Books You Want Horribly Destroyed.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
The scarlet letter never have i read a book that took so long to get to the point.

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
Anything by most of the American political pundits and some of the more popular religious texts. Paris Hilton's book for good measure.

Don't burn books because that increases demand for the very titles you're trying to get rid of.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
I seem to remember a certain Extra Credits. Why can't people just ignore things anymore? Why must things always be destroyed for people to get on with their lives?

Grow up, other people like things, you have no right to take these things away from them on the basis that you do not like them.

Sep 14, 2009
ha well since this is satire i can easily go along with it.

just about 3/4 of the books we read in high school. god fucking awful and boring as fuck.

dont even remember half of them but south park did a perfect episode on this in one of there last seasons...good shit, i remember my teacher asking about hte symbolism behind the "fishing pole"....?!@#?!@3 its a fucking fishing pole. who gives a flying fuck. i dont, its fucking boring, let me read something i enjoy *****

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
The Austin said:
Nieroshai said:
The Austin said:
[HEADING=1]
Anti-religious bullshit incoming! Take cover!​
[/HEADING]

Anyway, now that that mandatory thingy-majigger is over, I'm going to go for the exact opposite of what I just warned about. I think that Richard Dawkins' The God Dilemma needs to get burned. Why? Because I'm allowed to believe what I want, and having a book calling me a dumbass isn't going to change my mind.
Is it really so wrong that I believe in something rather primitive? No sir, no it is not. It may be primitive, silly, all around unlikely, but you know what? It makes me happy. So I reserve the right to believe that there is an invisible man in the sky.

Edit: It's actually called The God Delusion. I apologize to any fans, readers, or devout worshipers of this piece of literature that I may have offended.
I agree on the right to believe in whatever. However, you note Christianity as primitive. Not trying to be a dick at all, just ranting on a point.
Believing in a religion is more than superstition. Superstition is primitive because it is created by one's own imagination rather than genuine thought, and can be disproven.
Nobody has disproven whether there is a god or not, whether there is a soul or not. And a lot of philosophical and logical process goes into apalogetics(defending the validity of the religion). My best example is that psionics fit in with quantum theory, but psionics(the ability of the mind to interact with quantum fields, possibly because the mind is a quantum field) are neither matter nor matter-based energy that can be measured. Yet it affects matter and energy. Is this what the soul is made of? Psionics? A conscious essence that is somehow neither matter nor traditional energy, but influences both?
Whether this is true or not is yet to be found, but is it not a valid science? Therefore not primitive. Admittedly, there are "primitive" christians, but I believe psionics make the soul, and therefore the supernatural, possible as quantum entities.
Actually, I was only calling it primitive because it is referred to as such in Mr. Dawkins' book.

I don't at all believe that Christianity is primitive.
You were being sarcastic. That passed right over my head, didn't it? I was mostly arguing against potential readers' responses to your article though, should've mentioned that. Oh well. That's bridge under the water already. >_> DYSLEXIA, You foul beast!

theevilsanta

Jun 18, 2010
I love Frankenstein, DH Lawrence, and Neil Gaiman. I'm not sure what they did to piss those people off.

I heartily agree with the OP's points about Outliers. My dad (who normally recommends descent non-fiction books to me) told me about it. I was shocked at how unscientifically he wrote about a field that is certainly ripe for real analysis. We aren't talking about abstract, philosophical ideas here, but a very observable phenomenon. Yet he spouts anecdote after anecdote as if that's supposed to support his point. And then he spottily references work done by real sociologists and experts in the field and dismisses them by spottily referencing other people that have done far more work than him.

I mean seriously, is his concept of rigorousness research reading the NY Times Science section once a week and watching a documentary once?

oranger

May 27, 2008
If you want to burn books, why not just create a new set of laws called "copyright"? that way, people can own IDEAS, thus keeping them all to themselves with legal protection regardless of consequences, where they came from or what they are constituted out of from the persons surrounding culture/social structures...oh wait...

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
"The Pearl" by whoever the bloody hell wrote that story. Gods I and then my sister had to suffer reading that piece of crap in middle school. Throw that damn book into the sea like that bloody pearl at the end of the story.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Wakikifudge said:
Any religious text. Seriously, the world would be a lot more peaceful without religion.
Humans have been cooking up excuses to kill each other since time began, religion is just another one of those interchangable excuses. Going to war to prove which book on morality and justice should be upheld...great move.

In fact that goes to all people going "THE BIBLE HERP DERP HERP" and any other books central to a religion, do you really think you're going to get some kind of prize for taking cheap shots at groups, creeds and gods that are grounded in the human story? But no sense trying to argue with you people, you refuse to believe anything but because I'm a Catholic I instantly hate the LGBT community, other religions and would start a war at the drop of a hat if I'm not busy lecturing someone about the way they should live the life that's in their hand. That I'm instantly okay, and indeed, proud of what horrible, blind acts people have commited in the name of religion (This is especially stupid, I mean if you come from the states are you going to praise the fact that you once had slaves and slaughtered the natives?).

OT: Two books that I read at a young age, "The web" and 'Ex-spelled". Don't get me wrong I absolutely love reading (I'm currently stuck into both Jurassic Park and the first in the Flashman series) and the burning of books is a truly despicable act in my eyes (No matter what the source material may be, the destruction of information and creativity is something I do not uphold) but these books are just so...awful. Awful characters, awful plots, they're like the literature equivalent of eating deep fried chicken shit.

Sorry to get all ragey in the first two paragraphs, I just knew coming into this thread people were going to post unjustifiable nonsense like that. Now if you'll excuse me I'm off yell at Protestants and picket the funeral of a soldier.

Panda Mania

Jul 1, 2009
Any book based on a movie franchise. Those....things with their pretentious cinematic covers can burn in hell...

Blind Sight said:
Azure-Supernova said:
I want to say the Bible... but the bible saved me once when a free mini-bibe I got at school came in handy as fuel for a fire on a cold camp night.
Yet another piece of 'non-fiction' that I'd like to see have a massive-ass bibliography in the back just to explain how they got to their conclusions. Course, it'd probably look something like this:

Works Cited:

1. God
Yeah, that's exactly what it'd look like. >.> Actually, what annoys me is when my fellow Christians are all like, "How do we know the Bible is true?" and then they go and quote BIBLE verses as 'evidence.' Self-verification...really, guys? Try getting by with that in any English class.

Sep 14, 2009
Nieroshai said:
The Austin said:
[HEADING=1]
[/HEADING]

Anyway, now that that mandatory thingy-majigger is over, I'm going to go for the exact opposite of what I just warned about. I think that Richard Dawkins' The God Dilemma needs to get burned. Why? Because I'm allowed to believe what I want, and having a book calling me a dumbass isn't going to change my mind.
Is it really so wrong that I believe in something rather primitive? No sir, no it is not. It may be primitive, silly, all around unlikely, but you know what? It makes me happy. So I reserve the right to believe that there is an invisible man in the sky.

Edit: It's actually called The God Delusion. I apologize to any fans, readers, or devout worshipers of this piece of literature that I may have offended.
I agree on the right to believe in whatever. However, you note Christianity as primitive. Not trying to be a dick at all, just ranting on a point.
Believing in a religion is more than superstition. Superstition is primitive because it is created by one's own imagination rather than genuine thought, and can be disproven.
Nobody has disproven whether there is a god or not, whether there is a soul or not. And a lot of philosophical and logical process goes into apalogetics(defending the validity of the religion). My best example is that psionics fit in with quantum theory, but psionics(the ability of the mind to interact with quantum fields, possibly because the mind is a quantum field) are neither matter nor matter-based energy that can be measured. Yet it affects matter and energy. Is this what the soul is made of? Psionics? A conscious essence that is somehow neither matter nor traditional energy, but influences both?
Whether this is true or not is yet to be found, but is it not a valid science? Therefore not primitive. Admittedly, there are "primitive" christians, but I believe psionics make the soul, and therefore the supernatural, possible as quantum entities.
damn interesting post, good stuff sir, i'd give you a cookie but im too lazy to get one =P

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Wakikifudge said:
Any religious text. Seriously, the world would be a lot more peaceful without religion.
No. The world would be a lot more peaceful without people using religion as an excuse to hate.

The Clinger

Dec 30, 2009
BlindTom said:
None of them. It's really upset me that this thread contains cretins willing to go along with this. Hopefully they are 12 and will outgrow this shit.
Oh yes great moral one. Thank you for pointing out my evil ways.

Epilepsy

Sep 16, 2010
I want to say something deep, witty and intelligent, but i just can't go past twilight.
I may look like i'm jumping on the bandwagon here, but i had the misfortune of inflicting the first book upon myself, and have not read a fiction novel since.

If any book has ever needed to be erased from history, it is this.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
The Austin said:
[HEADING=1]
[/HEADING]

Wow, your so original in your thinly veiled bashing of Dawkins as anyone else.. *eyerolls*

Delusion was a title hook for the book. Why not read it for once, instead of copying all the negative responses on Amazon under it for bandwagon effect, eh?

You fully have the right to be happy and content, no one is telling you differently. As long as you maintain you are wanting to be happy and content for the right reasons, rather than simply believing for the sake of believing.

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
Haseo21 said:
AnOriginalConcept said:
Haseo21 said:
Cathcer in the Rye, that book sucked like hell.
NO WAI.

Seriously, I loved that book. I felt like I was in that guy's head.
Than your a phony, LOL :D
Kill the phonies!

Seriously though i wouldn't ever want to burn any book.

EDIT: Oh wait, now that i think about it there is one book i'd burn: Dianetics by L Ron Hubbard. I'd have people going Christian extremely Christian than converting to Scientology. At least the christian church doesn't charge that much.