through.

Adept Mechanicus

Oct 14, 2012
Neuromancer. This should have been made in the 1980s. The conception of cyberspace would have to be changed a tiny bit to seem less dated, and the subplot with Case's stick of RAM would have to be dropped.

Also, Ender's Game. Dunno why that hasn't happened yet either.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Tom_green_day said:
SanAndreasSmoke said:
Too bad all the actors have outgrown their roles.
Thanks Paramount!
Jim Carrey hasn't outgrown anything!
OT: Probably a Bill Bryson book. If they could do it well, in an original style, it could be just as hilarious as his books.
A fair point! Carrey was the life of that movie. They could just CGI the kids in and bam! - You've got yourself a sequel.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Adept Mechanicus said:
Neuromancer. This should have been made in the 1980s. The conception of cyberspace would have to be changed a tiny bit to seem less dated, and the subplot with Case's stick of RAM would have to be dropped.

Also, Ender's Game. Dunno why that hasn't happened yet either.
There is movie on the in the works but it has been stuck in development hell for a decade. The film is supposed to have Mark Wahlberg as Case and Liam Neeson for Armitage. Personally, I think both actors are too old and Neeson as Armitage indicates that role is going to be made bigger than it was in the book. My guess, if it gets made, it will be just another genre piece. Which is a shame, if Ridley Scott got hold of it, Neuromancer would have been a classic.

http://www.blastr.com/2012/08/official-long-delayed-neu.php

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
albino boo said:
Unfortunately I don't think that will ever happen because of the old no Americans involved problem. Trying to sell a 300 year old war, in which the US played a minor part and they got beaten in, to the average American is perhaps a step too far. After the success of Lincoln at the box office perhaps we might get a Grant biopic which could have a massed battle scenes. I think the US civil war is the closet that we are going to get to Napoleonic warfare.
Well, two hundred year old war, but that's beside the point. The stupid thing being that irrespective of who won the War of 1812 (I'm sure there will be Americans who say that they won the war), both sides ended up jumping into bed with each other pretty much straight afterwards.

Anyway, at least the Napoleonic Wars are a more palletable alternative to what I really want: the Wars of German Unification. Chances of that being made by anyone any time soon? ... yeah... period's fascinating as hell, but German nationalism, mention of 'Reich' and lack of involvement from even the Brits means Hollywood interest = through the floor. Besides, even if there was a film, I'm sure von Moltke would end up turning in his grave... -_-

Hugh Wright said:
How about the Temeraire Series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temeraire_%28series%29 ? Napolionic War with dragons, and Peter Jackson has expressed an interest, and after seeing the snippets of Smaugg from the Hobbit I could see the appeal.
I'd watch that too! I've read most of the Temeraire series and it's awesome. The historical interpretation leaves a little to be desired, but given what the books are, I don't really give a damn, but hang it all, I want my battles. Call me greedy, but I want my dragon fights... and battle of Salamanca on film!

Adept Mechanicus said:
It has been in the works for a while... [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.401200-Neuromancer-what-how#16516397] I'm... just praying... just praying!

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Id like to see the Redwall series make it ot big screen (I know it had an animated movie, but i mean something on the level of narnia with the whole live action/CGI thing), as well as the Curse of the Flying Dutchman trilogy.

but most of all, id like to see the Dark Tower Series get to film. hell you odnt even have to do the two offshoots (wind through the keyhole and The Little Sisters of Eluria (though both would be cool), and you odnt have to do all the other books that they tie into (rather through new film or remake). ust the seven, thats all I ask.

... and that it be done well and witht he same respect stand by me and shawshank redemption were.

EDIT:

Blunderboy said:
Series Five
Song of Susannah.
there is no way you can justify an entire series/season to song of susannah. Its the shortest book (or at least second), and its written entirely in prose with more or less nothing happening. each book before and after it all have more substance to them. not without heavy filler or if youre going to make most of it introducing father callahan's back story and then that's reivisting 'salem's lot.

especially if you're to try and condense the first two and a half into one series and leave that as its own.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Not a movie, but the book "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman is being made into an HBO series.

http://screenrant.com/neil-gaiman-american-gods-hbo-6-seasons-mcrid-119432/

Honestly, I think it makes more sense for books to be made in TV shows anyway. You take 2 hours to watch a movie and it's done. With books and TV, you take a little bit of the story at a time, over a long period of time.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Monica Furlong's Wise Child as a sort of Secret of Roan Inish quiet, personal, character-driven family fantasy movie or, ideally, miniseries. No big set pieces, action scenes, or fancy CGI, which are all things I like but which definitely aren't suited to the tone of the book, which means it would be hard to market. But maybe that style will come back in fashion soon.

On a similar note, Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea books, as the same type of miniseries. Just destroy all knowledge of the previous attempt. (Also, all of her other books except for The Lathe of Heaven because the 1980 film version was already perfect.)

I'd also like to see a re-attempted His Dark Materials, probably also as a miniseries to do it justice.

I don't really like movies as a medium for accurate adapted works, most of the time. They can be entertaining, good in their own right, or interesting interpretations of the source material, but miniseries have much more potential to do justice to long books. Even more than film trilogies do. And TV seems to be where most of the talent has been heading recently.

Adept Mechanicus

Oct 14, 2012
albino boo said:
There is movie on the in the works but it has been stuck in development hell for a decade. The film is supposed to have Mark Wahlberg as Case and Liam Neeson for Armitage. Personally, I think both actors are too old and Neeson as Armitage indicates that role is going to be made bigger than it was in the book. My guess, if it gets made, it will be just another genre piece. Which is a shame, if Ridley Scott got hold of it, Neuromancer would have been a classic.

I heard about that, but I think that production is unsalvageable by now. Better to start from scratch. Liam Neeson is perfect for Armitage, even now. He's just the right age for it. I'd pick him or Willem Dafoe.

Mark Wahlberg isn't my first choice for Case, I will say that. I'd cast someone less pretty in the face, possibly someone who has actually had a drug problem in the past.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Divein53 said:
I would kill to see a Dresden Files film series. It would be near impossible to actually make but still as long as they got that one part in Dead Beat right........
I agree with this. I've read the first three so far, and shortly after finishing Storm Front, I think it could translate well into either a point and click game, or a movie.

As for my pick:

The Amory Wars: I'm cheating with this one, since it's 1: A Comic series(There is one book) and 2: A series of albums by Coheed and Cambria.

The Afterman: The discovery of The Keywork. A force that aligns 78 planets into a triangular pattern, which somehow allows life to flourish on them.
Year of the Black Rainbow: Introduction of the main villains, Mayo Deftinwolf and Wilhelm Ryan, People who are using the Keywork energy for their galactic conquest.
Second Stage Turbine Blade: Coheed and Cambria, the heroes from YotBR, are forced to kill their children for face Armageddon due to them having a virus called SiniStar that will turn them into monsters that will threaten the Keywork.
In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: Claudio beginning his journey to defeat Mayo and Wilhelm
Good Apollo: Long Subtitle: Not too sure about this one, it seems to be more about "The Writer" than the mythos.
No World for Tomorrow: Claudio's final rally against Mayo and Wilhelm's army and the results of that.

I think it would be interesting, but they HAVE to have Claudio (The writer of this whole thing) involved in the production.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
SomeLameStuff said:
The Codex Alera.

Think Lord of the Rings with Pokemon. Then multiply the battle scale by at least 5. The last battle in the book consists of an army of millions assaulting a fortress while the main character and the big bad duke it out while standing on a giant the size of Mount Everest. Which is also trying to kill both of them. Tell me that's not awesome!
Codex is one of my all time favorite series and I would kill a million hobos for a good movie but it will never hapen. At least not the way we would want it. To be faithfull it would have to be an 18 due to the amount of violance and sex in it and 18 movies do not make as much money so it would be toned down. The same problem with the Dresden files, which I would kill 2 million hobos for a movie.

kyuzo3567 said:
SomeLameStuff said:
The Codex Alera.

Think Lord of the Rings with Pokemon. Then multiply the battle scale by at least 5. The last battle in the book consists of an army of millions assaulting a fortress while the main character and the big bad duke it out while standing on a giant the size of Mount Everest. Which is also trying to kill both of them. Tell me that's not awesome!

I would not describe that series as LOTR with Pokemon... I would say LOTR mixed kind of with Avatar: LA just cuz it's basically element bending they do most of the time...

Damn I don't know how to describe it properly now
Actualy that is exactly how you should describe Codex Alera, Jim Butcher wrote the first book as a bet. He bet that he could take 2 bad ideas and make them into a book so someone online gave him the ideas 'Lost Roman legion' and 'pokemon'. Here is a link to a panel and Comicon in 2008 where he tells the story. Starts about 2 mins in.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
albino boo said:
Unfortunately I don't think that will ever happen because of the old no Americans involved problem. Trying to sell a 300 year old war, in which the US played a minor part and they got beaten in, to the average American is perhaps a step too far. After the success of Lincoln at the box office perhaps we might get a Grant biopic which could have a massed battle scenes. I think the US civil war is the closet that we are going to get to Napoleonic warfare.
Well, two hundred year old war, but that's beside the point. The stupid thing being that irrespective of who won the War of 1812 (I'm sure there will be Americans who say that they won the war), both sides ended up jumping into bed with each other pretty much straight afterwards.

Anyway, at least the Napoleonic Wars are a more palletable alternative to what I really want: the Wars of German Unification. Chances of that being made by anyone any time soon? ... yeah... period's fascinating as hell, but German nationalism, mention of 'Reich' and lack of involvement from even the Brits means Hollywood interest = through the floor. Besides, even if there was a film, I'm sure von Moltke would end up turning in his grave... -_-
Yup there is no way the Wars of German Unification is going to get made, even with euro money. German nationalism is just a no no. I would love to see a War of the Spanish Succession film made and that could be made with continental money.
Adept Mechanicus said:
albino boo said:

I heard about that, but I think that production is unsalvageable by now. Better to start from scratch. Liam Neeson is perfect for Armitage, even now. He's just the right age for it. I'd pick him or Willem Dafoe.

Mark Wahlberg isn't my first choice for Case, I will say that. I'd cast someone less pretty in the face, possibly someone who has actually had a drug problem in the past.

From memory Armitage is supposed to be about 50 so Neeson is pushing it. Dafoe is good choice, he can do unhinged very well and I think Ed Harris could do it too. Again from memory, Case is in his mid 20s which means Wahlberg is way too old. I can't think of anyone who could do skinny intense guy in his 20s that could make you believe that he is killer as well.

I think the problem is that Neeson and Wahlberg are on a deal which means they get paid even if the movie never gets made. It will cost to much money to start from scratch

malkavianmadman

Jun 29, 2009
I wouldn't mind seeing something like the Horus Heresy or Guant's ghosts turned into a movie...as long is it didn't turn out like the up coming World War Z (Which from the trailers I have seen looks like utter crap). Beyond that maybe a proper version of The Dresden Files as a TV show...

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
Megalodon said:
Yojoo said:
Dangit2019 said:
Yojoo said:
Dangit2019 said:
Speaker for the Dead. They're already making one for Ender's Game, but if that does well, I'd love for Speaker to get the 3-hour long epic treatment.
As much as I love Speaker for the Dead and all of the sequel books, they're mostly philosophical discussions in the form of fiction, and lack the action that Ender's Game could bring to a movie. You and I might line up to see such a film, but I doubt it would get much attention.
Yeah, but wasn't the same argument made against the LOTR movies? And they became smash hits? Yeah, they were one in a million, but if all we're talking about is hypotheticals, it wouldn't do bad if a more actiony movie like Ender's Game got good box office numbers.
LotR has large-scale battles to lend spectacle to the film. Speaker for the Dead is mostly about a guy in the future discussing with friends and family the ethics of using destructive force. It's a fascinating and fantastic book, but there simply isn't anything visual about the story. Either the film would be poorly received, or worse, they'd add in fight scenes to liven it up.

Besides, Speaker for the Dead is an incomplete story without Xenocide and Children of the Mind to conclude the saga. And between those three books, there's only one scene I can think of that actually lends itself to film.
I've never heard of the book you're talking about. However, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was essentailly just people talking for two hours, and it worked really well. So being a story without visual elements does't necessarily mean a film can't be done, just makes it harder.
Surely you've heard of Ender's Game? It's one of the most famous works of science fiction, about child soldiers learning to lead massive fleets. It has all sorts of action, ranging from unarmed hand-to-hand to large-scale Star Wars-esque space battles.

Speaker for the Dead is one of the sequels to Ender's Game. I haven't seen Tinker Tailor, so I can't do a perfect comparison, but I know that Tinker Tailor was powered by extraordinary actors and a tense setting, and only needed the relatively small budget of 21 million dollars. Speaker for the Dead would need a much larger budget for the science fiction elements, many of the characters are aliens (and wouldn't benefit from an acting juggernaut like Gary Oldman playing them), and the primary conflict is the inability to communicate. As much as I'd love to be proven wrong, I'm certain it wouldn't work as a film.

Plus, as a sequel to Ender's Game, Speaker would be a massive drop in action which would likely outrage audiences. Ender's Game can stand alone, but once you've read Speaker for the Dead you need to finish the saga. But Speaker for the Dead is much less accessible than Ender's Game, and I can imagine a fan uproar when people are "fooled" into seeing it after enjoying Ender. It would be like if Peter Jackson marketed a new movie as an intense Lord of the Rings sequel, but the whole thing was Samwise playing politics in the Shire.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
Divein53 said:
I'm not sure what you're referring to since I've only read the first three, but yeah, I'd like to see a Dresden movie. It would have to be handled with care, though. The books walk a fine line of noir badassery and a comical self-awareness of Dresden being an openly-practicing wizard in a skeptical world. "Do you do birthdays?", and all that.

I believe it was made into a short-lived TV series by the way, it came up on Netflix for me once. I haven't checked the show out yet because I don't want to spoil the books, and also because I'm skeptical that it was made for SyFy and only lasted one season. I do like the actor they got to play Dresden, though.

malkavianmadman

Jun 29, 2009
My missus watched it, there was too many different changes for me to enjoy it. It was (from my understanding) very similar to other 'supernatural' tv shows.